Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 14-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Experiencer
How do figure out your life's purpose?

Edit Thread Title: How do you figure out your life's purpose?

How do you figure out your life's purpose? Three years ago, I embarked on a journey to fulfill my life's purpose (I actually left graduate school to do this b/c I knew I was on the wrong path) and it seems like things are getting worse and worse and worse. The more wise and knowledgeable I get (spiritually), the worse my outer surroundings become.

I feel like there's an unknown force blocking me from doing everything I attempt to do. I've had soo many jobs within the past yr that end up "letting me go", it's become ridiculous! Everything I try to accomplish seems to fall apart. Am I doing something wrong? This has NEVER happened to me before.

Before I embarked on my soul searching journey/spiritual awakening, everything fell into my lap. Now, I don't have a job, I don't have any $$ (really, I don't even have $1), I've had to move back in with my parents because I can't afford my own apartment, I can't afford to pay any of my bills so my credit is horrible and I've had to turn off my cellphone and internet (<--I'm at the public library :) ), all of my friends have seemd to disappear, and I don't feel the "love" from my parents and siblings anymore. I can tell we don't have a connection anymore and I find that odd. I feel like everything has been taken from me and I don't know why? (Note: I'm grateful for my health, having a roof over my head, the little food I have, etc.)

Do you guys have any words of wisdom? I have absolutely nothing to do everyday so I kind of hate waking up in the morning b/c my day is full of boredom. In the beginning, I started reading but it's been 3yrs and I've probably read over 100 books. I'm sick of reading. I just want to get on with life but it's obvious some foce is against this happening...despite how many times I've told myself that's a ridiculous notion. Now, it's clear that there is something bigger than me that is somewhat holding my captive and taking away everything I've ever wanted. How do I change my situatio?

Fyi--With all of that said, I still have an inner peace...but I want to get on with life. I'm very ambitious and I'm used to accomplishing things; I don't like being stuck at home with nothing to do. And, I've felt like I was "made for greatness"/created to make a difference in the world...could this be my preparation?

Thanks...

Last edited by ArtisticAthlete : 15-12-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 14-12-2010, 08:39 PM
shepherd

Hi

What if you have no life purpose other than the one you discover for yourself?

I am guessing and feel free to object but:

I would say that the force blocking you is simply you and what you are trying to accomplish falls apart due to you not really having enough heart and passion for it.

Your subconscious mind has an idea of which direction you need to go in as its quite brilliant at seeing the bigger picture about what we want to experience and how it can get us there. The problem here is consciously you are not accessing that information. I am guessing here but I get the sense you dont seem to listen very well to your own inner thoughts as its way to busy in your mind. Over analyse much?

You could do with learning to meditate and learning to ask within what you need to do. There is a huge difference in the sound of your conscious voice responding and your subsconscious. You will get to know the difference. This will help to slow down your mind so you can get directions in what you could be exploring and experimenting with to help you find a path for you. Paths change all the time though so get flexible with where you are being guided by your own mind.

Your post is full of conflicts and contradictions which suggests you change your mind a lot when it comes to how you feel about yourself. There needs to be some congruence here and stop being so flakey with your decisions and thought processes. You need to be stronger with your foundations of who you are so you can create a path to follow.

You do have interests in life and they are always a good starting point. My interests are now my career but it took time, effort and focus to get here. I also know that this will change and I will move on again at some point as careers evolve. So having a career that can evolve is vital in creating fresh energy.

Hope that helps.
Old 14-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
Hi

What if you have no life purpose other than the one you discover for yourself?

I am guessing and feel free to object but:

I would say that the force blocking you is simply you and what you are trying to accomplish falls apart due to you not really having enough heart and passion for it.

Your subconscious mind has an idea of which direction you need to go in as its quite brilliant at seeing the bigger picture about what we want to experience and how it can get us there. The problem here is consciously you are not accessing that information. I am guessing here but I get the sense you dont seem to listen very well to your own inner thoughts as its way to busy in your mind. Over analyse much?

You could do with learning to meditate and learning to ask within what you need to do. There is a huge difference in the sound of your conscious voice responding and your subsconscious. You will get to know the difference. This will help to slow down your mind so you can get directions in what you could be exploring and experimenting with to help you find a path for you. Paths change all the time though so get flexible with where you are being guided by your own mind.

