Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 27-03-2011, 07:51 PM
The Lost Seafarer

Natural Remedies for Muscle and Joint Pain

For years I have suffered on and off with achy, crampy muscles.
However lately, perhaps as I've become more active, the pain has increased and I get terribly stiff and painful joints quite easily. Walking up a slight slope for a few seconds is enough to cause discomfort.
I also carry a lot of physical tension which seems to manifest itself in my physicality, particularly my shoulders, and is painful to the touch.

What I was curious about is whether anyone can recommend any natural medicines or other remedies which would at least ease my symptoms.
I have started attending shiatsu, which is helping my tension a great deal, but my joints are still a problem.
As I'm trying to cut out prescription medicines, it would be wonderful if anyone could recommend something natural
Old 27-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Master
Glucosimine maybe?
Old 27-03-2011, 08:04 PM
The Lost Seafarer

I think I've heard of that before, I'll take a look online.
I tried a large pharmacy chain where I stay and although they had a relatively decent sized natural remedies section, they seemed to have nothing for joint pain! I would have thought that would have been quite popular. Alas
But many thanks for your speedy reply.
Old 27-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Master
yes it is very popular and has been around for a while. It helps with joint pain and I have heard of amazing results when used on large dogs that have hip problems. My grandmother use to take it as well and they helped her.
I think it is natural..................not entirely sure what exactly it is though.
Good luck..........james
Old 27-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Master
I found this: and notice that I spelled it wrong in my 1st post....oops!

What is Glucosamine?

Other names: glucosamine sulfate, glucosamine sulphate, glucosamine hydrochloride, N-acetyl glucosamine, chitosamine
Glucosamine is a compound found naturally in the body, made from glucose and the amino acid glutamine. Glucosamine is needed to produce glycosaminoglycan, a molecule used in the formation and repair of cartilage and other body tissues. Production of glucosamine slows with age.
Glucosamine is available as a nutritional supplement in health food stores and many drug stores. Glucosamine supplements are manufactured in a laboratory from chitin, a substance found in the shells of shrimp, crab, lobster, and other sea creatures. In additional to nutritional supplements, glucosamine is also used in sports drinks and in cosmetics.
Glucosamine is often combined with chondroitin sulfate, a molecule naturally present in cartilage. Chondroitin gives cartilage elasticity and is believed to prevent the destruction of cartilage by enzymes. Glucosamine is sometimes combined with methylsulfonylmethane, or MSM, in nutritional supplements.
Old 28-03-2011, 03:35 AM
DebbyM

You could also try adding turmeric and cinnamon to your diet. Natural anti-flammatories both and I've seen where turmeric is suggested for asthma because that is also the cause of inflammation in the airways.

I take it every day, just a bit of the stuff that you get in the spice section of the supermarket, in a glass of water. No side effects and supposed to good for your heart too.
Old 28-03-2011, 03:56 AM
Summerland

The glucosamine sounds like a good choice. But until it kicks in you could try massaging the inflamed re with peanut oil and wrapping a cloth or ace bandage over the oil. It is an old Edgar Cayce remedy.
Old 28-03-2011, 04:16 AM
nightowl

Old folk remedy gin soaked raisins. If nothing else the gin should help ease the pain.

http://arthritis.about.com/od/altern...raisinsgin.htm

nightowl
Old 28-03-2011, 04:53 AM
clovelly

Glucosamine & tai-chi or gentle yoga.
The body needs to be active to release the tension in the joints & muscles. Tai-chi is a good way to start because it gets you in tune with how to shift & release the energy/tension.
Old 28-03-2011, 09:03 AM
The Lost Seafarer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM
You could also try adding turmeric and cinnamon to your diet. Natural anti-flammatories both and I've seen where turmeric is suggested for asthma because that is also the cause of inflammation in the airways.

I have a little turmeric in my diet but since I eat a lot of spiced foods, I could certainly add more. Cinnamon sounds like a good idea also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovelly
Glucosamine & tai-chi or gentle yoga.
The body needs to be active to release the tension in the joints & muscles. Tai-chi is a good way to start because it gets you in tune with how to shift & release the energy/tension.

Yoga is something I have considered, definitely sounds like it could be something that helps. Of course, being ridiculously stiff, I'll have to try and ease myself into it. But thanks for the suggestion, I think it could really help.

I'll take a look at a Holland & Barretts and see what they have. They seem to have a lot of different Glucosamine products to choose from!
Will be sure to let you know how they work out