Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 19-06-2022, 11:54 AM
Knower
Why would someone become a Christian? Jesus' answer from the Bible

Hi,

Last Wednesday I posted this question on reddit: "If you met a non Christian in the elevator and they asked you: 'Why would I become a Christian?', what would say?"

A number of redditors gave answers that would never convince anyone to even think about it, a few gave interesting answers but which only someone who already believes in God would hear, many members of the sub didn't even bother to reply, which I would say they would have if they had been able to give a simple and short answer, and only three persons answered: "To have Eternal Peace". This is probably the best of the answers which were given since it is an answer Jesus does give in the Gospels but, again, it would only inspire someone who already believes, even if only in the possibility of Eternal life.

Now, no one gave the other answer Jesus gives in the Bible, an answer which not only is Jesus' very answer but also which would be the best to inspire even an atheist – I'm not saying all atheists would be inspired but a number of them would at least admit the possibility.

Here is Jesus' answer – which only takes seven words and can be given in a one floor elevator ride: to be at peace here and now.

Does that sound a little too much like Buddhism or New Age to you? Well I rephrased Jesus' answer a little bit, first of all because an elevator ride is pretty swift, second of all because I admit I wouldn't be able to quote Jesus' answer correctly by heart with the verses numbers but it is however what Jesus does say in the Bible. See for yourself:

"Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete." (Luke 6:46-49)

Before the promise of Eternal Life and Eternal Peace, the goal of Jesus' teachings – e.g. Christianity as Jesus meant it – is to be at peace despite life circumstances which can be tough. Jesus says the very same thing in a slightly different way in the Gospel of Matthew:

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." (Matthew 7:24-27)

You see how the "here and now" part of the answer is important: it's not about being at peace after we die, it's not about being at peace later, when this disease is healed, when we have found a job, when someone we love is out of trouble; it is about being at peace here and now however difficult our life can be. This is the second reason why Jesus willingly went to crucifixion, a reason that doesn't seem to ever be dealt with: to show us that being loved by the Father doesn't mean we will be pampered in a worldly way. So many Christians think "I shall not want" (Psalm 23:1) means God loves us so much that They will give us everything we want. If it were so, Jesus wouldn't have been crucified, not even to give himself for our sins. If it were so, more over, all those saints wouldn't have been martyred. "I shall not want" really means we should be satisfied with what we have. It doesn't mean we shouldn't try to improve our life circumstances or we shouldn't pray God to make our life circumstances better but it does mean that our peace and happiness should not depend on our life circumstances. I have seen so many Christians say "I lost faith when... (fill in the blank)". If those Christians had been taught Jesus offers to make us peaceful whatever happens, some of them wouldn't have lost faith and they would have kept putting Jesus' teachings into practice.

Before asking you guys my question, I looked up both "Why would I become a Christian?" and also "What is the goal of Christianity" and I couldn't find a single webpage giving Jesus' answer to those simple questions, not even on Quora where any Christian, not just Christian preachers, can answer.

This page starts with those words: "Many who call themselves Christians have no idea of what God has planned for their future. They do not realize that the Bible explains how Christians today are preparing for a joyous future, filled with meaningful activity, in the Kingdom of God!". This means this website claiming to know better than others does tell about peace but only in the future. They do not seem to have any idea Jesus is offering us peace here and now.

I'm not saying absolutely no Christian knows about Jesus' invitation to find peace here and now but it is obvious most Christians do not have any clue despite so many Christian websites giving teachings and / or Bible explanations or commentaries.

This shows how untrue to Jesus Christian preachers and institutions can be. This is very disturbing because the goal of peace here and now is the most likely to ensure Christians would never stop following Jesus' teachings however tough their life could be. It is also the most likely to inspire non believers to become Christians. It is also the most likely to inspire people who don't believe in an after life let alone in the possibility of reaching Eternal Peace to become Christians.

The most important aspect of Jesus' invitation to be happy and at peace here and now is that non believers would be more likely to put Jesus' teachings into practice because it wouldn't require any faith. Can you see why? Because it can be evaluated. It is hence a very pragmatic approach, perfectly relevant for our materialistic time.

