Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 15-04-2021, 10:11 PM
Master

fear of the lord

there a bunch of statements in the bible about fear of the lord. For example the first one that came up in a search is:

Proverbs 1:7 - The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the meaning of the word translated as 'fear'. Does it mean, literally, 'afraid'? Or maybe to hold in high regard? Or something else entirely?

And are there different words translated into the word 'fear'?

Thanks...
Old 16-04-2021, 12:38 AM
Master

You can find a commentary here:
https://biblehub.com/proverbs/1-7.htm
The original word, יִרְאַת (yir'ath) for "fear," is properly the infinitive of יָרֵא, (yare), "to fear or reverence," and as a substantive means "reverence or holy fear"
You can see the "interlinear" version here:
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/proverbs/1-7.htm
The fear
יִרְאַ֣ת (yir·’aṯ)
Noun - feminine singular construct
Strong's 3374: Fear, reverence

of the LORD
יְ֭הוָה (Yah·weh)
Noun - proper - masculine singular
Strong's 3068: LORD -- the proper name of the God of Israel
Commentaries give a positive slant to that "fear", not servile, not abject, but filial, even lovingly.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 16-04-2021, 05:50 AM
Master
Nice rendition inavalan.

I especially like the part where you mentioned Yahweh, which indicates this was a viewpoint of the Yahwists. I would say most on this Forum lean toward the Elohists' viewpoints.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 16-04-2021, 07:17 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
there a bunch of statements in the bible about fear of the lord. For example the first one that came up in a search is:

Proverbs 1:7 - The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
The only thing I fear are my thoughts
Old 16-04-2021, 03:45 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Commentaries give a positive slant to that "fear", not servile, not abject, but filial, even lovingly.
so probably it means something more along the line of 'reverence' in that context.

Just out of curiousity, does the next passage use the same word for 'fear'?

Matthew 10:28 - And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Old 16-04-2021, 07:37 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
so probably it means something more along the line of 'reverence' in that context.

Just out of curiousity, does the next passage use the same word for 'fear'?

Matthew 10:28 - And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matthew was written in Greek, the other one in Hebrew.

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/10-28.htm

phobeisthe
φοβεῖσθε
you should be afraid
V-PMM-2P

phobeisthe: From phobos; to frighten, i.e. to be alarmed; by analogy, to be in awe, i.e. Revere.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 18-04-2021, 11:13 PM
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The only thing I fear are my thoughts

Not surprising, heathen.

Kidding.

How B U buddy?

I got half the vaccine.

Regards
DL
Old 18-04-2021, 11:23 PM
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
You can find a commentary here:
https://biblehub.com/proverbs/1-7.htm
The original word, יִרְאַת (yir'ath) for "fear," is properly the infinitive of יָרֵא, (yare), "to fear or reverence," and as a substantive means "reverence or holy fear"
You can see the "interlinear" version here:
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/proverbs/1-7.htm
The fear
יִרְאַ֣ת (yir·’aṯ)
Noun - feminine singular construct
Strong's 3374: Fear, reverence

of the LORD
יְ֭הוָה (Yah·weh)
Noun - proper - masculine singular
Strong's 3068: LORD -- the proper name of the God of Israel

Very nice.

I begin to disagree with philosophy thinking that definitions should be at the back end of a discussion.

I have not change my mind in a long time. Nice.

I think that the context should be clear to any parent, when fear the Lord was used along with the term Lord.

Only till recently do we not have Lords to fear.

For most of our history, Lords killed without a thought.

They also warned against the Lord believers.

**Whenever a man believes that he has the exact truth from God, there is in that man no spirit of compromise. He has not the modesty born of the imperfections of human nature; he has the arrogance of theological certainty and the tyranny born of ignorant assurance. Believing himself to be the slave of God, he imitates his master, and of all tyrants the worst is a slave in power-Robert Green Ingersoll

As in the better political systems, the head should fear the body and not the reverse the way the fascist god religions want.

Regards
DL
Old 19-04-2021, 01:12 AM
Master
'Fear of the Lord' is a Yahwist expression.
As I have said, it appears many have issues with Yahwist viewpoints. Nothing new.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 19-04-2021, 07:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Seeker
Not surprising, heathen.

Kidding.

How B U buddy?

I got half the vaccine.

Regards
DL

I'm fine SS and hope your behaving yourself