Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 25-02-2024, 05:21 PM
Pathfinder

Is what you do really who you are?

Hi everyone. I guess I just don't think this way but does what you do for a living really make you who you are?
I have no employment but I don't attach my identity to that.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 25-02-2024, 05:50 PM
Master
Hi ReturningMoon. I would say "no, what you do for a living is not who you are." I don't work and for the longest time I felt lost and as though my identity was lacking. This was especially true when people I met asked "What do you do for a living." That got me every time and I started talking about when I was previously working. But asking someone what they do, is just a means to label a person.

When I stopped working, I felt like I had come home to my soul's purpose and that was to be a better mother to my son, write an autobiography, poetry, non-fiction stories, draw, paint, photography, make jewelry and play the piano. All activities that enriched my life immensely and define what I do, more so than who I am. Even so, when people started asking me what I do I began replying that I am a published writer, painter and photographer. Sure, I received some rolling of the eyes, but for the most part people were intrigued and wanted to know more.

I have a sister-in-law that has worked in the corporate world for 40 years. One day she called me a suzy homemaker. I was a bit insulted by the insensitive comment until a later conversation we had years later. She told me she was afraid to stop working because she had no hobbies or interests outside of work and that she envied me.

What sort of things resonate with your soul?
Old 25-02-2024, 06:10 PM
Administrator
Hello

I would say no as often what one takes on in work is simply what is there at the time to be found for income. How many times in the work force do we have to re invent ourself to change the path with the economy or just take a job for the sake of income.

I have changed paths a few times and no job has been "me" in whom I am or what I am. As a naturally born Medium/Psychic one would think as that is what I am I would have taken that path in life as an income. NO, early on I learned that it would mean the "Spot Light" and fame and with that comes a huge lack of personal freedoms, and brings in for many a whole lot of "greed" off others looking for answers in life's path.

I took the route of retail for income, and the spiritual part of me is offered up freely. It is not an easy balancing act though as not all like that other side of me, so I have at times struggled to fit in.

When I went to find a job after my separation from my EX and three kids in tow, I had nothing for a resume in work, as I had been a stay at home Mom. I had lots of volenteer experience the school Parent Council and this Site that I help to run, and a Spiritual Society I helped to run, but all was not "work" so that went on a resume. I had to find a place to be me, to fit in.

I found that place and I am even open to share that part of me with the co workers and managers. Too I am not alone there we have 4 Psychic's there now. Its funny we instantly "know" the other when they start.

My life purpose was to have my 3 kids, my life purpose was to be there for others in abilities I so for a long time never wanted and wished were gone, my life purpose was to meet my Twin Soul Flame here on SF and marry him.

Life is good income is there and that life path is with me. I have that Ying Yang balance in life.

Lynn
Old 25-02-2024, 06:36 PM
Thumbs up

Additional thoughts?
Congratulations!!! That you don't identify with what you do or don't do for a living, RM.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 25-02-2024, 07:18 PM
Newbie ;)

Hi ReturningMoon,

Good question. Though I honestly don't know the answer.
First, let consider someone's writing/saying? Are they what they wrote/said?
For example, how can you tell if my words could really tell you about me or could tell who I really am? Am I just a plagiarism who stole some good words from others and put them into my mouth? Or I've just done that unintentionally/unconsciously, as I honestly cannot recall where I borrowed them from? Or am I just a bad writer, or not good at all at writing? Or I do it intentionally, just to impress you and make me look good in your eyes? Or I do it intentionally with a hidden agenda for playing my game?
For example, I have some friends how are professional writers. Though what they wrote are good, but their personalities, well...
Say, can any good people choose to become butchers? If they do that just to raise their kids and take care of their parents? Besides, if no one do that (for a living), then, how could everyone have meat to eat? On the other hand, how about gurus (spiritual teachers)? As we know/witness that some of them only make money/fame and are not real good persons at all, no matter how good of their teachings.
That said, whatever we do will become our habits, right? If I chose to be a butcher, I would finally feel that killing was nothing, wouldn't I? If I chose to be a salesman, I would finally believe that taking advantage of others is a smart way?
Old 25-02-2024, 08:09 PM
Newbie ;)

For me, my occupation certainly does not at all make me who I am. If anything, it's sort of reversed - my occupation is a reflection of certain parts of who I am.

