Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Closed Thread

Old 16-10-2019, 02:02 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Morality.
Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour.

Discrimination against LGBS is wrong and Violence is wrong and it's very much part of some Christian beliefs as to being right because it's written in the Bible.
The truth hurts sometimes but I believe Christians need to stand up and shout from the rafters that these Teachings are inhumane and have no place in Christianity.

We have Pope Francis declaring that Gay Men cannot be allowed to enter the Priesthood, then he declares that Homosexuals should not be discriminated against.... One statement contradicts the other.
What is discrimination?

If a person does not qualify, is that discrimination?

The qualifications for "Deacons" and "Bishops" are fairly clear and precise.

For Bishops, if one has several wives, would he still be qualified? Would that be discrimination?

As for priest, where in the Bible does it say Christians have priests? Also, where does it say priests are suppose to be single?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 16-10-2019, 02:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin
You might like this BigJohn, the big gun's of the philosopher Plotinus taking aim at the 3rd century Gnostics, some interesting patterns with today's 'zeitgeist'.

http://trisagionseraph.tripod.com/Texts/Plotinus5.html
NICE ARTICLE.
Thank you.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 16-10-2019, 02:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
I don't want to be disrespectful to the Christianity area- sure General Beliefs,
Strong Opinions with 'Asking Christians' in the subject could have been better - but here we are.
But, gee, the question was sincere - whatdoya say to a teen, as a Christian?

I do really think the bigger question would be--
why did early people think that He called for atrocities?
Whatdoya say to a teen as a Christian?

I would recommend studying the Old Testament.

I started with Genesis 1:1 which I was surprised to find in English, the English word for God in Hebrew is transliterated from the Hebrew is Elohim - not God. How did that happen? When the Septuagint came into existence, The Greek language did not have a word for Elohim. The Greek word for God or a god is θεός. Oooops, the word was mistranslated. When a word is translated in to a language in which they do not have a word for that word, they generally translate the word as a share word. In the first creation account, the word translated into English as God should have been translated as a share word ... in this case Elohim.

Then you look at some of the other accounts in Genesis, etc. and you will come to the realization most people claim these events never happened. What? How can this be rationalized? I suspect those accounts were written very similar as to how the Talmud was written. The Talmud is in my opinion a collection of opinions. Questionable Biblical accounts probably fall in this same category.

Then you look at how many times in the Old Testament the Law was actually implemented and you might be surprised it is hard to find such accounts. I suspect the 'early' books of the Old Testament were written during the Babylon diaspora.

Old 16-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Master

Talking about the Old Testament in a Christian context is totally different than in a Jewish context

In Judaism they wouldn't dream of using the Torah without reference to the oral tradition that sets things in context. Even more than this, ever notice that Jews have these old Rabbi's floating around? When questions come up, a wise old guy's views are sought... and if you're not keen on what one says you can try another!
Just imagine if Christians had a Rabbi equivalent.. but there's no wisdom authority tradition like that
Most church leaders are totally uneducated in Judaism and even less the average Christian

The problem seems to me people who take certain passages absolutely literally. There's 2 kinds of these people. Very extreme fundamentalists and those who want to attack the religion without mercy. Both benefit from a literal reading and neither is wise but they have something very much in common. Pointing this out annoys both of them which i'm glad to do, and i hope both sides take a dislike to me. Then I know i'm doing something right
Old 17-10-2019, 03:05 AM
Experiencer

josephinebiggs-she simply stated the obvious to sky-and believe me-there have been many who have thoroughgly questioned sky on why she continues to post in the christianity forum-myself included-and guess what josephonebiggs-still to this day an answer has not been provided.

who are you to question why someone questions someone who poses questions/threads in a chirstianity forum only to stir the pot.

sky seeks answers from christians in a christianity forum but you see-she does not believe in the Bible being the true inspired word of God.

so if you have noticed many seasoned veterans in this christianity forum refuse to engage and answer her silly questions bc its similar to sliding down the rabbit hole.

so pls try not to attack someone who questions what skies moties are-it is the 64 million dollar question

and guess what josephinebiggs-very shortly-we will receive a post from sky addressing this post and it will make no sense-clear as mud i tell ya
Old 17-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by white pegasus
josephinebiggs-she simply stated the obvious to sky-and believe me-there have been many who have thoroughgly questioned sky on why she continues to post in the christianity forum-myself included-and guess what josephonebiggs-still to this day an answer has not been provided.

