Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 26-10-2021, 02:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Miss Hepburn,

IMO meditation is the premier form of fasting as that it can be done daily and become an important part of the rhythm of life.

It's interesting that you should mention that, Molearner, as that is a very important point.

In Asthanga Yoga (Eight-Limbed Yoga as described in Pantanjali's Yoga Sutras), the 5th limb (preliminary to concentration, meditation, and samadhi) is PRATYAHARA. Pratyahara is abstinence/fasting from the food of the senses and I think that is where you are going with your post. (Correct me if my understanding is not correct). This preliminary practice "can be done daily and become an important part of the rhythm of life", as you duly noted.
Old 26-10-2021, 02:52 PM
Master
Any practice that works is great, be it fasting or any other. The point is, the practice, the discipline, signals that we are the doer, employing mind. Like fixing a morning alarm.

Once our priority shifts as a burning yearning to rekindle our innate divinity within, of what use is any practice? Head melds with heart, aligned with love. We stand erect, metaphorically speaking. The magnetic current hums within 24x7. The external fades. All the doings are done but we don’t do it.

Internalised attention held in animated stillness and quietude becomes our ever present orientation. Our emptiness is vibrant with bliss in fullness.

Yes, we reach for the cappuccino if body wants it. Why not? We live in the body. Pamper it a bit! Indulgence is fine, stagnation is the problem.
Old 26-10-2021, 04:19 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
It's interesting that you should mention that, Molearner, as that is a very important point.

In Asthanga Yoga (Eight-Limbed Yoga as described in Pantanjali's Yoga Sutras), the 5th limb (preliminary to concentration, meditation, and samadhi) is PRATYAHARA. Pratyahara is abstinence/fasting from the food of the senses and I think that is where you are going with your post. (Correct me if my understanding is not correct). This preliminary practice "can be done daily and become an important part of the rhythm of life", as you duly noted.

Still Waters,

Yes, we are in synch……:)
Old 27-10-2021, 12:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Still Waters,

Yes, we are in synch……:)

Old 28-11-2021, 11:47 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyacey12
Why is asceticism necessary to achieve enlightenment?
This is where redefining the ego as the 'bad guy' falls over, because when people do that they don't understand how the ego actually works and consequently they fall victim to their own individual egos. Thinking that you're going to achieve enlightenment by practicing asceticism may not be asceticism, nor might it make you enlightened either.

If you're going to seek enlightenment then ask yourself what perception you have of yourself that creates the lack, because we don't seek what we already have.

The Seeker is always that which is sought, and talking of God is really talking about our perceptions of God.

Last edited by Greenslade : 28-11-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 29-11-2021, 06:11 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyacey12
Why is asceticism necessary to achieve enlightenment?
I see truth in what is said here, awareness. But why chose the model asceticism and simply not chose enlightenment. But there is the dilemma about enlightenment because one can look into the world and see things done we say should not be done and we even say we should practice giving (them) up and become enlightened to other things. As said we do not give up things we already have and that would be materiel things we have to. In denial, one will have to deal with it, letting it go in the next cycle. Why reexperience it. Many don't practice asceticism though we seem to know excess is not the best way, we already have that knowledge, but asceticism doesn't work either.
Old 29-11-2021, 06:24 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemex
I see truth in what is said here, awareness. But why chose the model asceticism and simply not chose enlightenment. But there is the dilemma about enlightenment because one can look into the world and see things done we say should not be done and we even say we should practice giving (them) up and become enlightened to other things. As said we do not give up things we already have and that would be materiel things we have. In denial, one will have to deal with it, letting it go in the next cycle. Why reexperience it. Many don't practice asceticism though we seem to know excess is not the best way, we already have that knowledge, but asceticism doesn't work either.

The Buddha found this for himself. He called his path "The Middle Way."

Always good to see you, lemex.
Old 30-11-2021, 01:07 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedust
The Buddha found this for himself. He called his path "The Middle Way."

even the middle way, can be treated as if it were an extreme.
Old 30-11-2021, 01:10 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
even the middle way, can be treated as if it were an extreme.

Is that the Way, or the employer of the Way?
Old 30-11-2021, 03:17 AM
ImthatIm

I'll give 2 cents and say I thoroughly enjoyed reading post #22 from Unseeking Seeker.

I say experience and explore and learn.
I know nothing of enlightenment but I do seek the Source of Love that is seeking me.