Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 21-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
I had a potted lavendar once. They like sun, heat and moderately wet. You might want to give it a bit of a trimming to encourage it to bloom.

it's definitely getting sun and heat, and I water everything fairly generously every morning. we tried to grow it from seed and it just hasn't sprouted. so nothing to trim lol.

my sunflowers that I planted recently are sprouting though! 7/8 anyway, which ain't bad. still waiting on any sign from the milkweed. I'll be sad if it doesn't sprout. my onions and dill are starting to peek through, nothing so far from the newest additions but it's only been a handful of days.

also, our section of the garden that's actually in the ground has been popping up with little green sprouts EVERYWHERE and I have absolutely no idea what any of it is, I put some sunflowers and milkweed in a few spots but nowhere near the amount of what's growing. I'm so intrigued to find out what it is!

something's also been eating my strawberry leaves and now my rhubarb leaves. I caught a little green caterpillar red handed on the rhubarb this morning and moved him away but I'm pretty sure there's also been slugs nomming on things. I put down some epsom salts and am hoping that will keep them away.
Old 21-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Master

I'd think slugs too rainbow. Slug bait works good too. I looked up Epsom salt and they said it won't make your soil acidic. They said, "Adding Epsom salts does not affect soil pH, but will replace vital magnesium if the plant is deficient."

Huh, I learned something new.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/adding-...dic-80230.html

I checked our pear trees today. They were loaded with pear "starts" or whatever you call them. Most of the "starts" have fallen off. There are still a fair amount of pears but not nearly as much as past years. We are in a severe drought and I think the trees are making sure they will produce only what they have the energy for. These trees are ancient. Old and Wise.
Old 22-05-2018, 06:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow.sprinkles
I acquired some more pots today and I think tomorrow I'll pot up my peas, radishes, beets and basil.

our lavender doesn't seem to be blooming at all and my roommate and I are both quite sad about it.
Hi! I've tried lavender many times indoors, with no luck. They really seem to like the outdoors. I have 2 plants in my garden and there doing very well. The soil is very well draining and I don't give them any special care. I have a garden sage that does very well too. If you're having issues with it flowing in full sun, it could be your soil. Most flowering plants do best in poor soils. If the soil is rich you'll have a nice plant but minimal flowers. Lavender is a Mediterranean plant. The soil there is rocky poor, that's how nature designed them to live. Wherever the plant comes from is the best way to care for it.
Old 23-05-2018, 02:31 AM
Master

Today I repotted my 10 tiny tomato plants into bigger pots. And I ordered some special tomato plant food.

In the meantime I'll fertilize my plants with the natural stuff that comes out of a ducks butt.

I also moved my rhubarb seedlings and the 10 additional tomato seedlings outside in the shade.

Whew! Done!
Old 25-05-2018, 04:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
Hi! I've tried lavender many times indoors, with no luck. They really seem to like the outdoors. I have 2 plants in my garden and there doing very well. The soil is very well draining and I don't give them any special care. I have a garden sage that does very well too. If you're having issues with it flowing in full sun, it could be your soil. Most flowering plants do best in poor soils. If the soil is rich you'll have a nice plant but minimal flowers. Lavender is a Mediterranean plant. The soil there is rocky poor, that's how nature designed them to live. Wherever the plant comes from is the best way to care for it.

all our stuff is outside, including the lavender. it could be something to do with the soil if lavender prefers a rockier environment. I'll definitely do more research on it and try again another time.
Old 25-05-2018, 04:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
I'd think slugs too rainbow. Slug bait works good too. I looked up Epsom salt and they said it won't make your soil acidic. They said, "Adding Epsom salts does not affect soil pH, but will replace vital magnesium if the plant is deficient."

I don't think it was recommended as a way to do anything to the soil, I think it was just to deter slugs from crossing that salt barrier to get to the plant in the first place? same idea as broken eggshells?

now something is eating my other strawberry plant, but instead of the leaves being all jagged from the outsides being munched, entire leaves are just gone like something bit the entire thing off at the stem! I sprayed it down with dish soap water and put more epsom salts around it, hoping that does something.
Old 25-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Master

That's the first time I've heard of egg shells as a deterent for slugs. Did not know they would not cross over them. Learned something new.

