Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 27-02-2024, 07:26 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
I only make progress when I'm pushing out of the comfort zone but I don't see too many people empathizing with that kind of idea,

We are individuals and progress differently. If it works for you that's all that matters
Old 27-02-2024, 07:55 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
“Their wrong grasp of the Dharma will lead to their long-term harm & suffering.” -The Buddha.

Yes for sure! It's interesting to me. In my experience both are possible. I think they may help not going down the wrong path or they may encourage and cause going down the wrong path. I still remember the night I realized that.
Old 27-02-2024, 08:24 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryoldman
But how (as someone here already pointed out)? How can we be without selves?

Here's a few simple examples that may kind of show how I think of it.

Someone walks up to person A and B and says your shirt looks terrible.

Person A gets mad.
Person B has no reaction at all. Does not care or have any interest in compliments or criticism.

Person A and person B become conscious of a bad memory from their past.

Person A gets angry about how they were treated years ago.
Person B pays no attention to the thought and it quickly is gone without making even a ripple...

Person A and B are driving and someone suddenly changes lanes in front of them not looking and they have to slam on their brakes.

Person A goes into rage and holds their horn on.
Person B slows down without any emotional reaction.

Person A wants to be spiritual and joins a religion and does various practices.
Person B seeks subline peace within and without and so adds no conflict by seeking something other than what is. They are fully present and aware but not as "someone." Others of course see them as someone. But they see themselves as the same as everyone. A conscious awareness that may or may not be projecting an individual self or person.

I think we are always here. So no self goes away or anything. It's a matter of what that self is. I think the question is I am here as what? We are always bombarded with content externally and internally. Then the internal has opinions on the external. The external provides opinions for the internal. It's both feeding both. A running commentary on "ourselves" and other stuff in our heads all day long. We both listen to this commentary identifying with it internally as "ourselves" and we project it outwardly to others and the world.

Can we be completely silent within all of this internal and external noise? Not focus our attention on any idea or belief or thought? Just be without a "person" or "self." Nothing we feel needs to be done or isn't done. I think in this state we are more ourselves, not less. It takes a lot of awareness to not get out attention captured by thought like being pulled into a fast moving river.

As Rumi the mystic said:

I do less and less everyday.
Until I do nothing at all.
Then nothing is left undone.

Bodhidharma-Third practice, Seeking Nothing.

“People of this world are deluded. They’re always longing for something-always, in a word, seeking. But the wise wake up. They choose reason over custom. They fix their minds on the sublime and let their bodies change with the seasons. All phenomena are empty. They contain nothing worth desiring. Calamity forever alternates with Prosperity! To dwell in the three realms is to dwell in a burning house. To have a body is to suffer. Does anyone with a body know complete peace? Those who understand this detach themselves from all that exists and stop imagining or seeking anything. The sutras say, “To seek is to suffer. To seek nothing is bliss.” When you seek nothing, you’re on the Path.”
Old 27-02-2024, 12:11 PM
Seeker
"Progress" is a terrible trap! As I have progressed I realise this more and more.

Once known the lesson is everywhere. I'm dipping into Finnegans Wake at the moment, a novel without linear development - you know its not there but I keep looking for it, even wanting it. Samuel Beckett said that Finnegans Wake is not about anything but is the thing itself.

Just as there is nothing to do yet we cannot do nothing.

The Gracehoper was always jigging ajog, hoppy on akkant of his joyicity.

(Line from Finnegans Wake)

Will ye, ay or nay?

(Another line.....)

Sorry, just rambling as I drink a chocolate milkshake in McDonalds.
Old 27-02-2024, 04:04 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogensoto
Just as there is nothing to do yet we cannot do nothing.
Sorry, just rambling as I drink a chocolate milkshake in McDonalds.

I've read several places it can't be put into words. All people do is make hints and kind of point. I think it's 100% an experience in the now. An experience not dependent on words or thinking.

(Words and thinking is how humans usually define reality. Both are optional parts of the now. Reality is present and can be experienced with no words or thinking present.)

I think every now or moment we are in can be experienced differently and we can "be" different. Sitting drinking a milkshake in McDonalds one can be dancing in the mystery of being and of all and everything. Internally and externally dancing in the mystery of being and in wonder and free of all conflict within and without. Without one thought or belief or idea influencing the dream of being. Descending the rabbit hole of endless wonder of everything one is seeing and tasting, smelling, hearing. Sitting in a chair on a ball hurling around the sun in an endless universe. Hand's automatically lifting the cup and straw to your mouth with consciousness awake and aware. The breath slowly drawing the shake into the mouth.

“Before enlightenment; chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment; chop wood, carry water.” — Zen Kōan
Old 27-02-2024, 10:03 PM
Master
“Before enlightenment; chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment; chop wood, carry water.”

But after enlightenment finding joy in everyday chores, imo......
Old 28-02-2024, 01:02 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Grasping the Dharma wrongly is like grabbing a snake by the wrong end. “Their wrong grasp of the Dharma will lead to their long-term harm & suffering.” -The Buddha.

like you say to each his own... personally i want nothing to do with even trying to grasp something like Dharma.

I just want my life back
Old 28-02-2024, 01:13 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
Sitting drinking a milkshake in McDonalds one can be dancing in the mystery of being and of all and everything.

fwiw I think because I want to find something, anything other than the ordinary, I miss out on a lot of beauty. In recent years I've been trying to avoid glamourous names for things, or seeking glamourous thoughts/feelings for things, and just kinda playing in whatever dirt happens to be in front of me.

Not really helpful in winning friends or influencing people I guess lol!

but anyway yeah i can totally see sitting drinking a milkshake in mcdonalds as being interesting, just I wouldn't want to label it the way you did lol!
Old 28-02-2024, 04:44 AM
Newbie ;)

To Maisy, #23
Very clear examples!
As for person B, when he "pays no attention to the thought", who is there to do that?
Vasubandhu wrote something about this (the twofold grasping) in his Trimsika. In short, (my paraphrasing) "Whatever you try to stop before you, there's still a grasper there. But when the grasper doesn't try to stop anything before him (even he saw it) there's no grasping. When there's no grasping, there's no grasper as well."
Question remains, what's the difference between an "experienced" driver and a reckless one? See from the outside, they both don't seem to care much about their driving.
Old 28-02-2024, 07:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves

I just want my life back

Where has it gone