Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 25-12-2023, 11:53 PM
Knower

Should Christmas be abolished?

I've always been very interested in Christmas as a phenomenon. I've also always been very interested in the discussion around whether people think it's generally a good or bad thing. There have been times throughout history where Christmas has been abolished. We currently live in a time where that would be unthinkable.

If there was a hypothetical yes/no referendum, and you were forced to vote, no spoiled ballots, would you vote yes or no for abolition? Just hypothetically, a simple yes/no referendum.

If you care to expand on your answer, it would be very interesting to read the variety of opinions.
Old 26-12-2023, 04:09 AM
Master

.....NO....
It is such a beautiful , magical time , especially for children the world over .
It creates memories that we cherish forever and we pass those cherished memories down the generations through our children.
As we get older, it has a different meaning.
For me it is a time of reflection. A time to give thanks and be grateful for everything I have whilst thinking and praying for all those less fortunate.
It is a time of hope.
It brings people together and if nothing else it's a nice focal point at the end of another busy and challenging year .
That is my own personal opinion.
Old 26-12-2023, 12:08 PM
Master
Only Scrooge would vote to abolish it.....

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 26-12-2023, 01:17 PM
Newbie ;)

NO. No one should be prevented from celebrating their religious holidays.

People can choose to celebrate it the way they wish. I don't do too much but I enjoy the end of year coziness and quiet before the start of a new year.

If it were abolished, all religious celebrations and observances from every faith would have to be abolished too.
Old 26-12-2023, 01:26 PM
Master

To me what some call Christmas is Jul, the ancient winter solstice celebration. We have records of it at least 3000 years ago. And now as then, we celebrate with our best food and exchanging gifts and other suitable rituals. Bringing in a tree and decorating it is a very new tradition but I I embrace it, seeing it as a way to include and celebrate Mother Earth in our happy time. What power would have the right to end that? Oh, some have tried. Stalin, before ww2, abolished both Christmas and New Year celebrations. Other tyrants and dictators may have tried too.

I say, each has the right to fill this celebration with what meaning they choose. Each has the right to not celebrate, if that seems the right thing to them. But anyone who tries to take it from others are doing an evil thing, no matter what justification they claim.
Old 26-12-2023, 02:36 PM
Master
Isn't it called Yule, rather than Jul?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 26-12-2023, 02:43 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Isn't it called Yule, rather than Jul?

In English it is called Yule. I am Norwegian and in my language it is called Jul. One more word the English got from the vikings.
Old 26-12-2023, 04:01 PM
Ascender

No way. I love Christmas, and if we abolished it, then there wouldn’t be that time of year when we actively expect magic, happiness, love and friendship. The whole year would just be ‘normal’ life.
Old 26-12-2023, 04:10 PM
Guide
Lightbulb

I think there needs to be a separation between the true reason of Christmas (apparently Jesus was born....who knew!?) and the all too familiar Santa co-starring indulgent, mass consumerism.

There is scope for both events but let's not eclipse the authentic meaning with materialism!!!

I'm all for whatever brings out the best in others, which Christmas purportedly does so why not celebrate this is a newly marked/named event either near to the same date or on New Year's Day (which has more meaning to the majority).
Old 26-12-2023, 04:18 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Neil
No way. I love Christmas, and if we abolished it, then there wouldn’t be that time of year when we actively expect magic, happiness, love and friendship. The whole year would just be ‘normal’ life.

this is kinda what I think too. Life needs a few 'magical' moments strewn about to give people something a little different to dream about.