Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 05-12-2018, 01:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
And I noticed that she's using a thumb style release.....drawing the string with the thumb and pointer finger.....and drawing the arrow on the right side of the bow (like Lars Anderson) ....that IS considered very old school!
Heh. I was watching that now as well, though she mainly seems to travel to Iran to learn her art.
Quote:
And one of the areas she was riding through...Lapland....that is adjacent to the area from which the People's of the Steppes originated from....
No. Lapland is in Fennoscandian Arctic Circle, no Steppe Culture there – I only chose that video, because it showed the sport beautifully.

Of Europeans, the Magyar-Hungarians do/did traditionally practice mounted archery.

The Eurasian Steppe map:
https://hungarians.weebly.com/upload...338027.jpg?730

Old 05-12-2018, 02:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
Gem
I agree.
Adaption exists. Fact. What makes adaptation possible? I say Spirit and mind changes the physical form.
Did monkeys adapt to humans or did monkeys adapt from Humans according to scientists? Including all science from when time began. Not just modern/natural science. Or did Humans and monkeys adapt from a single ancestor? Maybe monkey is a dying strand of adaptation. My science proves that.

They say apes and humans had a common ancestor.

Quote:
Evolution and it's theory evolved as a movement.(they moved in one direction. Prove God does not exist ((ME NO LIKE GOD))
The law I believe in ( Not theory ) is the law of Spirit and Truth. The hypothesis has been proven from countless observations by countless people and there is countless mounds of science based papers and writing. Spirit and Truth has transitioned from theory to law by experimental reproduction, fixed in it's single outcome.Same as Newton's law. Some know the correct experimental procedures other have incomplete procedures.

Newton's laws work every time they are tested.

Quote:
A heap of dry bones has neither Spirit nor Truth. Just some pieces of a puzzle that a movement uses to play 3 card Monty. Fact bones were found. They 'speak' something lived and something died. I was generous allowing 2 hole pieces from a 1000 piece puzzle.In reality scientist probably only have .00001% bone fragments of 10,000,000,000 possible full skeletons . You can not prove I am wrong.Fact. (amoeba/monkey/chicken or egg same thing)
Einstein's theories, Now that's some theories.
Big bang, I don't doubt it. prove who or what created the bang. Proving a creator that's my kind of science.

There was a progression from Newton, who was the first scientist who was free to speak free from Church persecution, and based his work on Copernicus and Galileo, both of whom were persecuted let alone condemned by the Church, and people such as Maxwell and Faraday continued to advance the work over 250 years when Einstein wrote Relativity. You are taking centuries of intense, rigourous, peer reviewed study and calling it a 'guess'.

Feynman explained the scientific process as, first you make a guess, then you test it to see if it is true. If the experiment doesn't work, you guessed wrong, so you make another guess and test that, and when your test eventually works, you have finally made the right guess. Theory is made of right guesses.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Heh. I was watching that now as well, though she mainly seems to travel to Iran to learn her art.

No. Lapland is in Fennoscandian Arctic Circle, no Steppe Culture there – I only chose that video, because it showed the sport beautifully.

Of Europeans, the Magyar-Hungarians do/did traditionally practice mounted archery.

The Eurasian Steppe map:
https://hungarians.weebly.com/upload...338027.jpg?730

You're right....without looking at a map...in my mind I was picturing Lapland as being farther to the east and not so much into the arctic circle as it actually is....

And yes....mounted archery runs all through middle eastern culture through Hungary and Turkey into Asia......this is just really interesting stuff and I'm going to have to research it more!

In the New World of course the horse was unknown till the Spanish brought them over.....

Aboriginal Americans (Native American's) didn't even have a word in there language for horse...at first, the Comanche called it Sarii (meaning a big dog)....later "puuku" meaning a horse was added to the Comanche language.

While they didn't know about horses initially....the Comanche caught on fast and became master horsemen and were as good with mounted archery as anyone on the planet coming to be feared by all as the "People of the horse"

When it gets down to it....a mounted archer was the equivalent of a battle tank in its day.....very hard to stop!

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 05-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Master
Quote:
And yes....mounted archery runs all through middle eastern culture through Hungary and Turkey into Asia......this is just really interesting stuff and I'm going to have to research it more!
Thanks for bringing the subject of archery up – it is fascinating to learn more about it and look at the different types of bows used.

