Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 05-10-2020, 08:54 AM
Master
Don't worry be grumpy. Ajahn Brahm.

Bananas are profound.

They are so commonplace we think we know everything about them. In fact, we don’t even know the correct way to peel a banana! Most people peel the banana from the stalk. However, monkeys, the experts on bananas, always hold the stalk and peel their bananas from the opposite end. Try it and see. You’ll find it much less troublesome following the “monkey method.”

In the same way, meditating Buddhist monks and nuns are experts on separating the mind from the difficulties that surround it. I invite you to follow the “monk method” of dealing with life’s problems. Like with peeling a banana, you’ll find life much less troublesome.

The Cracked Mug.

The death of a loved one changes our lives forever. Even the deaths of those we don’t know, such as the thousands who die in natural disasters, alters the way we think. Death is a fact of life, and when understood, it teaches us how to care.

Many years ago in Thailand, my teacher, Ajahn Chah, raised his ceramic mug.

“See this!” he told us. “It has a crack in it.

I looked closely at the mug but could see no crack.

“The crack is invisible now,” Ajahn Chah continued, “but it’s there. One day someone will drop this mug, and the crack will appear and split my mug apart. That is its destiny.

“But if my mug were made out of plastic,” explained my teacher, “then it would have no such destiny and no invisible crack. You could drop it, knock it, or even kick it, and it would not break. You could be heedless because it was unbreakable. But because my mug is fragile, for that reason you must care for it.

“In the same way,” Ajahn Chah began to emphasize, “your body has a crack in it. The crack is invisible right now, but it is there. It is called your future death. One day there will be an accident, a disease, or old age; then the crack will appear and you will die. That is your destiny.

“If your life lasted forever,” Ajahn Chah concluded, “if your life were unbreakable like a plastic mug, then you could be heedless. So it is precisely because our lives are fragile, because it is our destiny to die, that we must care.”

Understanding that relationships are also fragile like a ceramic mug is why we must care for each other. Comprehending that happiness has a crack in it teaches us to never to take joy for granted. Realizing that our lives will one day break apart makes us see that each moment is precious.

The Benefits of Being Blown Up

I travel in planes a lot — so frequently that many of my friends worry for my safety. Planes are a prime target for terrorists, and the more I step on a plane, the more likely a suicide bomber will blow me up.

In order to reassure my friends, I recount the three benefits of dying in an aircraft explosion at thirty thousand feet:

1. Instant cremation . If you have ever had to organize the funeral of a close relation, you will know how much work it is. You have to organize the funeral company, select the coffin, inform all the friends and relatives, take time off work for the ceremony, and, usually, feed your guests afterward. But if your grandma, for example, dies in a bomb explosion in mid flight, everything is taken care of. No need for funeral directors, coffins, or taking time off work. Even the scattering of the ashes is taken care of. This is the first benefit: an instant and worry-free cremation.

2. Cost-effective outcome . Funeral services, as they say, cost an arm and a leg (and the rest of the body for the one in the box). The relatives organizing the rites,understandably, cannot bring themselves to arrange a cut-price, special-offer-for-this-week-only funeral for dear old grandma. But if grandma died in an aircraft terrorist attack, not only would there be no funeral expenses, but the relations would get a substantial insurance payout from the airline company as well. At the end of the day, they would come out ahead from granny’s demise.
3. Fortunate next life . The best benefit is the last. If grandma expires in an aircraft explosion at thirty thousand feet, she passes away so close to heaven that it is fairly easy for her to go the rest of the way.

These are the reasons I’m not at all afraid of flying. It’s another example of overcoming anxiety with positive thinking.

He certainly looks at the ' Bright side of life '

https://e-libra.me/read/590380-don-t...be-grumpy.html
Old 05-10-2020, 04:32 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
But if my mug were made out of plastic,” explained my teacher, ...You could drop it, knock it, or even kick it, and it would not break. You could be heedless because it was unbreakable. Ajahn Chah

Quote:
Ajahn Chah kicked me in the chest and knocked me flat on my back! I looked up in shock,

heedless definition

adjective
showing a reckless lack of care or attention.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
heedless definition

adjective
showing a reckless lack of care or attention.

I know you become attached to certain ' Quotes ' but the last one has nothing to do with my Thread..... There is NO mention of anyone being kicked in the chest by Ajahn Brahm.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:07 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
There is NO mention of anyone being kicked....has nothing to do with my Thread

That was rather forceful and aimed at me! Peace and Love!

Yes, yes but kicking things is mentioned in the Ajahn Chah quote you posted here, two Ajahn Chah quotes posted within a day of each other both using the metaphor of kicking things, and there have been no mention of Ajahn Chah on these forums for ten months, the last quote or mention of him I believe was back in February other than the invisible one at the end of that other post no one responded to months ago.

Quote:
You could drop it, knock it, or even kick it, and it would not break. You could be heedless because it was unbreakable." Ajahn Chah

There is the Ajahn Chah quote you also posted above with the metaphor of kicking in it a day after the other quote was posted with the metaphor of kicking in it.

You have to admit that this is an unbelievable coincidence!