Your post is full of conflicts and contradictions which suggests you change your mind a lot when it comes to how you feel about yourself. There needs to be some congruence here and stop being so flakey with your decisions and thought processes. You need to be stronger with your foundations of who you are so you can create a path to follow.

You do have interests in life and they are always a good starting point. My interests are now my career but it took time, effort and focus to get here. I also know that this will change and I will move on again at some point as careers evolve. So having a career that can evolve is vital in creating fresh energy.

Hope that helps.

Lol. You're 100% correct! Yes, I always over analyze and every since I started my "soul searching" journey, I haven't been able to make a definite decision since then. I used to be extremely decisive but now, everytime I think I want to do something, I find a reason as to why I don't want to do it and I'm off to try to "logically" find something else to do.

You're also correct when you say I don't listen to my inner thoughts--I don't listen to my inner thoughts b/c my inner thoughts aren't interested in my surrounding options. For example, I've hated ever job I've ever had but I feel like I have to work because I have to put food on the table? But every job offer I get, subconsciously, I don't want it because it's not something I really want to do.

The only thing I've ever loved to do was play soccer. The only job I can see myself enjoying is being a pro soccer player and during the off-season I can train, run camps and be a FCA mentor/counselor for high school athletes. Thing is, I've tried to move to a city that has a semi-pro soccer team but I can't seem to get there. I know once I'm on a semi-pro soccer team, I can get recruited to the pro level but I can't seem to get to a city with a semi-pro soccer team. I've tried over and over and over again to get jobs in the city I want to move to (I feel like that's the city I'm supposed to be in) but no one will hire me. Semi-pro soccer doesn't pay so I have to have a "day job" so to speak.

If I'm not playing soccer, there isn't anything else I want to do. No, I do not want to coach, be a soccer sports marketer, etc. I don't want to do anything else besides play soccer. Play, play, play. :)

Also, you're right--perhaps I need to meditate because I can't figure out how to turn my passion into a career.
Old 14-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Master
the nodes in astrology chart can show it, i would just do what your passionate about
Old 14-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Sangress

As far as I know, you create your own life purpose.

If people were alive to do something specific or be someone specific they'd probably drop dead as soon as they reached their goal, and as far as I know that has never happened before.

People change and grow throughout life, most times people need no other purpose than to live and breathe, other times they look for something to base the framework of their life around.

You seem to be getting impatient of the whole simply living and breathing thing, tired of the past and creeping toward finding something new to revive you.

Looks like your on your way to a fresh start, rather than a frustrating end.

As for words of wisdom...heh. I have a few.

Do what feels right to you, go at your own pace because life is not a race to the finish, acceptance is the best medicine when faced with misfortune, life changes quickly so be sure to remember that hard times are not permanent and always trust your intuition.

There is no wrong or right way to go about anything you do, no true mistakes, only experiences and the knowledge you gain from them.

I've said my two cents. Good Luck.
Old 14-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Neville

Quote:
As far as I know, you create your own life purpose.

That sounds about right to me too.
Old 15-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisticAthlete
Yes, I always over analyze and every since I started my "soul searching" journey, I haven't been able to make a definite decision since then. I used to be extremely decisive but now, everytime I think I want to do something, I find a reason as to why I don't want to do it and I'm off to try to "logically" find something else to do.
I can relate.
I think the spiritual journey is like discovering ourselves...
Giving ourselves permission to think, feel & try new things...
& sometimes there's just too much to choose from! lol
Quote:
But every job offer I get, subconsciously, I don't want it because it's not something I really want to do.
As Shepherd mentioned, if you have enough passion, you'll do whatever's needed.
Once, when I was a teen, I wanted to buy something nice for my boyfriend who I was in infatuation with... so I shoveled manure. Did I enjoy it? NO!! But it was the means to an end. Besides that temporary job, I've had a couple other jobs that were tough to endure... but I learned from them, if nothing else, what I don't want to do & motivation to find a way to do what I do want to do.
Quote:
The only thing I've ever loved to do was play soccer.
Expand your horizon! Even just a little... There's indoor soccer, futsal, volunteering on the side - any way to get your foot in the door or for resume experience.
What else are you interested in, besides soccer?
Do you prefer jobs that deal mostly with people, computers/mechanical, ideas, outdoors/physcical?
Favorite school subject? What type of books do you enjoy?
Quote:
Also, you're right--perhaps I need to meditate because I can't figure out how to turn my passion into a career.
Meditation will help, but only partly.
Each day, do something toward your goals (have a back up plan). Break it down into specific steps...
Over the next Decade... Yearly, Monthly, Weekly & Daily.
I hope the best for you!
Old 15-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Gauss

I was down and out with terrible pains for 27 months, I know what you are speaking about. Anyway, there is a solution, it is inside of you, not outside.

