Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 09-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Knower

The me in me

I came across an interesting quote.

"The me in me is praying to me, to save the me in me, from the me in you"

The quote is attributed to the controversial Swami Nityananda.

What you say?
Namaskar
Old 09-08-2019, 05:25 PM
Deactivated Account

There are two things that exist. Physical reality and mental reality. Seems to me the quest is to live less and less in the mental reality. That quote seems like it would be from somebody fully in the mental reality.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:49 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday_Advaita

Hmm. Could be interpreted in various ways.

Does it make more sense if we express it as:

The me in ME is praying to ME, to save the me in ME, from the me in you.

Where me is the lower limited self and ME is the Higher Self.

So the lower self prays to the Higher Self to save the lower self from its reflections in other people.

One possibility.

Peace.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:10 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
There are two things that exist. Physical reality and mental reality. Seems to me the quest is to live less and less in the mental reality. That quote seems like it would be from somebody fully in the mental reality.

Well said.

The quote actually struck me as a denial of both - as there is neither a me nor a you - Well. What we make out depends on the texture of our individual experience.
Namaskar
Old 10-08-2019, 04:12 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Hmm. Could be interpreted in various ways.

Does it make more sense if we express it as:

The me in ME is praying to ME, to save the me in ME, from the me in you.

Where me is the lower limited self and ME is the Higher Self.

So the lower self prays to the Higher Self to save the lower self from its reflections in other people.

One possibility.

Peace.
Very Nice
A completely new perspective.
Namaskar
Old 10-08-2019, 04:41 AM
Master
Quote:
I came across an interesting quote.

The quote is attributed to the controversial Swami Nityananda.

What you say?
Namaskar
Whenever I listen to Swami Nityananda, I feel almost certain he is just trying to mentally confuse me on purpose, so as to stop me from thinking about anything he has actually said...please understand. LOL

I watched a very nice parody of him on YouTube the other day, with the cast of Big Bang Theory, which had me in stitches:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yCXDR68MUh0

All that above quote illustrates to me, is that he has tied himself up in so many mental knots, that he can't get out of it.

It also goes to illustrate the fallacy of non dual "logic" in that "I am ME", but another is also "ME" but in Non-Dual awareness, there is no "other" despite
them also being "ME" to be 'saved' from anyway...please understand.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Whenever I listen to Swami Nityananda, I feel almost certain he is just trying to mentally confuse me on purpose, so as to stop me from thinking about anything he has actually said...please understand. LOL

I watched a very nice parody of him on YouTube the other day, with the cast of Big Bang Theory, which had me in stitches:

http://<b><font color="Red"><font si...nt></font></b>

All that above quote illustrates to me, is that he has tied himself up in so many mental knots, that he can't get out of it.

It also goes to illustrate the fallacy of non dual "logic" in that "I am ME", but another is also "ME" but in Non-Dual awareness, there is no "other" despite

Hilarious! Shivani ... you shouldn’t spring these without warning!

Old 10-08-2019, 08:07 AM
Master
... .... ....
Old 10-08-2019, 08:26 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yCXDR68MUh0

Hello Shivani
While I have no reason to differ with you on Swami Nityananda, my close friend who has interacted with him has following to say -

"Swami Nityananda is known for many outlandish statements made nonchalantly. Of course, based on this, many memes float around. But, you should meet him. He can shock you beyond what you can imagine. He is an interesting guy to meet"

All of us respond to various inputs in many different ways. The above quoted statement of Swami Nityananda evoked in me a flash of non-separation between a me and a you. The element of "saving", I reckon is just a metaphor.
Namaskar
Old 10-08-2019, 09:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Hello Shivani
While I have no reason to differ with you on Swami Nityananda, my close friend who has interacted with him has following to say -

"Swami Nityananda is known for many outlandish statements made nonchalantly. Of course, based on this, many memes float around. But, you should meet him. He can shock you beyond what you can imagine. He is an interesting guy to meet"

All of us respond to various inputs in many different ways. The above quoted statement of Swami Nityananda evoked in me a flash of non-separation between a me and a you. The element of "saving", I reckon is just a metaphor.
Namaskar
Yes, I understand that and I also realise he would be an interesting guy to meet.

In fact, I was quite impressed by his interview with Dr Rajiv Malhotra on the Shaiva Sampradaya and the persecution of Hindu holy men for conducting pujas in the homes of Dalits:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t0JftnvuwSU

There are a few serious offerings, but I need to wade through the mountains of off the cuff, outlandish statements to find them...so I don't bother much with Swami Nityananda anymore because of this.

I have looked through a lot of the modern Shaivite sects with their popular gurus, from Nityananda to Sadhguru (Jaggi Vasudev) and they all just seem just too flashy for me and don't make much sense.

If I lived in India and really wanted to associate myself with something along those lines, I really like Avdhoot Shivanand Babaji and the Shivyog tradition.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JBW8BQpjvlQ