Lol, if your strawberry plants were in my yard I'd blame it on my ducks. I'm sure that isn't your problem. Just a funny. Maybe birds or squirrels? I've heard you can deter birds by using strips of something, like rubber that would resemble snakes (or buy some toy snakes). But the key is you have to move them all the time. Otherwise the birds catch on. I've used poles, oh about 2-3 feet tall with strips of (I use) old sheet tied on to the top. When the wind moves it moves the strips of cloth and deters anything looking down. Don't know if it would work for squirrels though.

I've never tried it but I've heard tying old CD's to a string and hanging them allowing them to move in the breeze works too. Just throwing some ideas out there for you rainbow.

The 10 tomatoes I transplanted 3 days ago are doing good. I've heard when you transplant something you need to keep it out of direct sun for a few days because they are photosensitive. I did and today I put them back in the sun for a few hours until it started getting really hot (remember, mine are in pots and being toured around in a wagon). Now they are relaxing under shade trees with partial sun. I have noticed new growth already since I transplanted them. They are happy with their new homes!

Rhubarb seeds I planted are not doing well. They got hit by some direct sun yesterday for maybe 30 minutes total, and I lost 3 of them even though they were under shade trees. I just went on Etsy and bought some 3-6 inch rhubarb plants. I'm done messing with the seeds! I want some rhubarb by next year!
Old 26-05-2018, 12:13 AM
Gracey

I am picking my rhubarb tomorrow. It is fully grown and ready to go. I think I am gonna mix some rhubarb with apples and make a pie. The rest of it, I am gonna make some sauce and freeze it for later use.
Old 26-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Master

That was quick Gracey! The lady emailed me yesterday and said she won't be able to fill my order for 3-4 weeks. So an even slower start. I still have about 6 seeds that I planted (rhubarb I'm talking about ) that looks healthy. So between what I ordered that will arrive in 3-4 weeks and what I have that has sprouted, if it continues to do well, will be enough. I've got a nice spot picked out for all the rhubarb. I'm excited.

Nuttin' like rhubarb sauce over ice cream.
Old 26-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
That's the first time I've heard of egg shells as a deterent for slugs. Did not know they would not cross over them. Learned something new.

Lol, if your strawberry plants were in my yard I'd blame it on my ducks. I'm sure that isn't your problem. Just a funny. Maybe birds or squirrels? I've heard you can deter birds by using strips of something, like rubber that would resemble snakes (or buy some toy snakes). But the key is you have to move them all the time. Otherwise the birds catch on. I've used poles, oh about 2-3 feet tall with strips of (I use) old sheet tied on to the top. When the wind moves it moves the strips of cloth and deters anything looking down. Don't know if it would work for squirrels though.

I've never tried it but I've heard tying old CD's to a string and hanging them allowing them to move in the breeze works too. Just throwing some ideas out there for you rainbow.

The 10 tomatoes I transplanted 3 days ago are doing good. I've heard when you transplant something you need to keep it out of direct sun for a few days because they are photosensitive. I did and today I put them back in the sun for a few hours until it started getting really hot (remember, mine are in pots and being toured around in a wagon). Now they are relaxing under shade trees with partial sun. I have noticed new growth already since I transplanted them. They are happy with their new homes!

Rhubarb seeds I planted are not doing well. They got hit by some direct sun yesterday for maybe 30 minutes total, and I lost 3 of them even though they were under shade trees. I just went on Etsy and bought some 3-6 inch rhubarb plants. I'm done messing with the seeds! I want some rhubarb by next year!

well it makes sense, I imagine the sharp edges would cut up their squishy little bodies if they tried to move over them!

no additional damage on anything this morning. hopefully just keeping that epsom salt barrier in place and using the dish soap water when necessary will do the trick to keep the pests away. I don't really want to have to take extreme measures lol. I did read about some of those ideas online the other day though! interesting stuff.

most everything is growing well. nothing out of my peas yet and I'm not sure my rosemary is ever going to grow, not sure why, my dill and chives are coming in nicely.

sorry you're having trouble with your rhubarb! we have some rhubarb in our garden that was there when we moved in and I have no idea how much longer I should let it grow before picking some. it looks so good!