Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 22-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elven Knight
As a solitalary practicioner, how does one go about working with voodoo spirits? Do they offer good spiritual protection, or is there a long term ramifications of self willed possesion after banishing?

David McCann's has given advice.

Since there are Hollywood scare-story inspired "issues" with Vodou on this site it's difficult to talk openly about it but basically yes, you'll need a teacher. If you're deadly serious you'll need to associate yourself with a peristyle and a voodoo priest/priestess and work your way through several stages. Your initial commitment will be kanzo.

You can do some self-study from books and articles on the internet but I'd advise to read very broadly as there's a load of bull stuff out there.

Old 22-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
If I may, I beg to differ. Vodouisantes work with the Loas and their powers to get things done - thus it is as religious as anything else about Vodou.
In your friend's case it was probably coincidental. One needs to charge the doll just as one does in "western magick" (but it's done differently).
Without being able to channel the powers of the Loa or Vudu spirits it wouldn't work.

Well it isn't for me to instruct anyone on how to do that but it can be learned !
It needs a huge amount of commitment for a non-Vodouisant.

You would learn which Loa to ask to help you, you'd need to make the right offerings and know how to attract them.
You need to find a teacher but it isn't easy!

I think the Hoodooists call it a poppet. Last time I heard it in the Caribbean it was a poupée which is French for doll.

thank you for explaining the differences. I am glad for the education as it broadens my knowledge of things I have little knowledge on and brings a better understanding of the different religions out there.
you are so right about the movies making everything so evil and scary.. that one experience with my friend was scary enough when the target actually got sick. she was angry with him when she did it so her intent may have been inadvertent but it seemed like it worked..
Old 22-06-2016, 10:20 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean
you are so right about the movies making everything so evil and scary.. that one experience with my friend was scary enough when the target actually got sick. she was angry with him when she did it so her intent may have been inadvertent but it seemed like it worked..

Voodoo's bad press comes from its origins back in the slaver days.
As you probably know the treatment slaves received was a best nasty, at worst doesn't bear thinking about.
The system was stacked against slaves. If a plantation owner bought 10 slaves the broker would ensure as far as possible
that the 10 came from different regions; spoke different languages, so they couldn't communicate.
The slaves however recognised common signs across their faiths - allowing them to develop communication which didn't go down well with the bosses.

Observing what they thought were "religious" practices, the Christians among the slavers condemned them as evil.
These "animals" had to be taught how to be civilised.
They meted out horrible punishments when the slaves were caught at their own ceremony.
But that didn't stop the slaves studying the Christian lithurgy and realise they could disguise their practices as Christian worship.

The Christian cross was central to this. It's shape came from Africa via Egypt millennia ago and was adopted by the Roman church.
It's actual symbolism is the "crossroads". The cross-piece represents the barrier between the road of earthly life (the bottom upright)
and the life herinafter (the upright above the cross piece).
That's why every revered person (were they a Pharaoh or Jesus), was set on a cross
with their head resting in the top section.
So most slaves already understood the cross!

Anyway, slaves learned to communicate, developed Voodoo as a process of communication and contact with their spirits and Loa
(there's no translation for Loa - they aren't Gods, they aren't angels. maybe you could call them demigods.
They look after different aspects of the living: farming, trades like smithing, love and family,
water and sailing; and looking after the spirits of the dead (the Ghede family.
The Ghede/Gede have been portrayed as the most sinister - Baron Samedhi, Baron Cimitière (the one who looks after the cemetery,) but
their main jobs are looking after the spirits of the deceased, guarding their knowledge; and the guardians of children.

(They do have a god, the Grand Legba, and a god mother, the senior Ezile (there are other Eziles (sometimes Erzule) further down the hierarchy. )

Ok, so the slaves, outnumbering their masters by many-to-one eventually rebelled and defended themselves against their oppressors
(which gave rise to some horrid press at the time - these savages dare attack their masters, utter evil manifested, you'd think. :(
Their leader was one of the maroons, Boukman Dutton, They called him Boukman because he had learned to read.

Hence, Voodoo/Vodou has persisted in the Hollywood and Christian mind as evil. Its religious aspects have been the most misunderstood of
all religions.

My own feelings are that it's rather beautiful, caring and intensely spiritual. Reverence for the dead and ancestors is central.

Anyway, I hope that explains a little of "why?".

Old 23-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Master
Quote:
My own feelings are that it's rather beautiful, caring and intensely spiritual. Reverence for the dead and ancestors is central.

I'm glad to hear that it's not an evil practice that we've been led to believe.
and your explanation of why really clarifies a lot.
thank you.
I am always happy to learn and this is a very interesting subject that I will certainly look into a little more.

do you have any recommended reading on this?
Old 23-06-2016, 03:00 PM
Master
you can pm me if you don't want to post it. :)
Old 19-01-2021, 10:16 AM
Knower

I have found my way on Voudon and it is no laughing matter. There is much depth and sincerity therein. Thank you spiritual forums and my house for bringing me in