Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 26-12-2020, 09:51 PM
Seeker

Beethoven's 9th and Human Evolution.

I believe that the first performance of Beethoven's 9th symphony would have been one of the most profound and moving moments in human history and evolution.

At the time, B would have been quite famous particularly with his symphonies. His music for them and even so for us now, is in some degree shocking and challenging.

His underlying theme has always been the struggle for freedom in its broadest sense and he has been quoted as saying that he saw himself as being a spiritual teacher for the uplifting of humanity.
He had been working on this symphony in a variety of guises for over 25 years and set himself the task of using this poem, the Ode to Joy.
In time, his previous symphony was completed 10 years earlier and much of the resulting time was spent on this symphony.

All of B's symphonies are an evolution that builds on the achievements of the ones that go before and so it is a profound challenge to symbolically through his music to further broaden humanities consciousness.
When completed, it was the longest symphony ever written and probably the most complex and difficult to perform with the added challenge of also being the first with a choral final movement.
The first performance was in Vienna on the 7th May, 1824. Imagine the situation, the orchestra for some reason had only practiced it twice.

This was quite inadequate for such a complex and difficult work that obviously had never even been heard before.
At the performance, there is great excitement and expectation. The audience, seeing B there start to cheer enthusiastically and he bows in appreciation.

The cheers are so prolonged that the Chief of Police who is in attendance has to call for quiet so that the proceedings can start.
The music starts and one must wonder what the performance must have been like? The second movement starts, goes wrong and has so start again! An hour or so later it comes to a dynamic and vigorous end as that is how long it is. B is there marking time but is unaware that it has finished and the audience starts to cheer in shocked and confused appreciation. B then has to be physically turned around to see the audience's applause and to reveal himself to be totally deaf!
It is even now for us 200 years later, incomprehensible to have written this music and to be deaf! The audience understands the situation and is described by someone who was there as being like receiving an "electric shock" and "volcanic explosions" of applause of "sympathy and appreciation" and was "repeated again and again and seemed like it would never end".
In the noble evolution of humanity, this must have surely been a profound moment, Humanity has received another gift to assist us on the way.

B, his music and the incarnate miracle of his overcoming deafness. Since then, the music has gone on to become universal as symbols of the human spirit overcoming repression and tyranny and the words have been translated into over 80 languages.
Just now at Christmas, I cannot but think of another time when humanity also received what I would think of as a similar gift.
The quotes are from George Grove's Beethoven's 9 Symphonies, a book I strongly recommend.
Old 26-12-2020, 10:29 PM
JustASimpleGuy

A masterpiece among masterpieces! https://youtu.be/rOjHhS5MtvA
Old 30-12-2020, 08:04 PM
Lorelyen

Well, he was an outright musical genius, already famous as a performer and there are people, me among them, who sense he'd never have been able to write music like that if he hadn't been deaf. He was SO able to rely on his inner ear. What he inwardly heard he knew exactly how to write down. And when we look at his scores, his orchestration, we have to admit he couldn't have done anything but get it right.

The 9th Symphony was far from the end.
Listen to the opening of his String Quartet Op 131 in C# minor. How more beautiful can it get? Or how more wild than the 5th movement with that weird scoring (sul ponte) near the end often called sounding like "rats feet on broken glass!"

Or the scherzo from his String Quartet Op 135 (almost his last work)... the trio sounds almost crazy but it was obviously by design if the listener can appreciate the intricacy of the music elsewhere in that Quartet.

Those very last works tell of his genius. Far from tiring out, he was taking music in a different direction, moving on.
Old 30-12-2020, 08:08 PM
What? I love it - we're talking about Beethoven?

C# minor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdDNeMIvhIo

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 30-12-2020, 08:21 PM
JustASimpleGuy

And then there's this. I love piano! https://youtu.be/N7pFgfIY2PE

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy : 30-12-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 13-03-2021, 10:46 AM
Seeker

Also Acknowledging Mozart's Genius

Something similar to what happened to Beethoven as I've described above also happened to Mozart some 38 years earlier.
Mozart's opera The Marriage of Figaro was first performed in 1786. One of the singers in the first performance described the first rehearsal of the baritone aria, Non piu andrai.
"Ï was standing close to Mozart, who stood on stage, dressed in a crimson coat and a gold laced cocked hat, giving the beat to the orchestra.
The singer Benucci, sang with great animation and power and I heard Mozart saying softly, 'Bravo, Bravo, Benucci! The effect of the piece was electrifying itself, for all of the performers and the whole orchestra, actuated by a feeling of delight, shouted, 'Bravo, Bravo, Viva, Viva grande Mozart!
I thought they would never stop applauding!"
This is a quote from a music book of mine but I believe that it has come from a book called, Reminiscences of Mozart by Michael Kelly.
The profound experience of being in a group in the presence of a genius who has presented his work for the first time which everyone present realizes that the world will never be the same again, a true blessing has been bestowed.
Old 13-03-2021, 12:18 PM
Master
In regards to Beethoven I just happen to listen to his first Symphony and thought, how fresh and innocent in comparison to the ninth. Like a flower bud just opening in comparison to a fully opened flower.
Old 27-11-2021, 10:42 AM
Seeker

A Film on B's 3rd symphony.

I discovered a few days ago a film about the first performance of Beethoven's 3rd symphony .It is quite a good film but it is telling a story and is free and easy with the truth but I think the spirit of the occasion is there. Beethoven's 3rd symphony was also a shocking revelation which he wrote something like 20 years before the 9th. In the film Haydn was there for the performance, a bit dubious actually, and the film ends with him saying, "everything is different from today” which is the point I was making about his 9th symphony and human evolution. The film is called, Ëroica”, made in 2003, (by the way, this means hero in French and not something else!)
Old 27-11-2021, 11:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtA7m3viB70
Free BBC movie on youtube 1 hr 23 min ''Eroica''
Watching it now! I am very familiar with the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th symphonies...so it
is a joy to watch!! Thank you. (My fave ? - always the 7th...I play a bit on the piano.)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru