Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 20-07-2021, 05:54 PM
Deactivated Account
Will your anchor hold?

Maybe a strange thing to quote a line from a Christian hymn as a thread title on the Buddhist section of the forum. Many moons ago I read a book by Jack Kornfield, "After the Ecstasy the Laundry." It had much to do with the nature of "enlightenment", not so much calling such a thing into question, more dispelling false notions - maybe the idea of floating a few feet above the ground, free from all worry and concern, dispensing wisdom to the folk below. (The book contained the zen koan/proverb:- "A clearly enlightened person falls into the well. How is this so?")

But as a slight tangent to such thoughts, Mr Kornfield spoke of many of the enlightened masters of the east and suggested that such, if given a wife, children, job and mortgage, would be hard pressed to maintain any degree of equanimity; in fact, would their anchor hold?

I've long reflected on this and actually see a possible connection between the two thoughts being raised i.e. false ideas of enlightenment and anchors holding (or not)

I'm always seeking greater clarity of mind. Perhaps others here could reflect and offer viewpoints. I'm very easy going and quite happy for the thread to meander wherever it might go. So feel free.

Thank you.
Old 20-07-2021, 06:17 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
I've long reflected on this and actually see a possible connection between the two thoughts being raised i.e. false ideas of enlightenment and anchors holding (or not)

What connection - between false ideas of enlightenment and anchors holding - do you see?
Old 20-07-2021, 06:17 PM
Master
[quote] Many moons ago I read a book by Jack Kornfield, "After the Ecstasy the Laundry"[quote]The Title immediately brought to mind the Zen Koan,
Before enlightenment chop wood carry water, after enlightenment chop wood carry water
Would they need an Anchor ?
Btw welcome to the Forum
Old 20-07-2021, 06:31 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayar415
What connection - between false ideas of enlightenment and anchors holding - do you see?

Just in a perception of what enlightenment might be and therefore calling into question how another reacts to circumstances. Some of the actions of zen masters often appear a bit way out!

Also, maybe, the story of the zen master who often took a walk through a village close to his monastery. Hearing cries and sobbing coming from one of the houses he enters and finds a family grieving over the loss of a loved one. The master sits down beside them, joining them with his tears. A novice from the monastery passes by and sees his master and exclaims:- "You of all people I would have thought would be beyond all this!" to which the master says, between his sobs, "It is this that puts me beyond it."
Old 20-07-2021, 06:41 PM
Deactivated Account
[quote=sky123][quote] Many moons ago I read a book by Jack Kornfield, "After the Ecstasy the Laundry"
Quote:
The Title immediately brought to mind the Zen Koan,
Before enlightenment chop wood carry water, after enlightenment chop wood carry water
Would they need an Anchor ?
Btw welcome to the Forum

Thanks for the welcome.

My mind tends to make immediate connections......although often I struggle to explain the connection!

The anchor question has to do with self-deception. The "enlightenment" that only accompanies periods of good fortune.
Old 20-07-2021, 06:49 PM
Master
Quote:
My mind tends to make immediate connections......although often I struggle to explain the connection!
The anchor question has to do with self-deception. The "enlightenment" that only accompanies periods of good fortune.
I see what you mean now they'd need more than an anchor....
Old 20-07-2021, 07:02 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:

If you are aware you are not mind, as it makes connections, how could you explain? As only the mind can explain and you know yourself to not be mind.
Old 20-07-2021, 07:07 PM
Deactivated Account
[quote=sky123][quote=The Cobbler's Apprentice]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I see what you mean now they'd need more than an anchor....

There's the famous parable of the raft where upon reaching the "further shore" you can dispense with the raft. Obviously, hopping off mid-ocean if you can't swim could be dicey.

Old 20-07-2021, 07:17 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
If you are aware you are not mind, as it makes connections, how could you explain? As only the mind can explain and you know yourself to not be mind.
Your mind creates your world.
Old 20-07-2021, 07:18 PM
Master
[quote=The Cobbler's Apprentice][quote=sky123]
Quote:

There's the famous parable of the raft where upon reaching the "further shore" you can dispense with the raft. Obviously, hopping off mid-ocean if you can't swim could be dicey.

I think I'll need more than one raft to arrive