Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 23-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
but it's sad that they moved into a country setting and didn't have respect for the natural surroundings including God's animals. OK, thanks for letting me rant.

Blackraven
I think that's one of the perks of having the only truth, whatever you do in your religion's name is above reproach because God himself is leading you to do it.
Old 23-05-2012, 11:05 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
I see what you're getting at, but I've never cared for such ambiguous distinctions. It's mostly a safety valve so one can say "woah! That's NOT spiritual, that's religious" as a way to separate perceived distasteful aspects of religious behavior and interpretation. With the removal of modern biases against the word religion, it becomes clear that Jesus was (albeit heretical for his time) religious.

Jesus was born of one religion but preached of another upon the rock of Peter's faith.

Why does religion receive a negative connotation, especially from anti-religious liberals? was it not in the 20th century when the world faced secular values that fostered violence, killing millions?
Old 23-05-2012, 11:36 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I think that's one of the perks of having the only truth, whatever you do in your religion's name is above reproach because God himself is leading you to do it.

Churches may not officially endorse or oppose any political candidate and maintain tax-exempt status.

Just look at it as a hornet's nest. Nobody in their right mind wants the churches to unite.

But I do think that this will be an issue in the upcoming years.

The Catholic church just released a legal Armageddon on the Obama administration. Too bad the media is so biased, not reporting anything at this time that may hurt Obama's reelection. About the greatest historical event for religious freedom is happening.
Old 24-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
Churches may not officially endorse or oppose any political candidate and maintain tax-exempt status.

Just look at it as a hornet's nest. Nobody in their right mind wants the churches to unite.

But I do think that this will be an issue in the upcoming years.

The Catholic church just released a legal Armageddon on the Obama administration. Too bad the media is so biased, not reporting anything at this time that may hurt Obama's reelection. About the greatest historical event for religious freedom is happening.
I see it more like the RCC's beliefs negatively affecting the public and so it's a tricky issue. Not all Catholic's agree with the lawsuits though, many on the left oppose the church's move to the right. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the courts. I imagine the church organizations will win, but who knows?
Old 24-05-2012, 01:20 AM
KimLyons1

Unfortunately Blackraven. Some ancestral Native Americans could say the same about your home. We all are responsible for moving out nature. Finding balance gets lost when humans need a home.
Old 24-05-2012, 01:22 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I see it more like the RCC's beliefs negatively affecting the public and so it's a tricky issue. Not all Catholic's agree with the lawsuits though, many on the left oppose the church's move to the right. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the courts.

Yes it will, there are many Christian leaders stating that this issue is worthy of prison time. The U.S. under the darkened veil of the media, is under way for a war (now legal). Already the Arch Bishop's message was censored from being read by all military chaplains, the letter was feared as being a call to civil disobedience. Contraception is just a "cover up" story. 60 million Catholics and not even mentioning how many Christians are beginning to side with the Catholics. The division happening in the church is reminding me of wheat and chaff, and regardless of the numbers, there's only a need for as many who lap up water like dogs.
Old 24-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Jesus was born of one religion but preached of another upon the rock of Peter's faith.
That's one opinion, but it could be argued that Jesus' form of early Christianity resembled fringe Jewish sects, until Paul begin "de-Jewifying" it as it were, where the faith became more open to gentiles who had no Jewish background or knowledge.

Quote:
Why does religion receive a negative connotation, especially from anti-religious liberals? was it not in the 20th century when the world faced secular values that fostered violence, killing millions?
Partly because the word religion in the Western world has strong associations with Christianity, which has a history of being rather anti-scientific and intolerant. So it's natural to assume all religion is just as problematic from a modern rationalist perspective, which isn't the case, in my opinion. I think Christianity, along with many other forms of religion have a place in the modern world, provided they take a less confrontational relationship with scientific progress and academia.
Old 24-05-2012, 01:38 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
That's one opinion, but it could be argued that Jesus' form of early Christianity resembled fringe Jewish sects, until Paul begin "de-Jewifying" it as it were, where the faith became more open to gentiles who had no Jewish background or knowledge.

Partly because the word religion in the Western world has strong associations with Christianity, which has a history of being rather anti-scientific and intolerant. So it's natural to assume all religion is just as problematic from a modern rationalist perspective, which isn't the case, in my opinion. I think Christianity, along with many other forms of religion have a place in the modern world, provided they take a less confrontational relationship with scientific progress and academia.

Great input Animus27.
Old 24-05-2012, 01:43 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Great input Animus27.
Thanks!
Old 24-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimLyons1
Unfortunately Blackraven. Some ancestral Native Americans could say the same about your home. We all are responsible for moving out nature. Finding balance gets lost when humans need a home.

KimLyons1 - If you like you can pm me to discuss the history of pioneers 400 years ago in my area and how their migration impacted the Native Americans. The county I live in passes milages each year to preserve open green space and to keep wooded preserves from being built in. My house is the oldest on my the dirt road - older than you. We all do what we can to watch and care for the wild life here. I wasn't being self-righteous when I called the church. I was really being a worried mother hen. You made a strong point, however as I often think about how the automobile industry has shrunken this planet. But that's a whole other area to debate and I don't want to sidetrack this thread.

Blackraven