Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 07-10-2011, 12:51 AM
feralfae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooms Bright
I understand completely as at times I could crawl out of skin during the winter months. Living in Maine provides many opportunies to snowshoe and such, however I need to connect to the earth *literally* I know this may sound awkward, but I keep a tote of garden soil. When the need arises I go play in the dirt! On occasion I have used it for meditation. Standing in the dirt, envisioning my feet as roots.
I also do not have a widow in my office, so I made one. Used an old window frame, sunny blue wallpaper, and placed shutters on each side. I then placed a lined window box beneath it and planted flowers. And as for the horrid fluorescent lights...I refuse to turn them on, instead brought in a couple of lamps.
I know that these options aren't for everybody, but our mental health is to important to ignore. I really love living my lifestlye and being intune with the seasons. Sometimes I just have to be creative.
I wish you well and hope you find some solstice. As always~ Bright Blessings

I like that. One of the best experiences in my life was literally being planted. I stood in a gardening pot. My husband filled it with dirt and watered me! For me, that put traditional grounding to shame. And I don't think it sounds awkward at all. I frequently go play in the dirt. Of course, you're talking to the girl who literally takes salt water baths. ;-)
Old 07-10-2011, 02:13 AM
CuriousSnowflake

My wife has a form of SAD where her body processes Vitamin D too quickly. During the summer months the extended sunlight makes up for it, but as soon as October rolls around she gets serious depression, mood swings, and carbohydrate cravings. She now takes once-weekly massive D doses from October to March and it makes all the difference in the world. They require a prescription, but they're not too pricey. Give it a shot if you're not too much of a pharmacophobe.

CS
Old 07-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Sungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
Sungirl, I meant no personal offense to you and I'm sorry if it came off that way. I get a bit passionate about the topic. O_O; I'm aware that SAD has been determined to have the external causes you mentioned, but I also wonder if at least some of it is psychological. The way you framed your question made me think about that, since it is a possible reason that Neopagans would have more cases of SAD (e.g. greater attunement to the seasons = more SAD).

I can say that I can link my SAD to a change in physical circumstances in my life. My first job (where i spend most of my daylight hours) was at a garden centre, in a glass house. Then I moved to an office job, but I sat next to a MASSIVE south facing single glazed window. Also for both jobs I used to rise at about 8am. It is still heading towards daylight through the year at this time, maybe in the depths of winter but it was only for a short time.

Now I am working in a strip light lit office with a tiny window the other side of the office and I am getting up between 6 and 6.30am. It was full dark this morning at 6am.

This totally coincides with when I started sobbing in the shower every morning in the winter, for no reason at all.

Now, with my light and the Vit D3 I am still dragging myself around with brain fog and filled with apathy, but I have stopped sobbing in the mornings. Says to me that this is a chemical imbalance along with messed up circadian rythms to me.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Sungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousSnowflake
My wife has a form of SAD where her body processes Vitamin D too quickly. During the summer months the extended sunlight makes up for it, but as soon as October rolls around she gets serious depression, mood swings, and carbohydrate cravings. She now takes once-weekly massive D doses from October to March and it makes all the difference in the world. They require a prescription, but they're not too pricey. Give it a shot if you're not too much of a pharmacophobe.

CS

I can get Vit D3 really cheap over the counter here. I take 5000 iu (or is that ui? can never remember) every day, even through the summer. I have been told that because it is a vitamin that you cannot control (i.e. too much sun) then the body gets rid of what it doesn't need, so you can't take too much. I have been told that 10,000 a day is a good limit, so I can go up higher if I want to, just trying to keep the number of tabs I take a day down if i can.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:23 PM
CuriousSnowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sungirl
I can get Vit D3 really cheap over the counter here. I take 5000 iu (or is that ui? can never remember) every day, even through the summer. I have been told that because it is a vitamin that you cannot control (i.e. too much sun) then the body gets rid of what it doesn't need, so you can't take too much. I have been told that 10,000 a day is a good limit, so I can go up higher if I want to, just trying to keep the number of tabs I take a day down if i can.

My wife's SAD is a little to strong for the over the counter. Her prescription is 50,000 iu, but she takes it weekly, not daily. Also, it's not a matter of it being a vitamin you can't control, it has to do with whether a vitamin is water or fat-soluble. Water-soluble vitamins, like D and C, are impossible to overdose on because the body cannot store them. You use what you need and any excess gets flushed out of your system. Fat-solubles (like K if I remember correctly) the body stores, so you have to be careful about the dosages.

CS
Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Sungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousSnowflake
My wife's SAD is a little to strong for the over the counter. Her prescription is 50,000 iu, but she takes it weekly, not daily. Also, it's not a matter of it being a vitamin you can't control, it has to do with whether a vitamin is water or fat-soluble. Water-soluble vitamins, like D and C, are impossible to overdose on because the body cannot store them. You use what you need and any excess gets flushed out of your system. Fat-solubles (like K if I remember correctly) the body stores, so you have to be careful about the dosages.

CS

I'm on 35,000 a week, just take it in more doses. Don't get on well with docs, they tend to try to fob me off. Not sure what country you are in Snowflake but here in the UK I have found that unless they can give you Anti-D's, Anti-B's or painkillers they're not interested.

Went the other day to talk about my possible candida and was told it is a myth. They are doing tests for other things but I'm not holding out hope that they will find anything. Gotta love them!!!
Old 13-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Szalvias

Honestly, Sungirl, if you are suffering from SAD as badly as it seems, perhaps you should look into actual psychiatric medication. I hate to recommend that since I dislike the idea of taking more pharmaceuticals than is strictly neccessary , and some people associate a stigma with psychiatric meds. I don't mean to imply anything negative here. I also suffer from SAD and the doctor prescribed medicine that helped a lot. I am also obsessive compulsive, so it was a bit tricky to find something that addressed the depression from SAD as well as the OCD, but we found something that works eventually.
If, as you say, you are having regular depression such as random fits of crying this may be worthy of investigation. If you are bothered enough emotionally, the effects tend to spread and eventually you will suffer spiritually and physically as well. My advice is to see a therapist or psychologist first to assess what methods you can use.
Also there is the idea of using the lamps that has already been suggested.
Old 13-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Sungirl

Hey there.

Since this started each winter has been better. As I learn more about it and about myself I have added new methods of dealing with it.

I have a SAD lamp and one day I will hopefully be able to afford a sunrise lamp to help with the tiredness of getting up in the dark.

I really really don't want to take meds. I can safely up my dose of Vit D3 if I need to and that would be my next step.

In the past I was prescribed some diazapan for panic attacks and I hated the way it made me feel. I much prefer to "white knuckle" my way through it.

There is a possible change on the horizon. I may be changing jobs. I have pretty much had it with this one so may start looking. But, I will be looking for the "right" job, and that will include, if possible, an office that is well lit by sunlight, or a desk next to a window. It all depends on how things go over the next few months with the nightmare person I have to share an office with!!!

I may also look more local, which would mean less of a journey so a later get up time.