Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 03-12-2021, 07:27 PM
Master
I don't resonate with him at all. My now ex came across him and liked him. Which made sense as my ex was very mental.
I listened to parts of it with him but to me it felt as if something was missing from what he was saying. Or wrong. As if he has an inkling but misses the clue/point. That kind of thing.
Not for me.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:47 PM
Master
“I'm sharing this story to warn other people who might have some of the same vulnerabilities as me - don't give your mind away to this cruel, self-annihilating philosophy! Please, please think critically about it. It can lead you to some truly horrible places.” https://forum.culteducation.com/read.php?6,134795
Old 04-12-2021, 12:29 AM
Master
“What keeps us separated from this Source according to Tolle? It’s simple: identification with the mind. By this he means incessant mental chatter, confusing our true identity with form or labels and the obsession with the false egoic self. This is nothing other than evil. He states, “If evil has any reality – it is has a relative not an absolute, reality – this is also its definition: complete identification with form – physical forms, thought forms, emotional forms.” This false identification leads to ignorance and beliefs of separation and hence the complex global challenges that we currently face.”

I think he is correct, complete identification with ‘physical forms, thought forms and emotional forms’ is the problem, but his solution, to just stop thinking, is not the right solution. He promotes disconnecting from these forms when they are still unhealthy, which is unhealthy dissociation, the healthy way is to heal the shadow first, and then be guided from within as to when to dis-identify with ‘form’.

Last edited by django : 04-12-2021 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:30 AM
Master

QUOTE Post 10 EXCERPT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Living in the Now simply means that we spend less time in our imagination and more time in the real world as it presents itself in each moment. Which actually saves us a lot of regret and worry.

True, if you have no anxieties and fears.

Living in the Now is a state of bliss. Neither Siddharta nor Jesus could live that way.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:04 PM
Lorelyen

Quote post #10:
"How useful are all our thoughts of the past and the future?

We may spend a lot of time remembering the past, perhaps with nostalgia or regret. And we may spend a lot of time imagining the future, perhaps with anticipation or fear. Because of this, as ET says, we miss out on the present moment (even though all our thoughts about the past and future occur in the present).

Living in the Now is the only sane way to live"

Curious - and to me one of Tolle's failings, something he cannot see. How I read this is you might as well not have had your accumulated life experiences because they count for nothing....in which case you can't base your "now" actions on them.

How could you recognise a face without your past; or buy something without awareness of your financial situation. How, indeed, could you form a friendship without your experience of people from your past. What of a professional or tradesperson, reliant on their education?

As for future, it's planning isn't it? It allows you to budget; to set out your work to meet a deadline. I suppose there are people who can waltz through the world oblivious to what the future might hold but they're the ones who get run over crossing the road...assuming they can call on their past enough to remember what in their future prompted them to cross the road for.

Problem is, humans have evolved and survive on their memories/experiences and prescience/anticipation.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:02 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyacey12
Hi everyone,

What do you make of Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now? Should we really be abandoning our thoughts of the past and future to live in the now?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

I feel Tolle's books are possibly ideal for a certain subset of people who are habituated to ruminating constantly about the past and future. Maybe those with anxieties or OCD like behaviors.

For those with a relatively healthy mindset- aren't we living in the now already? In fact, some of us are so much in the now, that I suppose we lose sight of planning for the next day.

Honestly, some of Tolle's ideas seem heavily borrowed from eastern philosophy- especially Buddhism or Taoism which are perfectly suited to the life of a monk. But, is it suitable for a person who lives in a city and works 9-5? or works two jobs? Or has 2 kids and a mortgage? I'm not so sure.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyacey12
Hi everyone,

What do you make of Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now? Should we really be abandoning our thoughts of the past and future to live in the now?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

The Power of Now contains many great concepts such as living in the moment, which is less anxiety-provoking than worrying about the future or fretting over the past. However, the past and future, in my belief, are equally important. One must plan for the future, such as paying a house off so that parents have the money to send their child to college, for example. Or saving for your future older years. That takes some planning and ignoring the future issues that will arise if one ignores preparation for the future, is not advisable.

Same with the past. I think if we don't look at past mistakes with honest discernment, then how can one learn from those mistakes so they aren't repeated? A lot of people stuff their past into a safe place, perhaps the subconscious part of one's mind, only for issues to resurface in haunting fashion because one never took the time to analyze and repair a broken psyche from possible past trauma.

I enjoyed reading The Power of Now, but it all needs to be kept in proper perspective!
Old 04-12-2021, 05:12 PM
JustASimpleGuy

On the surface level "The Power of Now" is mindfulness. On a deeper level it's choiceless awareness.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:28 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
How could you recognise a face without your past; or buy something without awareness of your financial situation. How, indeed, could you form a friendship without your experience of people from your past. What of a professional or tradesperson, reliant on their education?

As for future, it's planning isn't it? It allows you to budget; to set out your work to meet a deadline. ....
Perhaps you did not read the rest of my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
This does not mean that the lessons of the past are forgotten. We carry these lessons in the present.

And it does not mean that we make no preparation for the future. If we need to buy food for the coming week then that need for food arises in the present and we go shopping in the present.
Living in the Now does not mean that we lose all our memories and everything we have learned. That knowledge is always available to us in the present moment.

Peace
Old 04-12-2021, 11:00 PM
ImthatIm

I heard Tolle talk some on the youtube.(I found his voice soothing)
I liked hearing that he figured out he wasn't his EGO created self and he could find improvement being his Eternal Content, Loving self.
Of course the Eternal Self is present in the Now.
Life on Earth is such that we live in, and walk in a paradox, Eternally Now with past, present and future experiences Eternally stored for learning or correcting non-Loving behaviors.
Though I doubt if I would give the guy 1$, unless he was hungry or had a need of it.
I don't hang out with people that I have to pay for their time or presence.

Of course I am paraphrasing Tolle's words and sharing only opinion.