No posts about Ajahn Chah for ten months. Then suddenly two quotes referencing the same kicking concept as a teaching. Amazing really though I have an explanation for it. Our spirit guides can plant ideas in our minds in moments of silence, and coincidences like this are typical signs of such. They like to "mess" with us in various ways to promote learning and growth.

The whole kicking thing is obviously a metaphor as no way did a spiritual teacher of any merit actually kick a student in the chest for some small transgression. But perhaps some take a metaphoric story like this literally? (There is a very small chance it actually happened I suppose) But yes as mentioning of the other quote you responded to I assume based on the 10 month thing is distressing you in some way, and I guess that is why you made a whole new Ajahn Chah thread to distract or provide distance from the other Ajahn Chah thread and quote?

I will respect that and you and not post in this thread anymore. I have no interest in causing some distress in others or triggering them in some way. But then I also know to be true what I know to be true and that should not be repressed. But yes not put where it upsets others. I didn't overtly know this thread was specially made to draw attention away from a quote you don't want repeated or discussed and that is fine. I myself see some awesome deep meanings in it but whatever. If others see no value in some of his quotes that's fine too. Peace and love to you!

Really I should stop offering up my thoughts and insights on the quotes of others that others like to post as it tends to trigger people. It's not my intention to trigger people and cause them some upset, so that's fine. I won't comment on quotes anymore. I will never comment or post about another teacher again! Hold me to that! Now I will have a lot to say in my mind, but yea it will stay there! Well I might tell and discuss with some people I know in real life I totally trust to not be triggered by it lol.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:34 PM
Master
Quote:
That was rather forceful and aimed at me! Peace and Love!

Yes, yes but kicking things is mentioned in the Ajahn Chah quote you posted here, two Ajahn Chah quotes posted within a day of each other both using the metaphor of kicking things, and there have been no mention of Ajahn Chah on these forums for ten months, the last quote or mention of him I believe was back in February other than the invisible one at the end of that other post no one responded to months ago.

There is the Ajahn Chah quote you also posted above with the metaphor of kicking in it a day after the other quote was posted with the metaphor of kicking in it.

You have to admit that this is an unbelievable coincidence!

No posts about Ajahn Chah for ten months. Then suddenly two quotes referencing the same kicking concept as a teaching. Amazing really though I have an explanation for it. Our spirit guides can plant ideas in our minds in moments of silence, and coincidences like this are typical signs of such. They like to "mess" with us in various ways to promote learning and growth.

The whole kicking thing is obviously a metaphor as no way did a spiritual teacher of any merit actually kick a student in the chest for some small transgression. But perhaps some take a metaphoric story like this literally? (There is a very small chance it actually happened I suppose) But yes as mentioning of the other quote you responded to I assume based on the 10 month thing is distressing you in some way, and I guess that is why you made a whole new Ajahn Chah thread to distract or provide distance from the other Ajahn Chah thread and quote?

I will respect that and you and not post in this thread anymore. I have no interest in causing some distress in others or triggering them in some way. But then I also know to be true what I know to be true and that should not be repressed. But yes not put where it upsets others. I didn't overtly know this thread was specially made to draw attention away from a quote you don't want repeated or discussed and that is fine. I myself see some awesome deep meanings in it but whatever. If others see no value in some of his quotes that's fine too. Peace and love to you!

Really I should stop offering up my thoughts and insights on the quotes of others that others like to post as it tends to trigger people. It's not my intention to trigger people and cause them some upset, so that's fine. I won't comment on quotes anymore. I will never comment or post about another teacher again! Hold me to that! Now I will have a lot to say in my mind, but yea it will stay there! Well I might tell and discuss with some people I know in real life I totally trust to not be triggered by it lol.

' I guess that is why you made a whole new Ajahn Chah thread to distract or provide distance from the other Ajahn Chah thread and quote? '

Well you guessed wrong, I started a Thread which is Titled,
Don't worry, be grumpy. Ajhan BRAHM.... Nothing to do with Ajhan CHAH

If you had read it instead of ' Jumping the Gun ' it is all based on Ajhan Brahms Teaching's, He has an amazing sense of Humour and writes many books to make people see the amusing side of Life.

Be grumpy but don't accuse me of something I had no intention of doing, It was meant as a bit of fun but It obviously didn't amuse all. Not to worry, be grumpy...
Old 05-10-2020, 06:51 PM
janielee

sky123, suspicious minds, wow...

Sorry you had your thread disrupted I'm not a Brahm follower or fan per se, but appreciate you sharing those teachings that elevate you

jl

Last edited by janielee : 05-10-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
sky123, suspicious minds, wow...

Sorry you had your thread disrupted I'm not a Brahm follower or fan per se, but appreciate you sharing those teachings that elevate you

jl

I think suspicious people have something on their mind and look for reasons to validate their thoughts here there and everywhere, they make Mountains out of Molehills.... Instead of just either enjoying the Thread or ignoring it completely they need to look for something that isn't really there to justify their own feelings...
Old 06-10-2020, 05:45 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Bananas are profound.

