Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Experiencer
Location: Adelaide, Australia - but born and bred in Ireland:)
Pain relief

My husband has a fractured finger - the ring finger on his right hand. He had a run in with a hammer action drill, which dislocated and shattered the middle joint on that finger. He now has a metal pin through the joint holding it all together.

He has been given pain killers (codeine) and has been told he can also take ibuprofen, but the codeine makes him drowsy so he only takes it at night and the ibuprofen only just takes the edge off the pain. The pain doesn't seem to be improving either.

I have read that taking pain killers can slow down the healing process, too, so I am wondering if there is a natural alternative. Or ideally, something that can be taken alongside his prescription meds.

I can't use any poultices because his hand is bandaged and must remain so, due to the external pin.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:13 PM
jjj

White Willow Bark but it is basically the same thing as Asprin. I think that most of the things that I am aware of would either be too mild or would make him drowsy.

Poor guy :( Hypnosis would help a lot if you have access. Let me quickly see if there are any free scripts. Well, this came up: http://feel-great-now.org/Free-hypno...ain-relief.htm

It's somewhat similar to what I use. I would start with a few deep breaths, then close the eyes and imagine going down 10 levels of stairs or elevator. With each level, more and more relaxed and when at level 1, all the way to the bottom of relaxation. Then the script mentioned could be used. The more it is practice, the more effective and fast it becomes.

Hoping that he heals soon~
Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Experiencer
Thanks jjj

I will suggest the hypnosis -don't know if he would be willing to try that, but I will suggest it!

I love your signature by the way!!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Racer X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrais
My husband has a fractured finger - the ring finger on his right hand. He had a run in with a hammer action drill, which dislocated and shattered the middle joint on that finger. He now has a metal pin through the joint holding it all together.

Keep in mind the finger may need to be removed. Better to loose a finger then the entire hand.

He has been given pain killers (codeine) and has been told he can also take ibuprofen, but the codeine makes him drowsy so he only takes it at night and the ibuprofen only just takes the edge off the pain. The pain doesn't seem to be improving either.

These are ok for very short term durations but will become increasingly problematic if continued past 10 days....

I have read that taking pain killers can slow down the healing process, too, so I am wondering if there is a natural alternative. Or ideally, something that can be taken alongside his prescription meds.

Joints need extreme nutritional support to heal and perhaps a miracle~! Every single item consumed should be done mindfully: "Does this support the health of the body?"

Astragulus extract and Ginseng are strengthening herbs~
White Willow Bark extract and Feverfew Extract are pain relieving without the side effects of Nsaids.

Ginkgo Biloba and Niacinamide open blood vessels which help disperse inflammation which leads to greater pain.

Chamomile extract, Valerian Root, Lemon Balm, and Ginger root will sooth the nerves and slow the pain receptors firing.

I can't use any poultices because his hand is bandaged and must remain so, due to the external pin.

You can use poultices under the bandage~

Castor Oil will give the greatest amount of healing if applied as part of a liquid bandage. Soak a thin white cotton gauze in Castor oil and apply directly to the joint, then wrap the finger with dry bandages. This will also sooth the nerves and decrease the pain so that the prescriptions can be discarded.

If you have access to Comfrey, it must be fresh, You can soak the leaves in Castor Oil and wrap the joint in the leaf and then the bandage. Comfrey speeds cell division and will speed the healing process.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:51 PM
moke64916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrais

We all have the ability to try to ignore pain by focusing on other activities. You can ignore it by doing something completely different. The more you focus on the pain, the more intense the pain becomes. The codeine might make him drowsy. I do not think it would slow down the healing process. Maybe if he asked his doctor for hydrocodone instead of codeine it would not make him as drowsy. I know that codeine makes you more drowsy than hydrocodone. I've had several surgeries. Pain medication does not slow down the healing process. What does slow down the healing process is constricted blood vessels such as smoking. Nicotine will slow down the healing process. I do not think any natural remedy would really help pain when you have a metal rod in your bone. But there is a natural substitute of the Malaysian coffe leaf called "KRATOM" It works on the opioid receptors in the brain just like the pain medication. THe difference is it will make you energetic instead of tired, yet help your pain as well. You can buy it on the internet, or at a smoke shop. You ingest Kratom in tea. It is pretty pricy, but it will help his pain. Plus it also has anti-viral and anti-bacterial agents in it as well. It can be healthy as well as pain relief.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Time

Jagermiester?? lol
Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
Jagermiester?? lol

Thanks guys I will try some of those. So far he's taking Calcium and boron, vit C & D.
I have ordered some valerian root. I have comfrey in the garden, but it's pretty much dead for the winter now, I think. We can't remove his bandages, under doctors orders, until we go back to the surgery next week, so no poultices till then.

Quote:
Keep in mind the finger may need to be removed. Better to loose a finger then the entire hand.
I hope not!!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:07 AM
jjj

http://www.foodandlife.com/healingbonesresearch.htm

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003...-hypnosis.html ( I just love this.)

"All these functional uses may help a person feel better," Ginandes continues. "I am also interested in using hypnosis to help people get better physically. That means using the mind to make structural changes in the body, to accelerate healing at the tissue level."
Old 05-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj

This is really interesting, thanks!