Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 04-05-2022, 09:04 AM
Master
Didache.

Chapter 4 - Various Precepts.

' My child, remember night and day him who speaks the word of God to you, and honor him as you do the Lord. For wherever the lordly rule is uttered, there is the Lord.'

Is this Precept ' Wishful thinking ' or am I missing something?
https://www.earlychristianwritings.c...e-roberts.html
Old 04-05-2022, 03:40 PM
Master

if you accept that the word of god must be equivalent to what people say it is, yeah this is wishful thinking. If not, well your mileage may vary...
Old 04-05-2022, 04:23 PM
Master

Not impressed by the Didache. “Why do you call me good ?” It is the Spirit that should speak to us directly…..not man.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Not impressed by the Didache.

I personally am not impressed with any Scriptures but I am inspired
Old 04-05-2022, 08:34 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
' My child, remember night and day him who speaks the word of God to you, and honor him as you do the Lord. For wherever the lordly rule is uttered, there is the Lord.'
Is this Precept ' Wishful thinking ' or am I missing something?
https://www.earlychristianwritings.c...e-roberts.html
It is that simple. Thanks for sharing.

It is also claimed that many of the Early Christians learned the 'truth' from the Didache. The chapter that impressed me the most was chapter 7. That chapter smooths over the differences of the various Baptisms.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 05-05-2022, 06:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
It is that simple. Thanks for sharing.

It is also claimed that many of the Early Christians learned the 'truth' from the Didache. The chapter that impressed me the most was chapter 7. That chapter smooths over the differences of the various Baptisms.

I like the word ' Living ' water in that Chapter....

[It is that simple. Thanks for sharing]
I personally don't think that Chapter 4 is that simple to understand....
Old 05-05-2022, 06:37 AM
Master
The Didache was written so 'new' people could understand the basics. It might even be considered as a pre-cursor to the Catechism.

A few years ago, I had a really nice time in Tombstone, Arizona. It turned out some Catholics were handing out literature and I got to talk to them. Their 'leader' seemed to be well verse in the Didache so we spent a considerable amount of time on the subject. I was delighted to see that their 'leader' and his followers, had much in common with me and vice versa. After 1-2 hours of chatting, I left but only after they gave me several gifts which I treasured.

As for 'living water'...... to me, that is a common expression.

Jesus talked much on this subject. One of his sayings, found at John 4:14 reads:
"But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
The Didache was written so 'new' people could understand the basics.

It's about ethics and morals and directed towards the Gentiles. It's amazing to think it was discovered by accident amongst other Ancient Manuscripts, I wonder how many other Hidden Gems are waiting to be found covered in dust....
Old 05-05-2022, 02:35 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
It's about ethics and morals and directed towards the Gentiles. It's amazing to think it was discovered by accident amongst other Ancient Manuscripts, I wonder how many other Hidden Gems are waiting to be found covered in dust....

Sky,

Hard to see any hidden gems in the didache. More a treatise on rules and good practices. Rules have the implication that one is saved by works. The underlying message of the gospels should focus on freedom gained rather than a new set of rules. That emphasis on rules and practices would seem familiar to those of a Jewish mindset.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Sky,

Hard to see any hidden gems in the didache. More a treatise on rules and good practices. Rules have the implication that one is saved by works. The underlying message of the gospels should focus on freedom gained rather than a new set of rules.

Thankfully we all see things differently, some Theologians see the Didache as a 'Treasure from Heaven' the crown of Christian writings, being as close a link as there is to the original Teachings of Jesus....

Last time I read the Gospels they are full of rules/regulations and threats....