Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 11-10-2018, 03:22 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
a few weeks ago I hit deer and it ran off into the woods. I am sure it died somewhere. It's sad it had to die a slow death.

I once saw a car hit a deer going 65 miles per hour. The deer literally somersaulted over the top of the car and went running onto a path away from the road. It broke the car's side mirror and probably dented the roof but he car never stopped. I still wonder if that deer made it or if it had some internal damage and died.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Master

Hi Lucky. Good thread for those of us who hunt.

Hubby harvested two antelope last weekend. We utilize just about everything. Even all scraps are ground and baked and I freeze it for dog food. Dogs are in heaven right now.

And we have nice, fresh, clean antelope to enjoy. Hubby will also be hunting deer. We have White Tail and Mulies (Mule Deer) here in Colorado. And we have elk. But I asked that he not try to hard for an elk because it is to much meat for us. Which wouldn't be a problem because there are always homes that would eagerly take it.

Hubby also hunts bear, big horn sheep and once got a tag for moose. But the moose tag was a once in a lifetime event. He'll be to old before he is eligible again, lol. And he didn't get a tag for bear or sheep this year. I'd be happy with a deer later this year. He has a private license which means private land. The season is open for private late until January.

Happy hunting everyone.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:36 PM
Master
I've been moose hunting exactly once....got a youngish bull....Damn they are big!!!!
I will tell you that when you drop the hammer on a big moose...whatever fun you might have been having is over.....and the work starts!

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 11-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Master

Yep. A lot of work which I did not participate in since hubby's son and son in law were contributing (they helped scout, advise and cut up and share). We were told it's hard to follow natural tissue lines when cutting one up because the muscles go every which way. I didn't care for moose. But I fixed it for him until his share of it was used up.

They just introduced moose back into Colorado in the late 70's. So there aren't many around. My hubby's was a youngish moose as well. He was told there was giant one roaming the area but he didn't want to take a chance of not harvesting a moose so he got the younger one.
Old 13-10-2018, 07:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
Hello everyone….Here in my state of Texas we are now less than 30 days out from the opening of whitetail deer season and I’m wondering if anyone else here follows the spiritual path of the hunter….and if so how they prepare for it.

Myself and my 11 year old grandson Nick who is best buddy and partner a-field since he was three years old are now well into preparations….

For Nick this started sooner than I but he’s young and extremely excited about the coming season……this past summer he was already doing upper body strength work, running and getting into shape ....tuning his bow and shooting on our backyard range every day.

But he is also meditating and going within for the calmness , clarity and focus that will be needed to stalk an animal with some of the best eye’s ,ears and nose in the animal kingdom….

So as the hunt draws near and we celebrate our proud genetic heritage as the “thinking hunter” and solemnly contemplate the part our species plays in the circle of life that we exist in….I’m wondering how others go about this process…..

P.s….Mods….I was unsure where to put this….if this is not the right place feel free to move it!

Lucky 1 - I would like to know the answer to that myself. I live in an area that backs up to the woods. We have white tail deer in our yard every day. I love those critters as much as I love the birds that eat the bird seed and drink from the bird bath. I want to understand deer hunting because I don't. Actually, the only thing I do understand is there is an over population of deer and many end up causing car accidents or starving over winter. I have witnessed this because I see the deer surround the house in the winter searching for any morsel of food or a plant they can eat. It's sad to see how thin they get in the winter.

But even so, I think it's justifiable if someone hunts if they are going to process the meat to eat. But shooting deer just for the sport of it to get a head with horns for a mantle, that I don't understand.

I watched the movie "Powder" once about a young man with supernatural powers that had the ability to feel what other's feel. He approached a deer that had been shot and he touched the deer as it lie there in pain, suffering and dying. It was an eye-opening moment for me.
Old 13-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Lepus

Hello

I recall one time when we were heading back to the parking lot from the local park my sister and I noticed someone coming out from their home with a bag of food on her hands. We watched her cross the street and into the trail. We wondered what she was going to do with the bag until we spotted a family of white-tailed deers coming out of the wooded area. The deers quickly went back into the woods as she approached them. She left a pile of corn or nuts on the ground where the deers were standing and headed back home. We stood there watching until the deers came out from the wooded trees and started eating. There were a total of three white-tailed deers: one male and two females. It was a great moment watching these wild animals. I'm sure the woman made a habit of feeding these white-tailed deers.

