Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 31-01-2011, 04:47 AM
Summerland

Oh no, no, no! Get rid of my beloved books? Heavens NO!! I have books from 35 years ago. After driving straight thru from Denver, CO to Miami, FL (about 1500 miles) I read all of "Gone With the Wind" in one setting to unwind. I am kind of a weird speed reader; I went to a class to learn how to speed read faster and their method just slowed me down) I love scary books and also have quite a collection of spiritual books that are well read. If I were stranded on a desert island I would be fine as long as I have my books.
Old 31-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Master
There is no need to get rid of your books, after all they are of the Tao also.
Old 31-01-2011, 05:04 AM
Summerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
There is no need to get rid of your books, after all they are of the Tao also.

For me , books are a way to learn, travel, meet new people from other times or other realms. A trip into the past or the future. Looking into another persons mind or outlook on life. It allows me to go anywhere that I want to be able to escape from reality for a bit. Maybe my way of "zenning out".
Old 31-01-2011, 05:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerland
For me , books are a way to learn, travel, meet new people from other times or other realms. A trip into the past or the future. Looking into another persons mind or outlook on life. It allows me to go anywhere that I want to be able to escape from reality for a bit. Maybe my way of "zenning out".
Yea i have no idea why one would want to get rid of their books if they already enjoy them ?.The clinging to the books is what needs to be investigated, find out why one clings to the books and then come back and really enjoy the books.
Yea I love my books, I only read one subject, non-dualism. I don't have to but i do enjoy it.
Old 31-01-2011, 05:47 AM
tragblack

Summerland, any tips for speedreading?
I just got a Kindle. =)
Old 31-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragblack
I just got a Kindle. =)
Why, are they boring ? lol.
Old 31-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Kapitan_Prien

The main reason why I keep my books are because they are strictly reference books and much of what is in the U-Boat books cannot be found online.
Old 31-01-2011, 04:01 PM
windwhistle

You know...it's a pattern for me to get rid of my books. As if...well I'm not into that anymore so I can't bear to look at it. However, I continually repeat patterns and have re-bought many of the same books I gave away 2 and 3 times. So for once, I am going to not repeat this behavior. I am keeping all my books!!!
Old 31-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Master
Oh how I love books.
Spiritlite.
Old 31-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Summerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragblack
I just got a Kindle. =)

You know, a coworker just tried to talk me into getting a Kindle. He loves his. I love the whole concept of sitting back in a chair with a cup of coffee and reading a book. The touch of the paper is intertwined with the reading experience. Speedreaders usually read the center words only. I don't and I don't know how it is that I speed read,tragblack. If there is something that I want to remember (Like in a spiritual book) I can even remember where it is on the page and on what side of the page (not the number of the page),just appox where it is in the book by just the feel of the book's thickness. Also after I have finished the novel, I will block the ending from my memory and when I reread it in a couple of years, I never remember exactly how the book ends, so it is always a fresh adventure. My hundreds of books have all been read at least 2-3 times. When I get one that I am not particularly fond of a book I take it to the book exchange.