They are so commonplace we think we know everything about them. In fact, we don’t even know the correct way to peel a banana! Most people peel the banana from the stalk. However, monkeys, the experts on bananas, always hold the stalk and peel their bananas from the opposite end. Try it and see. You’ll find it much less troublesome following the “monkey method.”

In the same way, meditating Buddhist monks and nuns are experts on separating the mind from the difficulties that surround it. I invite you to follow the “monk method” of dealing with life’s problems. Like with peeling a banana, you’ll find life much less troublesome.

The Cracked Mug.

The death of a loved one changes our lives forever. Even the deaths of those we don’t know, such as the thousands who die in natural disasters, alters the way we think. Death is a fact of life, and when understood, it teaches us how to care.

Many years ago in Thailand, my teacher, Ajahn Chah, raised his ceramic mug.

“See this!” he told us. “It has a crack in it.

I looked closely at the mug but could see no crack.

“The crack is invisible now,” Ajahn Chah continued, “but it’s there. One day someone will drop this mug, and the crack will appear and split my mug apart. That is its destiny.

“But if my mug were made out of plastic,” explained my teacher, “then it would have no such destiny and no invisible crack. You could drop it, knock it, or even kick it, and it would not break. You could be heedless because it was unbreakable. But because my mug is fragile, for that reason you must care for it.

“In the same way,” Ajahn Chah began to emphasize, “your body has a crack in it. The crack is invisible right now, but it is there. It is called your future death. One day there will be an accident, a disease, or old age; then the crack will appear and you will die. That is your destiny.

“If your life lasted forever,” Ajahn Chah concluded, “if your life were unbreakable like a plastic mug, then you could be heedless. So it is precisely because our lives are fragile, because it is our destiny to die, that we must care.”

Understanding that relationships are also fragile like a ceramic mug is why we must care for each other. Comprehending that happiness has a crack in it teaches us to never to take joy for granted. Realizing that our lives will one day break apart makes us see that each moment is precious.

The Benefits of Being Blown Up

I travel in planes a lot — so frequently that many of my friends worry for my safety. Planes are a prime target for terrorists, and the more I step on a plane, the more likely a suicide bomber will blow me up.

In order to reassure my friends, I recount the three benefits of dying in an aircraft explosion at thirty thousand feet:

1. Instant cremation . If you have ever had to organize the funeral of a close relation, you will know how much work it is. You have to organize the funeral company, select the coffin, inform all the friends and relatives, take time off work for the ceremony, and, usually, feed your guests afterward. But if your grandma, for example, dies in a bomb explosion in mid flight, everything is taken care of. No need for funeral directors, coffins, or taking time off work. Even the scattering of the ashes is taken care of. This is the first benefit: an instant and worry-free cremation.

2. Cost-effective outcome . Funeral services, as they say, cost an arm and a leg (and the rest of the body for the one in the box). The relatives organizing the rites,understandably, cannot bring themselves to arrange a cut-price, special-offer-for-this-week-only funeral for dear old grandma. But if grandma died in an aircraft terrorist attack, not only would there be no funeral expenses, but the relations would get a substantial insurance payout from the airline company as well. At the end of the day, they would come out ahead from granny’s demise.
3. Fortunate next life . The best benefit is the last. If grandma expires in an aircraft explosion at thirty thousand feet, she passes away so close to heaven that it is fairly easy for her to go the rest of the way.

These are the reasons I’m not at all afraid of flying. It’s another example of overcoming anxiety with positive thinking.

He certainly looks at the ' Bright side of life '

https://e-libra.me/read/590380-don-t...be-grumpy.html

First of all, don't tell me not to worry and I don't need your permission to be grumpy. Second of all Pollyanna, before you think your airplane blowing apart in midair is all tea and crumpets you better read this .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke
Old 06-10-2020, 10:01 PM
Master
Quote:
The whole kicking thing is obviously a metaphor as no way did a spiritual teacher of any merit actually kick a student in the chest for some small transgression
Why talk endlessly about the ending of conceptual thought patterns and yet hang onto one’s own conceptual beliefs like a person who believes in vampires hangs/clings onto garlic.

Teachers have often used unconventional methods to stop the student on their tracks ….

Koans to destroy the continuity of - conventional reality - conceptual thinking:
Quote:
Kicking Over the Water Jug

Hyakujo wished to send a monk to open a new monastery.
He told his pupils that whoever answered a question most ably would be appointed.
Placing a water jug on the ground, he asked:
"Who can say what this is without calling its name?" The chief monk said: "No one can call it a wooden shoe."
Isan, the cooking monk, kicked over the jug with his foot and went out.
Hyakujo smiled and said: "The chief monk loses." And Isan became the master of the new monastery.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
First of all, don't tell me not to worry and I don't need your permission to be grumpy. Second of all Pollyanna, before you think your airplane blowing apart in midair is all tea and crumpets you better read this .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke

Well to look on the bright side of life.... She did survive

I remember reading about this tragedy when it happened and couldn't believe She hadn't been killed, such a sad incident and sometimes you just wonder why...

Don't worry about being grumpy just enjoy it