I'm disabled, and have to plan my steps in life carefully to assure that I'll come out of each step healthy and mentally sound. I have to take parts of my personality and my values into account, to make sure my job suits me and brings me fulfilment, or is at the very least tolerable.

I'm going to become a cosmetology student this spring. Through this, I'll be expressing my creativity, and my contrasting need for structure. I'll be able to exert my desire to make other people feel happy and comfortable in their skin. Eventually, in this field, I'll be able to be flexible with my schedule, to accommodate my disability.

At this point, I can't be certain this'll all work out the way I'm hoping it will, but that too will indicate parts of myself.

So for me, no, my occupation doesn't have any bearing on who I am as a being in this world. It's an activity I have to do in order to make money. I just get some choice in said activity, and will of course choose the activity based on my needs and preferences.
Old 25-02-2024, 11:24 PM
Master
We are not human do’ers rather we are in a state of human being; being rather than doing. No, what we do does not make us what, or who, we are but now having said this, when I retired I went through a crisis because I no longer had a job title.

I worked in the healthcare field for 42-years and it grew on me. I had lofty titles which went to my head, and people thought of me by my job title whether I thought of me by my job title or not. I was a college professor and that is quite an ego trip.

Traditional Japanese students would bow to me and female American students wanted to go on a date with me, or have sex with me, only because I was a “Professor.” They held that job title in very esteem. It was a very powerful thing, or at least the illusion was powerful, and I had to break out of that illusion.

Thank goodness I was able to do that, and also become comfortable being retired and not a part of the work-a-day world. These days I don’t even identify with my physical body. Things that I have done were just part of my earthly journey; passing involvements which I do not want to be attached to. I have since learned that what, or who, I am is beyond thoughts and words.

We pile so many identities on top of that which has no identity, our true self. We have a racial identity, national identity, ethnic identity, political identity, economic identity, religious or spiritual identity, and yes an occupational identity, among many others. It is my opinion that we are truly none of those things which we call ourselves or identify with. Yet, we do use those identities, hopefully only as a reference.
Old 26-02-2024, 06:14 AM
Experiencer
you are who you believe you are
and others all believe you are something different
if you believe the job makeith the person good for you
and if you don't believe the job makeith the person good for you

have fun with all you believe you are and discover new beliefs for you
Old 26-02-2024, 05:03 PM
Guide

Is what you do really who you are?

No.Some folk do things out of necessity.
Old 27-02-2024, 10:20 AM
Master
I do think it makes you who you are, not necessarily who you really are deep down though.
But when working you generally spend more time at work than at home so of course it will have an effect on you.
Whether or not this effect is to your advantage depends on whether or not the work suits you.

And when the work environment is good it has the benefit of having more social contacts since you have colleagues. We aren't meant to be hermits. Living alone, or with little social contact due to not working, isn't healthy for us.

I don't work myself, haven't for a long time due to a neck injury. In a way that suits me fine as I don't have to be someone I'm not, don't have to do things that don't suit the real me either.
But... I do miss out on having colleagues, having a bit of fun, the sense of belonging.

Another thing that's important for humans is getting recognition which you get when you work. And a sense of fulfilment and joy. Payment is part of that.
Salary is a form of recognition and is certainly a good feeling each month.

So I'd say, yes, for a big part it defines who you are.

To see how that works, imagine not working...
I only have a benefit. I can't go on holidays, a day trip, a weekend trip, go out for dinner, a shopping spree when I feel like it etc. etc.
It even affects dating life.
I have the time, but lack the means to live and express myself the way that suits the real me...
This limits me, the real me, being able to live life the way I would love.
If I'd had a job that'd be different.