who are you to question why someone questions someone who poses questions/threads in a chirstianity forum only to stir the pot.

sky seeks answers from christians in a christianity forum but you see-she does not believe in the Bible being the true inspired word of God.

so if you have noticed many seasoned veterans in this christianity forum refuse to engage and answer her silly questions bc its similar to sliding down the rabbit hole.

so pls try not to attack someone who questions what skies moties are-it is the 64 million dollar question

and guess what josephinebiggs-very shortly-we will receive a post from sky addressing this post and it will make no sense-clear as mud i tell ya

Good afternoon WP, hope your well
Old 17-10-2019, 05:11 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir
The problem with swinging a ball-and-chain is that you have to be attached to it to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Did you make that up yourself...cuz wow!
If I use it I just wanted to be able to give the right person credit.
[/indent]
Yes, Miss Hepburn, that metaphor is my creation.

But it is not only a comment on violence.

I wanted to comment on SF members who profess to being ex or non Christians who claim to have rejected the Bible, Christian Teachings, etc., as being false, inauthentic, hypocritical, iniquitous, duplicitous, nonsensical, etc. - and yet - spend most of their time in the Christian forum in attempted de-bunking, arguing and coercing a similar rejection from others that they themselves haven’t effectively accomplished - otherwise they wouldn‘t be there - as if to convince themselves, to validate their own nascent, incomplete, disingenuous posture.

In other words they are still very much attached to what they claim to find inadequate, as having no utility in their life, but yet occupy most of their thoughts and time (at least here, but probably elsewhere as well) in the thrall of that utter and apparently unconscious existential attachment, trying to convince others - and their eternally disgruntled selves - instead of just moving on and pursuing what presumably replaces or displaces the so-called inauthentic, baseless, and suspect spiritual paradigm and practice, and significantly - always utilizing worst-case examples as justification, and conveniently ignoring best-case examples.

That’s also a ball and chain, but one that is perhaps less swinging and more dragging.

~ J
Old 17-10-2019, 05:32 PM
Master
Quote:

As long as members follow the rules of SF they can post in any section of the forum and aren't required to answer to any other SF member as to why they do.

Quote:
I could say the same about you.

Quote:
Whether that's true or false, I still don't see what that's got to do with it.

Quote:
I've not noticed any season veterans, no. No one's forced to answer questions. Although the question in the OP is about
violence in the bible? If there is violence in the bible then why can't it be discussed? Trying to hide it or avoid it, doesn't make it go away.

Quote:
Attack? I stated that I noticed Inavalan trying to police threads, and what he/she is afraid of.

Quote:
I think it's best to address the person you're speaking about directly, not to try and do it through me.

Bottom line is, this is the Christianity part of the forum, why can't ALL aspects of Christianity be discussed? Same question goes to you. What are you trying to hide, cover up or avoid discussing? Lets have an open book shall we.
Old 17-10-2019, 06:13 PM
ImthatIm

I understand Christianity as a NEW Testament or Contract if you like.

A New contract makes the the Old contract null and void.

Christianity should be under the teachings and words of Christ IMO.

Violence? What does Christ say about it?

"Turn the other cheek"
"Love your enemies"

And how can I explain the killing and violence in the Old testament?

I can NOT. I do NOT understand these things. I also do NOT understand
why the dinosaurs were made to be extinct.
There are many mysteries I do NOT understand.
Nor do I need to.
It is enough just to attempt to follow the WAY of Love.
Old 17-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
I understand Christianity as a NEW Testament or Contract if you like.

A New contract makes the the Old contract null and void.

Christianity should be under the teachings and words of Christ IMO.

Violence? What does Christ say about it?

"Turn the other cheek"
"Love your enemies"

And how can I explain the killing and violence in the Old testament?

I can NOT. I do NOT understand these things. I also do NOT understand
why the dinosaurs were made to be extinct.
There are many mysteries I do NOT understand.
Nor do I need to.
It is enough just to attempt to follow the WAY of Love.
Jesus fulfilled the Law.
We are no longer under the Law but the principles for the most part still apply.

Closed Thread