You see the point? No one cares about loving God or their neighbor unless they already have faith! No one can check if they will indeed go to Heaven! Only teachings leading to inner peace can be evaluated: people can start putting Jesus' teachings into practice – which doesn't even require being baptized – and, if they find a little peace, keep practicing; if they don't find any peace at all, don't waste any time practicing. A very pragmatic approach which can potentially inspire everyone at some point in their life when the world doesn't make them happy any more – which, by the way, also happens to celebrities who, despite their apparently dream life, can be, just like anyone, sick, depressed, heart broken or addicted to drugs for example.

So why isn't this approach taught? Why doesn't any Christian preacher or institution tell us Jesus' teachings can make us happy and at peace here and now (provided we put enough work into it)? Here's my take on this: because if they did, they would have to deliver; they would have to allow Christians to experience peace otherwise they wouldn't be taken seriously.

Now how many Christians feel God's peace on a regular basis? I know the answer to this question: many Christians only feel God's peace once in a while... if ever. This is why not saying that Jesus teaches about the possibility of inner peace here and now and, basically, telling people "Don't worry if you're not at peace for, if you are good, you will be after you die" may sound like a smart thing to do. Smart but not true to Jesus.

Of course, Christian preachers and institutions need to make it seem like they know what they're doing and they need Christians to rely on them so they give lots of importance to knowledge, sometimes in ways that are so complicated that only Christians who have studied theology can understand. Yet Jesus used to address crowds of uneducated people for whom simplicity was necessary. More over, Jesus was very clear knowledge is next to useless:

"The seventy-two returned with joy and said, 'Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.' He replied, 'I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.' At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, 'I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.'" (Luke 10:17-21)

This means that while failing to allow them to experience God's peace, Christian preachers and institutions blind Christians with a lot of useless knowledge, thus being very similar to the teachers of the law and the Pharisees Jesus tackles in Matthew 23 of which I will only quote two verses:

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to." (Matthew 23:13, this is for failing to allow their followers to experience God's peace then proceed to Eternal Peace.)

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are." (Matthew 23:15, this is for making knowledge seem indispensable.)

I hope you now understand how vital it is for us Christians and possible sympathizers to experience God's Peace rather than merely have faith we will be bestowed Peace after we die. I would therefore like to ask you two questions: Do you feel God's peace on a daily basis? And if you don't, would you like to?

If you answered 'no' then 'yes' to those questions, I suggest you read my website (shaktilence.com), which I created after Jesus appeared to me in Church in September 2019 and he requested me to witness to what he had taught me when I met in Heaven during a near death experience 20 years earlier plus to the inner revelations he gave me ever since. (if you knew my previous website, this is a new one with a slightly different approach and more revelations).

Now, even to the disciples who lived in Jesus' presence daily for three years, even to the disciples who received his teachings daily, even to the disciples who had the opportunity to ask as many questions as they wished, Jesus said, soon before being crucified: "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear" (John 16:12) and yet nothing much was added to Christianity in 2000 years, nothing the disciples couldn't handle, that's for sure, so John 16:12 most certainly refers to something really new and, indeed, visiting my website can seriously challenge a narrow minded Christian's beliefs.

For this reason, a number of Christians accused me of being inspired by the devil or of being a false prophet over the past three years and I feel it is important to address this issue. Jesus indeed warned us that false prophets would come (Matthew 7:15) and he also told us how to recognize whether someone is a false or a true prophet – or simply a false or a true Christian teacher, for that matter: "By their fruit you will recognize them" (Matthew 7:16).

Now, what is this fruit Jesus is talking about? I already gave you a hint, it is peace. Peace is the fruit of a good Christian teaching. Would you say it is inner peace or Eternal Peace?

Here again, the answer is simple and I broached it above: no one can be 100% sure they will have Eternal Peace, especially if they don't have a daily taste of inner peace which is the only kind of peace that can be felt or evaluated. This means the only fruit by which we can recognize someone who really teaches in the name of Jesus is peace. This is confirmed in the Gospel of Matthew: the Pharisees pretended Jesus performed miracles thanks to the devil and he replied:

"Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand?'"(Matthew 12:25-26).

