Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 13-06-2023, 10:36 AM
Master

Churches

I’ve noticed here in this country Australia that a lot of churches are getting renovated and turned into beautiful homes.

Statistics here show that Aussies don’t attend church anymore so many of them are abandoned or left derelict.
In fact I have only met two people in the last fifty years that go to church regularly.

So I was just wondering whether this is happening in other countries

We have a huge following of the New Age movement and spirituality so I guess we are not totally savages LOL

Anyway thought it would be interesting to know how other countries are doing.

Last edited by Redchic12 : 13-06-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Old 13-06-2023, 03:52 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
We have a huge following of the New Age movement and spirituality so I guess we are not totally savages LOL
Redchic12,

With the exception of oppressed countries churches will continue to see a decline in interest and participation. In large part much of this can be attributed to a descent into tribalism. Their survival increasingly is dependent on their appeal to narrow demographics…..meaning specific political leanings, race, education, wealth etc. Like minded people are their targets. Judgement becomes a visible characteristic trait of these churches….Jesus might recognize them as Pharisees. Along with this rush to judgement comes the embracement of conditional love….in other words….we will ‘love’ you IF you agree with our beliefs. All of this IMO is antithesis to the Christian ideal.

You speak of a huge following of the New Age movement. Can this actually be quantified in any way ? Do they meet in large groups, etc ? I have my suspicions that this is given as a default answer to avoid being judged as ‘savages’……������. The New Age movement has its own problems…..notably being self centered and a servant of the ego. Not sure that there are good answers to these dilemmas other than to say that the pursuit of love might be the ‘pearl of great price’…….
Old 13-06-2023, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
The New Age movement has its own problems…..notably being self centered and a servant of the ego.
Whoa, Mo... what an outrageous thing to say. People in every genre can do that.
New Age people, too. The ones I know know all about ego and that is the thing making them feel separation from God - by any name.
That is the thing to go past, in other words.

''savages'? Where do you come up with these things? Really - who do you hang around with? Who do you listen to?

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 13-06-2023, 06:07 PM
Master
Quote Molearner [The New Age movement has its own problems…..notably being self centered and a servant of the ego.]

Is that the 'Ego' judging others and is it just the 'New Age Movement' that has these problems ?
Old 13-06-2023, 06:36 PM
Master

Quote:
With the exception of oppressed countries churches will continue to see a decline in interest and participation. In large part much of this can be attributed to a descent into tribalism.
I am not sure what you mean by "a descent into tribalism". I agree that the number of people who regularly attend church seems to be falling.

A quick search finds a British survey which shows that in 1930 approximately 30% of the population regularly attended church services, but by 2013 this figure had declined to just over 10%. Another survey found that while around half of the UK's population identify as Christian, only 6 percent are “practicing” and active enough in their faith to attend church at least once a month.

The result was that between 2010 and 2020 over 2,000 churches in the UK closed, usually in rural areas, and many have been deconsecrated and converted into homes, as Redchic12 mentions.

But this was not consistent across all churches. Over the period 2005-2010, the major Christian denominations such as Anglican, Catholic and Presbyterian all saw falls in membership. Orthodox, Pentecostal and other new churches (Evangelical and Charismatic) on the other hand, saw an increase in membership.

Which suggests that the traditional denominations are not fulfilling the expectations of their members and providing sensible answers to spiritual questions. Whereas the new churches seem to offer a sense of connection and joint participation (with uplifting music as opposed to dreary hymns from past centuries). Not that I have personal experience of any of this.

Quote:
You speak of a huge following of the New Age movement. Can this actually be quantified in any way ? ...The New Age movement has its own problems…..notably being self centered and a servant of the ego.
I suspect that it cannot be quantified because the New Age movement is a very broad term covering a wide variety of beliefs and practices.

But when I look at what is now available compared with what was available back in the 1970s when I first became interested in these things, there is a huge difference. Back then you were lucky to find one shop in a city which sold New Age/Spiritual books along with all the accessories. Now even the smallest town seems to have a New Age shop. Not to mention everything we can purchase online.

And yes, the New Age movement has its fair share of glamour and silliness and people wanting to be seen as someone special. But there is also a lot of knowledge and wisdom being made available - we just have to use our discrimination.

And this is not surprising. Many people turn their backs on the established Church because they want to find spiritual answers within rather then looking to an external deity or saviour. For some of these people the spiritual journey within is relatively new and they have much to learn. Others encounter alternative spiritual teachings and it is like reconnecting with something very familiar.

We are all different, we are all wherever we are, but it all makes life interesting.

Peace
Old 13-06-2023, 06:59 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
Yes according to statistics we here in the UK are certainly loosing a lot of Churches, if people don't attend then the coffers become empty and they can't be maintained. Retreats and Meditation Centres are very popular and also Group meetings/Bible study etc: From my personal experiences I see that some have come to the conclusion that buildings don't contain God and being outside in Nature and enjoying the 'Wonders of the Universe' is preferable and awe inspiring.
I live very close to three beautiful Churches, the land on which the Church I can actually see from my window was donated by my Ancestor in 1850, this is Anglican and bursts at the rafters at weekends, the other two , one built in 1572 and the other fairly modern are also very well used.
Church buildings have changed over time to get funding for maintenance, crèches, keep fit classes, coffee mornings, breakfast clubs, various courses, youth clubs etc: are held in most of them here now, the times they are a changing, it's all good..... Jesus is out and about in the Community and not just confined to a building...
Old 13-06-2023, 07:45 PM
Administrator
In the next village to where I live when you saw a Chapel or church a few doors away you would find a pub.
Now there are only three pubs and two chapels.
the older generation still attend chapel every week.
The younger generation are not bothered.

Namaste
Old 13-06-2023, 07:52 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn

''savages'? Where do you come up with these things? Really - who do you hang around with? Who do you listen to?

In this particular case I was listening to Redchic12…….the quotation marks used to indicate the source…a careful reading of that post would have revealed that..sorry if you dislike responses to an OP……
Old 13-06-2023, 08:19 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I am not sure what you mean by "a descent into tribalism". I agree that the number of people who regularly attend church seems to be falling.
Iamthat,

Tribalism as I employ it is the result of churches seeking to differentiate themselves from other Christians. It results in separation from others instead of unity. Many churches quote the Nicene Creed which notably professes belief “in the one catholic(universal) church” and, then in practice, totally reject that. The proliferation of endless denominations is proof of that. What do we get ? We get strongly held beliefs such as: open communion vs closed communion, women pastors vs men only pastors, instrumental music vs no instruments, child baptism vs adult baptism….etc etc. They think that these ‘works’ validate themselves to God despite the fact that we are reliant on the grace of God. Tribalism reaches an even higher stage when it becomes obvious that your political leaning determines whether or not one will be accepted into fellowship…….
Old 13-06-2023, 08:31 PM
To Mo, Redchic was obviously being funny, re savages. I did not think you were...even now reading it again. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

(And pls rem - it's in the Rules. Sarcasm? a no-no.
I did not like your particular response.)
BUT, we better lay this to rest for the topic's sake.
PS the emojis you use do not show up on my screen, why, I have no idea; they don't come from our list ...
maybe they were joking around emojies?

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru