Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Ayurveda

Old 09-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Prasant K

Oil pulling is definitely good for oral health. It helps break down the germs and toxins in your mouth, which in turn means they don't spread in your blood to the rest of your body. This reduces the toxic burden on your immune system and can result in better health overall. Sunflower oil and sesame oil are good for oil pulling. Coconut oil is especially good because it has antibacterial and anti viral properties.
Old 29-10-2016, 12:36 PM
Master

I love oil pulling, I've been doing it for two years now on and off...whenever my gums ache, teeth ache ( no serious problems , but sometimes they just ache)
Ill oil pull for a while and it feels so much better.
I particularly find it more helpful for the gums...after a cycle of oil pulling they feel just like I feel in my bodies muscles after a workout....
They seem stronger and feel healthier.....
Old 04-11-2016, 07:36 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osian
Im on day two of oil pulling, can't wait to see if the results, it sounds amazing. Anyone on here uses it?

I have been doing it for probably a year now. I do it at least 4 times a week but sometimes I do it 6 times a week, it just depends on how the week is going. (It doesn't work in my schedule to do it in the mornings so I do it in the evening which the vast majority of the time isn't an issue.)

I can't speak to if my toxin load in my body is less because I am already doing so many things for my health that natural detoxify, but it definitely could be contributing.

I use sesame seed oil. When I first started I used coconut oil but I am a strong Kapha in ayurveda and coconut oil is WRONG for me. My joints started hurting so bad--which I assume was fluid buildup--that it felt like I was developing arthritis, but when I switched to sesame oil the joint pain went away completely.

Where you will notice the most change from a great routine in oil pulling is with your teeth and trips to the dentist. I don't know how the heck it does it but oil pulling actually cleans all the tarter/plaque from your teeth and they are so smooth it feels like you just came back from a cleaning at the dentist!

I recently had a teeth cleaning from a dentist, and because of a crazy intense work schedule it had been two years since my last cleaning, but I got praised up and down from the hygienist at what a good job I was doing with my oral health! That was the easiest and fasted cleaning I have ever had at the dentist, and that in itself is worth doing it for me!
Old 24-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
I've heard coconut oil is good because of its special healing properties. I might try it.

Coconut oil is supposed to be good because it kills candida yeast, which grows in the gums and is fed by all the sugar we eat. It also balances the yeast in your gut if you swallow a tablespoon or two a day (do not swallow the oil used for oil pulling though, it will be full of bacteria)
Old 05-03-2018, 08:00 PM
it works great, ive been doing it for over 1 year now, gum and teeth improved, whiter teeth
Old 23-04-2018, 08:21 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osian
What does it do? Oilpulling heals “head-aches, bronchitis, tooth pain, thrombosis, eczema, ulcers and diseases of stomach, intestines, heart, blood, kidney, liver, lungs and women’s diseases. It heals diseases of nerves, paralysis, and encephalitis. It prevents the growth of malignant tumors, cuts and heals them. Chronic sleeplessness is cured.”The most obvious result of oil pulling is improved dental health. Teeth become whiter, gums pinker and healthier looking, and breath fresher. That alone makes it worthwhile. What is really remarkable is that the health benefits don't stop there. Many health problems, including those which medical science has yet to find cures for, are also improved or completely cured. Oil pulling has the potential to help with just about any illness or chronic condition.

How it works?
Oilpulling is an age old Ayurveda process, it works on the ROOT CAUSE and helps body in its healing process, hence takes significant amount of time in giving you the desired results. The time it takes depends on an individual. Hence don't expect a MAJIC PILL kind of treatment overnight.

This is the information. I was looking for for a long time
Old 24-08-2018, 02:29 AM
Knower

I was researching oil pulling for someone and could not find any empirical data on it.

However, I found one anecdotal story from someone in a forum who said they started oil pulling and their hair went back to their natural color... from grey!

Well, I immediately started using it :-)

I am happy to report that I also lost my grey, to a point. I was about 15% and was about 5% when I finished. Had I kept it up, maybe it would have continued.

In fact, maybe I'll try it again, now that I'm more settled.

Many people use a vegetable type oil because it's cheap. But I also researched the benefits of coconut oil -which had quite a bit of peer-reviewed studies- so I had plenty of it in the house. You definitely get used to the taste. I actually miss it... just the taste.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:44 PM
Knower
This is an old thread, but I just wanna share my praise of oil pulling.

AND a couple criticisms.

First of all, I use coconut oil. Which is technically a vegetable oil, as it comes from a plant, but unlike sesame oil or sunflower oil, is a saturated fat. I haven't tried any unsaturated fats for oil pulling, nor do I really want to; coconut oil is anti-inflammatory and absolutely heavenly smelling. The process of swishing it around my mouth is almost meditative.

I can't speak for any other health benefits, but coconut oil is wonderful for oral health. And poor oral health can indeed cause other systemic issues. Perhaps, by extension, oil pulling can alleviate disease elsewhere in the body. I don't know, I just do it for my teeth and gums, Those who say brushing your teeth is "better" than oil pulling are sadly mistaken. Oil pulling does not replace brushing, and brushing does not replace oil pulling; think of the oil as being more of a mouthwash. But we also require abrasive action from a toothbrush to clean our teeth. This is why other animals chew on sticks and bones, as way of scrubbing their teeth so they can better eat us. :)

My only complaint about oil pulling?

The name.

Oil "pulling" means pulling the oil throughout your mouth by the action of swishing it around. Yet most people don't know this, and when I mention oil pulling for dental health, they think I mean pulling out their teeth. This in incorrect. Why not call it "oil rinsing" or something else less ambiguous? But this is just a semantics issue, minor nitpick that confuses people away from an otherwise good practice.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:44 AM
Ascender

I have used coconut oil for inflamed gums and I find that it works very well; although it shouldn’t replace good brushing and flossing.
Old 17-12-2021, 06:35 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Neil
I have used coconut oil for inflamed gums and I find that it works very well; although it shouldn’t replace good brushing and flossing.

Yes, coconut oil is fat soluble and therefore the theory is it dissolves plaque from teeth as well as being anti microbial. Gwyneth Paltrow apparently oil pulls with coconut oil.
I believe orange and lemon oil is also good for oil pulling (the oil has to be food grade though, not "any" essential oil).