Quote:
You're right....without looking at a map...in my mind I was picturing Lapland as being farther to the east and not so much into the arctic circle as it actually is....
This is a good map showing the different ecological zones people live/lived in, which then determined the kind of culture that developed:
https://d1ca4yhhe0xc0x.cloudfront.ne...Sci_img042.jpg

This didn’t mean that people wouldn’t trade. So, the similarity of our bows with the steppe people’s bows may very well have resulted from this trade and exchange of ideas (?). Besides, our horse’s close genetic relative is the Mongolian horse.

Quote:
While they didn't know about horses initially....the Comanche caught on fast and became master horsemen and were as good with mounted archery as anyone on the planet coming to be feared by all as the "People of the horse"
Interesting to look at their bows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sez4GNIOaNY

I do love these Iranian/Persian horseback archery videos though, the elation of high speed, spirit like the wind or wildfire – the ease, the charm and the elegance when sitting on the horseback hitting the targets plus this tradition of horseback archery allegedly goes back 10 000-12 000 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LleShqmazu8

Quote:
When it gets down to it....a mounted archer was the equivalent of a battle tank in its day.....very hard to stop!
Indeed:
https://www.historyonthenet.com/wp-c...Empire_map.gif

Old 05-12-2018, 09:23 PM
ImthatIm

Hey
I just want to say I was highly blessed by the visit and conversation here.
Thanks
Old 05-12-2018, 09:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient

Interesting to look at their bows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sez4GNIOaNY

That is a great video on the Comanche bow!

I've been trying to get a collection of authentic native American bows going for years!

It's hard though...there are so many fakes and reproductions out there that finding the real thing is tough to do.......I do have a few including a vintage Kickapoo bow(related to Apache's) that an anthropologist with Texas A&I university dated as late 1700's or early 1,800's

I have a Comanche bow I bought from an elder on the Brazo's Indian reservation near Waco Texas....it is authentic in the sense that it was made by a living Comanche elder who makes bows in the old way.....but it still feels like a reproduction some how....just me I guess.

all the native American bows I've seen... regardless of tribe have been "self bows" meaning made from splitting a single piece of wood where as the best old world bows were made of lamination's....strips of wood glued together such as the Northern Eurasian and Asiatic bows were.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:34 PM
Master
All this talk of history and shooting styles has made me think of my own shooting style...which some archery purists find....how shall I say?...a bit ba$tardized?

for starters....I shoot with the arrow on the left side of the bow like the English did and like modern target based archers do......but turn the bow to the top right about 45 degrees like horse mounted American Indians did.....

But where horse mounted archers in most cultures used a thumb style draw....like the Finnish woman in that video you posted.....

but while I have a posture that is a combination of target form and Indian form....instead of the "split finger" draw style found in target archery (that really comes from the Mediterranean...and known as a Mediterranean draw) I draw the bow with three fingers under the arrow like American Indians do....if you at my avatar closely...you can see that my three draw fingers are under where the arrow sits on the string.

The purists are often appalled!! That is until they see me put arrows on target....I have a archery range in my backyard and practice all the time with 3-D animal targets out to about 50 yards and I'm damn accurate!!!

I'll put it this way....you wouldn't want me hunting you!

Old 05-12-2018, 09:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
Hey
I just want to say I was highly blessed by the visit and conversation here.
Thanks

Your welcome and I've enjoyed your input!
Stay around...this thread seems to be getting some legs and the conversation might last for a while!

Old 05-12-2018, 11:02 PM
Master
Quote:
all the native American bows I've seen... regardless of tribe have been "self bows" meaning made from splitting a single piece of wood where as the best old world bows were made of lamination's....strips of wood glued together such as the Northern Eurasian and Asiatic bows were.
I guess our earlier models were “self bows” as well, till we caught on what the steppe people were doing.

Are these, what you call "self bows"? (We call them traditional wood bows):

http://www.puujousi.fi/images/puujousi.jpg

http://huntsm.com/6.JPG

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...QALgLVoyTVgMXJ

Still, the purists reckon that these old bows had/have their own individual character - their own soul in them, making them more magical to use and to have.

Quote:
The purists are often appalled!! That is until they see me put arrows on target....I have a archery range in my backyard and practice all the time with 3-D animal targets out to about 50 yards and I'm damn accurate!!!
Well, it is just you and your bow ... isn't it.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:30 AM
Master
Yes.....those all look like what would be considered "self bows" or sometimes "stick bows"

Made from splitting and carving down a single carefully selected branch.