Speaking of deer season I've read somewhere in the news of wild deers carrying a disease called Bovine Tuberculosis in Michigan. It's contagious and can be spread to humans from what I've read. I'm not sure if any other states have the same issue.

Lepus
Old 14-10-2018, 02:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
Lucky 1 - I would like to know the answer to that myself. I live in an area that backs up to the woods. We have white tail deer in our yard every day. I love those critters as much as I love the birds that eat the bird seed and drink from the bird bath. I want to understand deer hunting because I don't. Actually, the only thing I do understand is there is an over population of deer and many end up causing car accidents or starving over winter. I have witnessed this because I see the deer surround the house in the winter searching for any morsel of food or a plant they can eat. It's sad to see how thin they get in the winter.

But even so, I think it's justifiable if someone hunts if they are going to process the meat to eat. But shooting deer just for the sport of it to get a head with horns for a mantle, that I don't understand.

I watched the movie "Powder" once about a young man with supernatural powers that had the ability to feel what other's feel. He approached a deer that had been shot and he touched the deer as it lie there in pain, suffering and dying. It was an eye-opening moment for me.
personally I do not believe in sport hunting. It's a waste of a life. I am sure an animal does hurt for a short time just as a human would. But when it comes to my time to go I would want it as quickly as possible. In hospitals when people are sick, aged, or whatever. There at times can die a slow death. Luckily we have morphine. Lol. Wild animals don't have that either. A lot of people think wild animals are defenseless. There not! There far from dumb as well. Animals like a moose, elk, wild pigs can easily kill a human. A deer can severely hurt a human. There hearing, and sense of smell witch is a lot better than humans are there best lines of defense because there naturally afraid of humans. We'll until a wild animal see a human as a food source. When a animal starts seeing people as a food source most of animals natural defenses go away and they can become dangerous and or a easy target. I hear all the about animal attacks in wildlife parks. The main cause is people feeding them. Just because your a vegetarian or feed the animals doesn't mean a buffalo or bear would try an attack you if you get in there way or you won't feed them.
Old 14-10-2018, 03:15 AM
Master
This thread really made think about two nature built top notch land predators. The mountain lion, if you see one it's because it let you see it and it's been following and watching you long before you noticed. And the owl, a mostly night time hunter and the only bird that has a completely flight. One time at maybe 2 am I witnessed a owl make a rabbit a meal. Being 2am it was nothing but quiet out. All of a sudden about 10' from where I was standing I Hurd a ear spine chilling squeal along with a thump on the ground. Shortly after I saw the owl fly off with the rabbit. It all happened so fast I didn't know what happened till I saw the owl fly off. I didn't even see the rabbit. The owl got a good meal and my garden lived to see one more day so I could eat some fresh veggies.
Old 15-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
personally I do not believe in sport hunting. It's a waste of a life. .

Hallow.....we are subsistence hunters.....While I see commercial meat production and large scale commercial farming as a necessary evil to feed the shear mass of humanity...its a pretty loathsome thing to witness.

There is also the issue of additives, hormones and chemicals and such used in those industries.

For that reason....myself and the circle I run in don't eat commercially raised animals.....in fact I can't remember the last time we bought any commercial meat at the store.

So we all hunt to fill our freezers...for a number of families......and it is all natural and beyond being organic...its "wild meat"!

I am also lucky enough to live on the Gulf Of Mexico and in a tropical climate....we fish a lot and eat a lot of fish....frankly way more fish than meat.

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 15-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Pathfinder

Isn't hunting with a bow cruel? Can't imagine that's a quick death :(