Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 24-08-2020, 09:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Ask Bg. Jn. he brought it up.

No matter what tribe N.s. is, there are churches there.

Do you personally think a Christian has to go to Church ?
Old 24-08-2020, 10:37 AM
Master
Personally I think Christianity is quite phenomenal. From the actions and teachings of one 'being' you end up with the largest religion on earth.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 24-08-2020, 02:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Do you personally think a Christian has to go to Church ?

When talking about Faith and the answer to the call of the Holy Spirit to believe, I see a certain amount of it is, "predestination".

One doesn't have to go to church, but it is helpful.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 24-08-2020, 03:05 PM
ketzer

Growing up Christian meant Catholic. Having grown up and taking a look for myself, the scope widened considerably. Christians all claim to be members of a kind/flavor/variety/sect of a religion that centers around the life and teachings of Jesus. Other than that, the field of what Christians believe and how they practice those beliefs, inside and/or outside of any church varies considerably. Looking at them through the always distorting lenses of my own eyes, some seem to be based on a foundation of love, compassion, and acceptance, while others seem to be based more on hate, justice, and judgment. Some seem to be based on the eye for an eye and fire and brimstone of the old testament, and later the 'revelation(s)' in the new. While others stress to love thy enemies and the beatitudes. Some focus on interpretation and strict conformation to the bible, while other see the bible as a book of inspiration, but approach things based more on the practice of love and compassion in everyday life. And of course within any given sect there is great variety between groups and within the individuals themselves, similar to the way it is with most any major religion, it is more like religions. There is also great variety to be found with respect to historical Christianity as well. All of that is what Christianity means to me. What of all that is of God and what is of man is all subject to subjective interpretation, discussion, and debate.

Anyway, realizing all of that, I decided that I would not call myself a Christian, since to the person I would be saying that to, it could mean just about anything, and few would bother to ask me to clarify. It is easier and more accurate just to say I admire the figure of Jesus, and try to follow him and many of his teachings as best as I can understand either.
Old 24-08-2020, 03:18 PM
Master
Hopefully also you understand that "Saved", means rescued.
And "Grace", means unmerited favor.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 24-08-2020, 03:57 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Hopefully also you understand that "Saved", means rescued.
And "Grace", means unmerited favor.

I understand that perhaps the one I need to be 'saved' from is first and foremost myself, and that though I may seek inspiration and help along the way, ultimately, I am the only one who can and must do so.

And I understand that "Grace", means God's unmerited, eternal, and unconditional, love. I can ask for favors, but many will not be granted, but I might have faith that it is because of that ever present Grace, and draw strength from that, it is an amazingly powerful feeling for the wretched to lean upon.

Old 24-08-2020, 04:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
I understand that perhaps the one I need to be 'saved' from is first and foremost myself, and that though I may seek inspiration and help along the way, ultimately, I am the only one who can and must do so.

And I understand that "Grace", means God's unmerited, eternal, and unconditional, love. I can ask for favors, but many will not be granted, but I might have faith that it is because of that ever present Grace, and draw strength from that, it is an amazingly powerful feeling for the wretched to lean upon.

It's a case of the wretched leading the wretched
Old 24-08-2020, 05:24 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
My question is, "What does Christianity mean to you?"

I am an agnostic and science-oriented person but I grew up in a Christian context/family and went to a Christian school. At school I recall the moral 'lessons' from the New Testament, which was nice. Every morning we had to sing psalms which I did not like!

I associate Christianity a lot with ''tradition''. Religions are a sort of glue that keeps (or kept) things together in a society. My country and continent are Christian. I do respect the tradition and the impact it has had on our history and culture. I don't think there has been another religion around that has inspired this many people to fight for human rights. Where many other religions view poverty and crime as punishment from past life sins, Christianity has worked to improve societies with a no-nonsense attitude.

Of course the negative aspects are easy to point out as well; It is exclusivist and judgemental. It is easy to write a narrative from that, but I think this forum is in need of some balancing..
Old 24-08-2020, 05:35 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
It's a case of the wretched leading the wretched
No wonder why I keep spiraling down!
Old 24-08-2020, 05:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
I am an agnostic and science-oriented person but I grew up in a Christian context/family and went to a Christian school. At school I recall the moral 'lessons' from the New Testament, which was nice. Every morning we had to sing psalms which I did not like!

I associate Christianity a lot with ''tradition''. Religions are a sort of glue that keeps (or kept) things together in a society. My country and continent are Christian. I do respect the tradition and the impact it has had on our history and culture. I don't think there has been another religion around that has inspired this many people to fight for human rights. Where many other religions view poverty and crime as punishment from past life sins, Christianity has worked to improve societies with a no-nonsense attitude.

Of course the negative aspects are easy to point out as well; It is exclusivist and judgemental. It is easy to write a narrative from that, but I think this forum is in need of some balancing..

Thanks for your 'balanced' view.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