Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 19-11-2021, 09:56 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
kralaro - if you would like the would 'person' changed to, say, Being or anything else ...lemme know.
Checking the definitions of "person" and "being", "being" is seeming more appropriate but up to you, both ways fine with me.

Maybe i got the word "person" for God from reading Prabhupada's translation of Bhagavad Gita - chapter 8 verse 9 in which it's said God "is always a person". But now i checked out the word to word translation of this verse by Prabhupada and there this line doesn't come up. This line seems to be inserted by Prabhupada. [Link to Prabhupada's translation of BG 8.9]

Oxford dictionary definitions of "being" and "person" applicable on God:
"being": "a real or imaginary living creature or entity, especially an intelligent one."
"person": ["Christian Theology"]: "each of the three modes of being of God, namely the Father, the Son, or the Holy Ghost, who together constitute the Trinity."

As i don't think i know about christian theology, so word "being" for God is more appropriate for me.
Old 19-11-2021, 09:58 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopiandreamchild
There's no better thinkers than logical thinker's, they're calculated, mathematical and precise thinker's, geniuses.
I agree with you.

Also, logical persons are (or are supposed to be) more good, because they listen to their conscience; when a logic comes up in their mind saying that what they are going to do is wrong then they don't suppress it like illogical people, but they face that logic.

Logical persons are more unselfish because thinking only about oneself will be illogical because other humans and animals also have feelings, so logically other beings to feel good and be free of pain is also important.

Logical persons are easier to talk to. Suppose you ask a receptionist in a hospital that where's a particular room and the illogical receptionist replies like "1+a is 3 because sky is green". Okay that's a made up example, i'll give a real example from my life:
I and my father were watching TV, our national anthem started playing, he stood up and i didn't. He said to me that i should be ashamed of myself for not standing. I replied that my standing wouldn't benefit the nation in any way. But he kept stuck to his perspective.

Logical persons are clear-sighted. They are independent thinkers. They've disregard for social rules/customs/morals.
Old 19-11-2021, 09:58 AM
Ascender
It's a delight for me to read replies by devotees of God :)
But sadly no one here has said "I had a direct experience of God and found him completely logical and unselfish".
Old 19-11-2021, 02:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by kralaro
But sadly no one here has said "I had a direct experience of God and found him completely logical and unselfish".
I don't know what God is, but my experience has no logic or self. It doesn't even know that it exists... Not saying that's God, though.
Old 19-11-2021, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Why is that sad? All direct insight has it's perfect timing.
My experience directly with God I have learned to keep to myself.
When we know and understand God Himself*, ie, His Divine Mind and Sacred Heart, it is either
by direct experience with Him, by sheer Grace or
He has placed it into our heart and mind...often called revelation, something other than intellectual understanding...tho
that has it's pluses. :)

*Ref Jeremiah 9, if you think that is impossible as many do.
(Changed title to 'being' after reading your reply...did not cap it, since you did not 'person'.)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 19-11-2021, 04:24 PM
Master
@ thread topic …

God vision, the knowing that God alone is, that He in-dwells each form, the supreme compassion of the touch of His hand, the radiance of bliss exploding within us as His sublime essence, direct seeing as a living brilliant yet soft white spiritual light … open secrets, which even if we share, who can pair? No proof available.

Logical … superfluous question … see all around perfect sacred geometry, the structure of our own self, the sheaths of consciousness … supreme divine intelligence surpassing by far, our limited knowing.

Unselfish … well, God alone is the all, without limitation, love-wisdom-power in fullness, so the point is out of context it seems.

These words come to mind:

Questions cease, when we become the answer
Requiring thereafter, no translator
Old 19-11-2021, 05:42 PM
Lorelyen

Whatever's behind creation of the material universe, right down to subatomic particles is logical. It was put together with everything functionally linked and works together. It was devised without emotion which is a human process that we have yet to understand.

That's more than you can say for the bad-tempered god of the Biblical Old Testament. It's been made out to be illogical by writers who put together the stories in those books. The stories however are cover-ups for more mystical things.
Old 19-11-2021, 07:17 PM
Master

Quote:
Maybe i got the word "person" for God from reading Prabhupada's translation of Bhagavad Gita - chapter 8 verse 9 in which it's said God "is always a person". But now i checked out the word to word translation of this verse by Prabhupada and there this line doesn't come up. This line seems to be inserted by Prabhupada.
Prabhupada was a bhakti yogi, the founder of Krishna Consciousness in the West. He emphasises the personality of the Godhead as embodied by Krishna.

From Prabhupada's translation:

8.8 He who meditates on Me as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, his mind constantly engaged in remembering Me, undeviated from the path, he, O Pārtha, is sure to reach Me.

8.9 One should meditate upon the Supreme Person as the one who knows everything, as He who is the oldest, who is the controller, who is smaller than the smallest, who is the maintainer of everything, who is beyond all material conception, who is inconceivable, and who is always a person. He is luminous like the sun, and He is transcendental, beyond this material nature.

As you say, the line in verse 9 "and who is always a person" was inserted by Prabhupada, and it follows on from verse 8.

When we look at verse 8 we see that the term paramam purusam is used for the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

The more usual meaning of purusa/purusha is Spirit, the Cosmic Being, the Universal Principle. From Wikipedia:

In the Upanishads, the Purusha concept refers to abstract essence of the Self, Spirit and the Universal Principle that is eternal, indestructible, without form and is all pervasive.

Peace

Last edited by iamthat : 19-11-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 25-11-2021, 07:51 AM
Master

Quote:

I would say that the people who have found or experienced God are those who have suffered most usually. This class of people, or this class of realisation I'm quite interested in. The logical thing has alot of Ivory Towerism surrounding it i think. Although i am a lover of science and engineering and hence a lover of creation. But those who have awakened to perfection are those who have lost loved ones, suffered all kinds of tragedies and been crucified. Yes sitting down with a nice clean glass of water and lots of logical knowledge in your head as well as on your book shelves seems excellent and it is but it seems to me to be a be a mere parabola with a glass roof. All in all however who can say they know enough about Mathematics or Logic to speak about this path to God, very few perhaps ? However the path of the broken hearted to God is really assured and perfectly present all of the time. i don't suspect i made much sense but drawn nevertheless to this interesting topic thanks. Joe

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 25-11-2021, 08:27 AM
Master
God is all that is.

This would be the only logical definition in my understanding.