Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 21-07-2022, 03:05 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTruther
All those 1000s of hours of non dual teachers saying "there is nothing "you" can do" hit home and leaves hopelessness. Which brings sensations of depression.
Might want to give a listen to some of Swami Sarvapriyananda's talks. He'll suggest plenty of things "you" can do. I find him easy to listen to, captivating, compelling and practical. He also has a great sense of humor.

Vedanta Society of New York https://www.youtube.com/c/VedantaNY/videos
Old 21-07-2022, 04:25 PM
Newbie ;)

This is an awesome story and will help many people.

Just letting go is key, and thanks for reminding me on this "practice"

A few weeks ago, I was watching now dual videos on YouTube whilst eating my dinner.
For a few seconds I saw that everything was just happening by itself, then the mind returned "Woah what was that? So frickin cool.
It was impersonal, just like watching a movie of thid body moving and eating.

Thing iis,it just proved to this mind that there isn't anything that can be done for this to happen.

All those 1000s of hours of non dual teachers saying "there is nothing "you" can do" hit home and leaves hopelessness. Which brings sensations of depression.

Time to let go and forever disappear.
Old 21-07-2022, 07:11 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTruther
For a few seconds I saw that everything was just happening by itself, then the mind returned "Woah what was that? So frickin cool.It was impersonal, just like watching a movie of thid body moving and eating.
That is amazing, right?
Old 21-07-2022, 07:17 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
For someone who affirms "being a Christian", your post was quite all-encompassing.

https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/s...1&postcount=25
Thanks Still_Waters. I remember a few years ago, the Holy Spirit showed me Xu Yun in one vision and then Ramana Maharshi in another, but Xu Yun was more prominently placed in the vision (since he has detailed methods). I really appreciate the wisdom that these individuals have that has aided me greatly along my current path.
Old 22-07-2022, 01:03 PM
Master
QUOTE 34 EXCERPT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknaton
I remember a few years ago, the Holy Spirit showed me Xu Yun in one vision and then Ramana Maharshi in another, but Xu Yun was more prominently placed in the vision (since he has detailed methods). I really appreciate the wisdom that these individuals have that has aided me greatly along my current path.
After reading your post, I have decided to check out Xu Yun as I am not familiar with him.

As for Ramana Maharshi, he does have some detailed methodologies which I personally have used --- simple but effective.

For those whose interest might have been sparked by the reference to Xu Yun, here's a link to the wikipedia article on Xu Yun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xuyun

There was an excerpt from the article on Xuyun that really caught my attention since I could relate to it completely.

"Along the way, Xuyun is said to have met a beggar called Wen Chi, who twice saved his life. After talking with the monks at the Five-Peaked Mountain, Xuyun came to believe that the beggar had been an incarnation of Manjushri. "

In my formative years, I had a mysterious 9-year connection with a "homeless" black man in NYC. He revealed himself after 2 years of unexpected spontaneous appearances and he turned out to be one of the most enlightened beings i have ever met. The story about Xuyun's "beggar" friend brought back fond memories of a similar nature.

Last edited by Still_Waters : 22-07-2022 at 02:59 PM.
Old 24-07-2022, 05:25 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
In my formative years, I had a mysterious 9-year connection with a "homeless" black man in NYC. He revealed himself after 2 years of unexpected spontaneous appearances and he turned out to be one of the most enlightened beings i have ever met. The story about Xuyun's "beggar" friend brought back fond memories of a similar nature.
This seems to be beyond coincidental. I believe that everything happens for a reason. And that fact that it was a beggar in both situations shows the need for humility. Without the humility, I am sure you would have chased the beggar. Are you reading 'Empty Cloud?'
Old 25-07-2022, 12:21 PM
Master
Quote:
This seems to be beyond coincidental. I believe that everything happens for a reason. And that fact that it was a beggar in both situations shows the need for humility. Without the humility, I am sure you would have chased the beggar. Are you reading 'Empty Cloud?'
I have not heard of "Empty Cloud" but will check it out.

My "homeless" black beggar friend did not reveal himself to me for about two years as I lacked humility and considered myself superior to him. However, before parting, he would always make a curious statement or ask a strange question that would come up in my meditations.

When he finally revealed himself after two years, I asked him why he had not spoken to me directly as he was finally doing now. His response was humbling and taught me a good lesson: "You weren't even at a level where we could discuss basics". (I was stuck in my intellectualism and concepts at that time. He was absolutely right.)
Old 26-07-2022, 05:39 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
When he finally revealed himself after two years, I asked him why he had not spoken to me directly as he was finally doing now. His response was humbling and taught me a good lesson: "You weren't even at a level where we could discuss basics". (I was stuck in my intellectualism and concepts at that time. He was absolutely right.)
Oh my, that's something. It's great thing you came around though. These experiences really bring meaning to life.
Old 27-07-2022, 11:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Oh my, that's something. It's great thing you came around though. These experiences really bring meaning to life.
I have never forgotten that "homeless" sage. He remains one of my ideals and, in many ways, is similar to the Elijah of Jewish folklore who appears mysteriously from time to time.
Old 15-12-2022, 10:16 PM
Molearner

Quote:
That is exactly it ...letting go and "be still".
Still_Waters,

We are all familiar with the quotation “Be still and know that I am God”……I extrapolate it to possibly mean “Be still that you might be known by God”. I have in mind one of the biblical meanings of ‘know’. Know as to have sexual relations that result in birth…..this is opposed to ‘lay’ which simply seems to just mean sexual relations(sine offspring). Know can be understood as to fructify…..the predecessor to bearing fruit. The being still is openness to God….allowing him to instill one with that something that produces that which is new. Think ‘born again’……

I like The Message translation of Psalm 65:1….”Silence is praise to you, God”. Praise because that in your act of silence you are both acknowledging God and it is one’s invitation to God. As one observer said in one’s silence it is not necessary to say or prove anything. It is truly golden silence……:)