Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 20-06-2012, 08:46 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDazzle
Christianity err.. " Churchianity" is a big business right now. I can't imagine it being easy to find a Christ like church these days. There have been a lot of emphasis put on SIN, Tithing, and Faith to guilt church members to support the building and costs of the church, but rarely do they teach the REAL meaning of these words. TITHE= A Tenth. A tenth of what? A tenth of crops, goods, property, money etc. To help support the church and the needy. SIN = miss the mark. SON= Same as. ( hmmm )

Just curious, what separates... say this forum from a good ol' Christian church. I see that both ask for donations, and this site even has a shop. The only difference I see, is that the church generally has books worth reading and actually does something for the community. But to the benefit of the church, not every idiot has a microphone, or in this case a keyboard. I'm just say'n.....
Old 20-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDazzle
Christianity err.. " Churchianity" is a big business right now. I can't imagine it being easy to find a Christ like church these days. There have been a lot of emphasis put on SIN, Tithing, and Faith to guilt church members to support the building and costs of the church, but rarely do they teach the REAL meaning of these words. TITHE= A Tenth. A tenth of what? A tenth of crops, goods, property, money etc. To help support the church and the needy. SIN = miss the mark. SON= Same as. ( hmmm )

Mr. Dazzle brings up something noteworthy.
Originally, the tithe was not necessarily about cash. And, it was advocated, as we see in several verses in the Bible, that the poor were to be aided, and, the orphans...and widows.
Again, it's about community.

Today, churches more and more are utilizing the electronic auto deduction practice, of allowing subscription of a monthly deduction from card accounts, or the bank account, so the individual doesn't have to write a check or search for cash on a Sunday morning for the offering.
Now, there is one Food Bank in the area that is not affiliated with any particular church or religion, but, most of them are involved with Christian.
Not necessarily with a particular denomination, though one is directly connected with the Baptist.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 21-06-2012, 04:32 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
But the funny thing is that I rarely meet a Christian who is bold, self confident and full of self love.
You clearly do not move in the upper echelons of commerce and industry.
Old 23-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Mary Baker

Quote:
I've known Christians that seemed very happy from their faith, but there was still an underlying unhappiness not so evident on the surface. I don't see how the mind can totally ignore messages that say you're a sinner deserving of punishment.
Seawolf

That is not the message I get from Christ and from my personal experience. The message I get is that we have free will to choose to be spiritually healed by"The Great Physician" when we have chosen illness and be restored or we can refuse healing Love and suffer the natural consequences of possible annihialation.

I think, "Thy will be done on earth as it IS in heaven" indicates that non -love (hate is temporary as is the earth and Love is eternal. ("You pays your money(Your earthly life)and takes your choice.)" The temporal or the eternal.
Old 23-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Mary Baker

Does Christianity promote or destroy self esteem?

Quote:
I've known Christians that seemed very happy from their faith, but there was still an underlying unhappiness not so evident on the surface. I don't see how the mind can totally ignore messages that say you're a sinner deserving of punishment.
Seawolf

That is not the message I get from Christ and from my personal experience. The message I get is that we have free will to choose to be spiritually healed by"The Great Physician" when we have chosen illness and be restored or we can refuse healing Love and suffer the natural consequences of possible annihialation.

I think, "Thy will be done on earth as it IS in heaven" indicates that non -love (hate is temporary as is the earth and Love is eternal. ("You pays your money(Your earthly life)and takes your choice.)" The temporal or the eternal.
Old 23-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Master
In rehab organizations, and support groups, HONESTY, is crucial, and of utmost importance.

When a person comes to Christ they are being honest. They admit, by the power and revelation of the Holy Spirit, which involves true objectivity, that they are imperfect, and worthy of judgement.
Not all are honest though, are they.

The good news is about how He took our imperfections, and flaws and sin upon Himself for our sakes, and we are free from judgement, before God.

As exemplified in my present proifile signature.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 24-06-2012, 05:22 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
In rehab organizations, and support groups, HONESTY, is crucial, and of utmost importance.

When a person comes to Christ they are being honest. They admit, by the power and revelation of the Holy Spirit, which involves true objectivity, that they are imperfect, and worthy of judgement.
Not all are honest though, are they.

The good news is about how He took our imperfections, and flaws and sin upon Himself for our sakes, and we are free from judgement, before God.

As exemplified in my present proifile signature.

There is no such thing as true objectivity when it come to matters spiritual. Everything is based on personal belief, experience and individual evolutionary level. Your statement that "they are imperfect, and worthy of judgement" is perfect example of personal belief with absolutely no basis in objectivity or fact whatsoever. You cannot prove otherwise. If you feel you can, lets hear it!
Old 24-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Master
Quote:
You hear some very terrible stories about Christianity and how it can destroy self worth. How does it seem to you? Does Christianity encourage self worth or destroy it? When I was young my heart was filled with Christian spirit; yet I felt ashamed. I feel that Christs example of self sacrifice may have a negative effect on Christians who start to feel guilty about BEING themselves and loving themselves.

Are there any Christians here with a strong sense of self worth?

Honza - Anything during developmental years can be either good or bad for our self-esteem. Bad parenting, horrible experiences, abuse and even misdirected guidance within a church. Like bad parents, not all church leaders are qualified to lead their congregations and so little developing minds get injured. I've seen people who after having grown up outside of the church and establishing who they are with healthy self-esteems become more committed to attended church later in life as an adult when they could make the decision on their own. That's not to say there is anything wrong with raising a family in the church, but developing self-esteem issues may surface. I wouldn't look to Christianity to build or kill a self-esteem in the first place though.

Blackraven
Old 24-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Bluegreen

Quote:
But the funny thing is that I rarely meet a Christian who is bold, self confident and full of self love.

How can a person be bold, self-confident and full of self-love when that person has been told from birth that s/he is a sinner, that s/he must believe in Jesus or be damned for eternity?
Old 29-06-2012, 05:31 AM
Zem

Quote:
You hear some very terrible stories about Christianity and how it can destroy self worth. How does it seem to you? Does Christianity encourage self worth or destroy it? When I was young my heart was filled with Christian spirit; yet I felt ashamed. I feel that Christs example of self sacrifice may have a negative effect on Christians who start to feel guilty about BEING themselves and loving themselves.

Are there any Christians here with a strong sense of self worth?

For me, I feel that Christ's example encourages my sense of self worth. He says that if we lay down our lives for each other, then we are worthy of the Kingdom. It's a paradox because this is something both hard and easy to do. It's hard because it means giving things up for others (ex. material possessions as well as our physical life). But it's easy because it involves a total letting go of one's self and letting God take control.

I think we need to be very wary of condemnation creeping in. It's not from God, it's from the devil.