Please read the book Zhuan Falun, it will help you alot to understand lifeĀ“s meaning etc and also restore a dignified life, it is a guarantee:

http://www.falundafa.org/eng/books.html

Truth-Compassion-Forbearance in daily life means everything.

Your truth today is just a reflection of your current wisdom.

Tomorrow your truth is higher if you cultivate yourself well today.
Old 15-12-2010, 05:27 PM
I-Ching

We all have a Divine purpose and in order to know that purpose we have to connect with a Teacher that can help us. We can try to concoct our own idea of what our purpose is but we are likely to get it wrong. Until we live in harmony with Divine Will we will always encounter suffering. As soon as we stray from Divine Will we get karmic reactions. The method I recommend to connect with you Guide is to using the I-Ching. If we accept guidance from our own minds we will simply be cheated.
Old 15-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Experiencer
Thanks! You guys have been really helpful. I now know for sure that my purpose comes from within and not on the outside. And, my passions and interests are the key to what I'm destined to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspective
What else are you interested in, besides soccer?
Do you prefer jobs that deal mostly with people, computers/mechanical, ideas, outdoors/physical?
Favorite school subject? What type of books do you enjoy?

Hmmm. Well, after I posted this response saying I only like soccer, I began to think, "ArtisticAthlete, there are many more things you love to do than just soccer." So, besides soccer, I love any and everything that has to do with the beach/ocean and marine life, animals, and artistic stuff like abstract art and glass blowing. I'm obsessed with eye makeup and shaping eyebrows; I think it would be cool to be a makeup artist...especially for cirque du soleil.

My favorite subject is math. I've always found math really easy and I can see myself being a High School Math Teacher or a Math Professor at a University. Based on my personality, being a math professor would probably suit me better because I'm kind of a straight forward, no nonsense kind of person when it comes to school/learning. When I used to substitute teach, I found myself very annoyed/having little patience for students who didn't want to learn. But, let's be honest--there are very few high school students who are excited about math. :) I also like computers and technology but moreso typing/keyboarding and Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint. I like typing and creating various documents...and teaching people how to do so.

I would say I prefer jobs that don't deal with a lot of people. I like being around people when I'm working (i.e. co-workers/students), but I don't like working, directly, one-on-one with a lot of people (i.e. healthcare (<--which is what I went to grad school for. Oooppss. Ya live 'n learn!), customer service, etc). I dunno, it's hard to explain--I just like to go to work, do what I need to do (and help people if they need help i.e. students who need help with math), then go home and have fun with friends and family.

I also like counseling people/giving people advice about life. Too bad I can't internalize those skills and use them on my own life. But, that's a classic problem with counselors/psychologist--they can fix everybody elses life but they can't fix their own. Ha!

So, it looks like I like a lot more than soccer...I just haven't been able to figure out how to put any of this to good use. I've applied to a variety of jobs that entail all of the interests I've described (Ex: Working for Mac Cosmetics, teaching math, being a math tutor, being a guidance counselor, etc.) but no one is hiring and if they are, they won't accept me because I don't have the "background". For example, I have a college degree and graduate school experience, but a school will not hire me be a math teacher because I don't have a "teaching credential". Um, I've aced every math class since 1st grade to graduate school math related classes like optics, physics, etc. I think I can teach a 9th grader Algebra I. What happened to people realizing people naturally gifted at things? I don't need a specific degree to do what I listed b/c I already know I'm good at it. (With the exception of being a makeup artist; I'd need training for that.) Just my $0.02...

Edit: Ref Healthcare--I guess I should say I don't like conventional medicine. If I had my own practice on the beach w/ soothing mediation music in the background, I wouldn't mind working in health care :-)

Last edited by ArtisticAthlete : 16-12-2010 at 12:01 AM.