Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 20-01-2024, 11:49 AM
Guide

My cat is a pain at night

I love my cat very much. I've only had her for a few months as she belonged to my now deceased mum.

My mum only had her for two years as she was rescued from a bad home and has a lot of trauma. Despite that she's come far and I'm very proud of her.

She is probably around 11 or 12 years.

The problem is she wants to be out at night. I can't have a flap fitted for many reasons. I work from home so I can open the door for her in the day, but when she wants to go out for 3 or 4 hours during the night it's very disruptive and I'm shattered all day.

She meows non stop until I open the darn door!

I know I'm too soft but I live in a flat and I don't wan to shut her in the lounge due to her trauma.

Any tips from cat lovers?
Old 20-01-2024, 12:31 PM
Master
Does she do this mostly during the twilight hours? If so, she might be expressing her crepuscular nature which is normal for cats.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 20-01-2024, 12:35 PM
Guide

Hi BigJohn, no the pattern tends to be around 2am to 5am, sometimes 6am. She does like to be out around dawn which I'm guessing is quite common for cats.

It doesn't help that my dog often needs to visit the garden around 1 -2am to do her business, so that wakes the cat up and she decides to go out.

Honestly, these animals are more disruptive than children!

I know I need to try and get my cat into a pattern which isn't quite so disruptive for me. If she would stay out until my waking time it wouldn't be so bad.
Old 20-01-2024, 12:54 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemera
Honestly, these animals are more disruptive than children!
Oh, don't get me started. BUT, there IS hope.
The BEST book ever on cats --I could tell you stories when I was only on page 7!

How to Get Your Cat to What you Want, Warren Eckstein
Payback for your great 3 card Reading and then listening to me !!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 20-01-2024, 01:38 PM
Guide

That book sounds great! Once I next have money (just had to pay a HUGE vet bill for my dog :() I will get it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 20-01-2024, 09:02 PM
Ascender

She's safer inside. When I had indoor/outdoor cats, once they came in for dinner, they were in for the night. The last of my outdoor cats passed away at 16 last year. My current cats have never been outside so they don't ask. I had one cat who was an absolute pest sometimes wanting to go out in inclement weather. He would meow "Meo-o-o-o-u-t!" over and over. It would drive anyone batty. Try redirecting him as you would a toddler trying to climb up on the cabinets. Offer him a treat and pull out the feather wand or get a piece of yarn or string long enough to trail behind you and get him to chase it as you walk/run through the house until he's tired. Break out the catnip is another option.
Old 21-01-2024, 04:16 PM
Guide

Well in essence I agree with you Traveler. It's just far from simple with my cat. She's had trauma which involves being shut in places and she is used to (and needs) a certain amount of freedom. That's why I said I can't shut her in my lounge. Plus my health means I need my sleep and nights upon nights of her meowing would wreck both of us! She has cat toys and does play with them, but ultimately she wants to go out. It's easier in warmer weather as she'll be out all day and in at night. In the winter, I think she is safer out in the small hours than she is 4-8pm when it's dark in the UK. I think this probably will resolve itself as the weather warms up as she does always come in by late evening, she just doesn't always stay in, lol.
Old 21-01-2024, 07:27 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemera
She's had trauma which involves being shut in places and she is used to (and needs) a certain amount of freedom.

Bach's Pet Rescue Remedy does wonders for trauma. It does take time though. But it has helped my daughter and dogs get over their fear of thunderstorms. And earplugs are great for sleeping soundly if you're a light sleeper and wake up to the slightest noise.
Old 22-01-2024, 04:29 PM
Guide

Thank you Traveler. Really good to know. I will look into that.

It's milder here and she spent the day out yesterday, came in during the evening and slept all night. Yay!
Old 01-02-2024, 02:13 AM
Suspended
Master
Something I tried with an old cat we had -> I tried giving her some vitamin E once or twice a week. She lived to at least 22 (we had her for about 22 years). I also read that cats make vitamin C, but giving them some vitamin C might help them. Probiotics might also be good for cats. I never tried it with our cats, though.