Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Master
Experimenting with Church

I conducted a recent experiment. After being on these boards for a couple of years and participating in and reading other’s debates on Christianity and other religions, I decided to walk back into a church after 18 years. I wanted to see if my original religious upbringing would be enough to ignite my flame again and spark renewed interest in the church scene. Mind you, in the past 18 years I have ventured far away from organized religion of any kind. I’ve focused studying new age spirituality/metaphysics, meditation and a variety of religions and philosophies all of which have expanded my mind far beyond what I was conditioned to turn off my mind and accept in church. But I really tried to return with a full open mind for 3 months until I could no longer live the hypocrisy. Too often I entered the door feeling positive, full energy charged only to leave feeling deflated and 12 again. I also left feeling angry at the false rhetoric that was being spread to the congregation as truth. None of it felt like truth to me. I felt like I was compromising myself for a cause that I couldn’t support whole-heartedly. I was reminded very quickly why I left 18 years ago. I have resigned myself to return to what has worked for me all along and that is to have a relationship with my maker in my daily life without the need to worship in an organized religious structure. I feel stronger now with my convictions than before I conducted this experiment as I can no longer wonder if the decision I made 18 years ago was the right one for me personally. It still is. Despite my own revolution, I respect all religious faiths and practices.

Have you had a religious or spiritual epiphany that caused you to make a change?

Blackraven
Old 09-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Master
I would call you a judgemental personality, but, then again that would be judgemental of me, wouldn't it.

You don't say what kind of church...
How many perspectives, and denominations are there in Christianity, do you think?

Sorry you feel that way. When I leave my (Lutheran) church after singing a number of uplifiting hymns about victory and overcoming the world, listen to an exhortation by the minister, shaking hands with people and wishing them peace, and to be well...
I feel renewed.
Are perspectives everything in life, do you think Raven? Related to faith, and positive thinking?

We're blessed with rather a grand organ, and, a competent organist as well.
The music is excellent. Joyous.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 10-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
I would call you a judgemental personality, but, then again that would be judgemental of me, wouldn't it.

You don't say what kind of church...
How many perspectives, and denominations are there in Christianity, do you think?

Sorry you feel that way. When I leave my (Lutheran) church after singing a number of uplifiting hymns about victory and overcoming the world, listen to an exhortation by the minister, shaking hands with people and wishing them peace, and to be well...
I feel renewed.
Are perspectives everything in life, do you think Raven? Related to faith, and positive thinking?

We're blessed with rather a grand organ, and, a competent organist as well.
The music is excellent. Joyous.

Morpheus - I didn't think it was pertinent to disclose the specific type of Christian church I went too because I didn't want judgment passed on me. Interesting you should mention how uplifting you feel shaking hands with people and wishing them well. That is one thing that drove me away. My spouse has a skin condition that is not contagious, but makes his skin discolored. People around our pew refuse to shake hands with us and offer us the sign of peace. After while you start to feel paranoid about whether or not your wanted there and you feel harshly judged by others. That is not the primary reason for departing; it was a combination of many things that I felt I was compromising myself. So please don't pass judgment on me and call me judgmental. My faith is as strong as it has ever been in my maker and what is expected of me in life, I just choose not to worship in a church setting, that is all. I feel my positive thinking is more positive outside of the church setting. I respect you and your choices just the same.

Blackraven
Old 10-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Master
Blackraven if you have had searching of metaphysical stuff and are looking for signs a conservative church will suffocate you and probably put you to sleep with boredom.

You wont hear about how evil the world and non christians are is from the pulpit these days thats all stopped now mostly. The old hellfire and brimstone days are gone.

If you want a real experience spiritually attend a spirit filled pentecostal service.

They are a real eye opener and more like a good time and really alive with signs and wonders.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Master
Freedom and Praise

Quote:
Blackraven if you have had searching of metaphysical stuff and are looking for signs a conservative church will suffocate you and probably put you to sleep with boredom.

You wont hear about how evil the world and non christians are is from the pulpit these days thats all stopped now mostly. The old hellfire and brimstone days are gone.

If you want a real experience spiritually attend a spirit filled pentecostal service.

They are a real eye opener and more like a good time and really alive with signs and wonders

Agreed AU.
While I've sttled into a Lutheran congregation, I've spent alot of time attending Full Gospel services in the past, where loud shouts of joy, and praise are the norm. You get what you give out. I wish I had one nearby to alternate between.
In that environment also, you will find miracles occurring, as well.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 10-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Master
Once you have realized beyond religion, you cannot go back to it, there is no longer anything there that can ever satisfy your taste for truth. Christianity was a great stepping stone, but I had to in the end drop it, so as to enter pure Awareness, or my own inner Christ-hood.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Master
LACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Once you have realized beyond religion, you cannot go back to it, there is no longer anything there that can ever satisfy your taste for truth. Christianity was a great stepping stone, but I had to in the end drop it, so as to enter pure Awareness, or my own inner Christ-hood.

Again Psycho, an indication of lack of understanding, and a certain mindset.
Your particular perspective, as exampled in your quote, may fall in with Christian Unitarian, or otehr. Church either way is about community also. If Ego interferes or mucks up things, and human nature... it is not the fault of, "Religion". It's the fault of human nature.
Religion has plenty to say about it.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Again Psycho, an indication of lack of understanding, and a certain mindset.
Right back at you, I have been where you are, but have you been where I AM now ?.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Master
Quote:

Agreed AU.
While I've sttled into a Lutheran congregation, I've spent alot of time attending Full Gospel services in the past, where loud shouts of joy, and praise are the norm. You get what you give out. I wish I had one nearby to alternate between.
In that environment also, you will find miracles occurring, as well.
If you didn't see stuff going on from God to amaze you you would think you were attending a philosophy seminar. When people ask god for things and it is answered it is really encouraging and it feels like interaction with a living God.

some of the pentecostal services have akind of goodfeeling like this positive energy in the room.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice

Phew - I knew I could could on you Robert. I agree with you totally, replacing "Christianity" with my particular "organized religion" (you know what it is). I feel pure awareness is extremely hard to reach and for me I was reminded that I was on the track to reaching it before I jumped ship and looked for a cage to box me in. Sometimes in life we take paths for our own learning and exploration.

Blackraven