In the same way, the devil cannot bestow peace so when peace is felt without any external intervention, such as hypnosis or a drug, it can only come from God. This is why, again, peace is the fruit by which a teacher who is truly appointed by Jesus can be recognized.

The fact that 90% of my students do experience peace or at least have some sense of relaxation when practicing the techniques for spiritual growth Jesus requested me to teach in his name is therefore the proof that I am indeed not inspired or lead by the devil but by God.

I will add that peace should be felt on a regular basis even when practicing Jesus' teachings on one's own. If peace is only felt at church or at the temple, something is missing.
Old 19-06-2022, 02:23 PM
This was a very thoughtful post.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 19-06-2022, 04:08 PM
Guide

Great post, very helpful and informative.
Old 19-06-2022, 09:58 PM
Master

Everything that is being advocated is predicated on faith. Either the faith in Jesus or the teacher to try it.
Old 19-06-2022, 10:36 PM
''...to be at peace here and now''

Well, I'm not Christian, since I don't believe in all of the only definition ever made officially, and not changed since 325.
BUT, Jesus came to teach us how to be happy, abundant, at peace here,
to trust in our Father...(just some of the many reasons).
By practicing his advice, instructions, guidance or directions he gave...it sure made MY life carefree.
I would say in a short ride to someone ...''You don't have to be Christian ...
but if you follow what Jesus said...Man, will it make your life sweet!''

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 19-06-2022, 11:45 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentDrum
Hi,
Last Wednesday I posted this question on reddit: "If you met a non Christian in the elevator and they asked you: 'Why would I become a Christian?', what would say?"
I would smile and say "I give up,why?"

I don't see that as a thing I would be comfortable answering for a person.
Especially in a elevator.
But I might also say."go find out and see".
Christianity is such a big tent with so many choice and motivations it can make your head spin.
If someone asked about following Christ, I would hopefully say "Ask your Creator in prayer and believe you will get your answer."
"Thank your Creator daily for the answer that is coming your way and stay open for that answer, which ever form it comes in."
Let them know that the Christ is our Love Commander, telling us to Love.

Last edited by ImthatIm : 20-06-2022 at 12:39 AM.
Old 20-06-2022, 04:55 PM
Master

Quote:
Here is Jesus' answer – which only takes seven words and can be given in a one floor elevator ride: to be at peace here and now.
SilentDrum,

The answer that you provide does not appear anywhere in the Bible….even paraphrased…as a quote of Jesus. In your supporting scriptures that immediately followed this assertion not once does the word ‘peace’ appear.

Here is what Jesus did say concerning peace: Matthew 10:34….”Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.” Jesus did not wish or give peace to the crowds that He spoke to. The only time that He bestowed peace was after the resurrection….and then just to his disciples….the true believers. What He gave after the resurrection was the Spirit. Peace is a fruit of the Spirit. In the Christian sense there is no peace without faith, belief in God, and receiving the Spirit.

Peace, as the world might understand it, can come by other means that are not specific to Christianity, namely meditation for example.
Old 20-06-2022, 10:29 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
If someone asked about following Christ, I would hopefully say "Ask your Creator in prayer and believe you will get your answer."
"Thank your Creator daily for the answer that is coming your way and stay open for that answer, which ever form it comes in."
Let them know that the Christ is our Love Commander, telling us to Love.

ImthatIm,

A good answer……very close to Hebrews 11:6….”And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”
Old 23-06-2022, 02:22 PM
Knower
Come on guys, not a single one of you even tried to make it seem like you're not eating from the hand!

*Deleted* I am leaving this forum once and for all and I am calling Matthew 10:.11-15 on all of you.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 23-06-2022 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Rude
Old 23-06-2022, 02:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Come on guys, not a single one of you even tried to make it seem like you're not eating from the hand!
*Deleted*, I am leaving this forum once and for all and I am calling Matthew 10:.11-15 on all of you.
I love this part of Matthew ' and there abide till ye go thence.'