Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 14-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Master
Unhappy Not feeling "Christmassy"

I used to love the vibes this time of year....thinking of Jesus and the spirit of giving and all that.... This year I just feel dead inside...let's get it over with. I don't feel any Christmassy vibes from people this year. I think to most people Christmas is just about eating and drinking and greed and obligations to make a big splash and impress everybody. Is anyone on the forum actually having a storybook Christmas? If so please share. Maybe I'll remember what it used to feel like.
Old 14-12-2010, 02:02 PM
hippocratie

We still have 11 days to warm up to it. It only feels like Christmas during that final week countdown. Shure the malls take advantage of the whole month but you know what that's about.
It's been raining for days, any snow that we had is gone. Right now I think the snow is what is missing most from the holidays. Never actually had a green Christmas although one year it only started snowing on Christmas Eve.
Old 14-12-2010, 02:59 PM
ccy

Hi Uma. My feelings for Christmas are different each year. Two years ago I never even put up a tree. This year I hauled the rubber tree into the living room the first week of December, decorated it and have been playing carols all month. Ebb and flow of life and all that. BTW, I'm not into the Santa/Rudolph/Frosty the Snowman nonsense and all. I have a few CDs of 12th-16th century carols. That music is the real deal, and really gets my soul and spirit soaring. Maybe try that.

Last edited by ccy : 14-12-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 14-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Neville

posted by ccy

Quote:
go with what you're feeling (or not feeling).

This seems good sound advice to me.

For me the Spirit of Christmas picks it's time to manifest and may prove quiet elusive if actively sought. The magic has not happened for me yet this year either. I am guessing it will when and if it wants to.
Old 14-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
I used to love the vibes this time of year....thinking of Jesus and the spirit of giving and all that.... This year I just feel dead inside...let's get it over with. I don't feel any Christmassy vibes from people this year. I think to most people Christmas is just about eating and drinking and greed and obligations to make a big splash and impress everybody. Is anyone on the forum actually having a storybook Christmas? If so please share. Maybe I'll remember what it used to feel like.

Yes, we are and there are plenty reasons not too if I dwell on them but there are even more reasons to look forward to it as far as my family is concerned.
One is that we have our first grandson celebrating his 2nd Christmas. He was 1 years old at the end of July so he is at a perfect age this year.
The other is we have each other and we really enjoy everything about the holiday and it's traditions.
This year we have an "Elf on the Shelf" to work into the holiday. We never heard of this but apparently it has been around for ages.
We also have a "Twas the night before Christmas" book that tapes your voice, which is pretty cool.
I think, to most people, Christmas has become something different and yet something just as special.
Yes, Jesus seems to be more in the background but the spirit of Christmas and joy and fun and family is what is what is in the foreground and I think he would be proud to see that.
But for the record, we have a manger scene in the house and we put baby jesus in it on Christmas eve and I have one outside as well that I built in the front yard.
James
Old 14-12-2010, 03:21 PM
ccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
posted by ccy: go with what you're feeling (or not feeling).

This seems good sound advice to me.
Heh, I deleted that comment because I assume older folks like you, Uma and myself already live that aspect of life. It becomes a kind of self-preservation mantra around age 45.
Old 14-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Guide
I feel this way too! I've felt it for years. I guess because I'm not a
little kid anymore and I use to rely on my drive for toys to give
me the spirit. Or maybe it's because half my family (My sister, her daughters and her husband)
are across the country. Idk I just can't get my self
in the spirit. It just feels boring after 15 years. Well the night is young
it's not Christmas yet so there's still time
Old 14-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Hey Uma,

Youre not alone i hate christmas always have since a child, ppl getting together when they cant be bothered any other time of the year,
im a giving person i give gifts but dont like recieving them, id rather ppl be as they are all year round not just for christmas,
but the ppl i speak to are feeling dread because of the cost its not about what it should be about anymore, its all money orientated, and with the recession still with us ppl panic buying on credit, not realising the cost after christmas
the new year is a busy time, depression rises etc,
i have a neighbour of 99 who sees her family but a lot of the time is on her own, i go see her and keep her company for a while, but she says when she was a child they had one gift at christmas but everyone got together, and helped each other out.
stores were closed etc,
but now even some of those are open christmas day,
the kids of today get all year round so to them its just what can i have,

Namaste
Old 14-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Experiencer
Uma,

I think Christmas is definitely perceived differently, when you're a child and when you're an adult.
If you have children, then Christmas is seen through their eyes. And the spirit is there! Kids LOVE Christmas! If you don't, then family is the only thing that really makes this holiday special.

I don't have children. And we don't bother with gifts in our family. It is enough for us, just to get together and have a great dinner. Spend time together.

The commercial aspect of this season is not pretty. And "having" to buy people gifts, because you know they are buying you gifts. That's kind of a drag. Especially, when you see their reactions to your gifts, and they see yours, to theirs.
"Oh.....wow.....um.....thank you SO much Aunt Thelma. This sweater looks SO comfortable! With so many patches and pockets too!"
It's really funny and awkward, so I think that's why our family stopped the whole gift giving thing. Cause we just didn't want to fake it anymore.

And on that note, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) LOL!

Love and Blessings to All!
Old 17-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Master