Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 30-12-2020, 10:18 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyowl
This relationship between doing and being is a central focus of my contemplation at the moment. Breathing bridges across them both, and allows us to experience the transition between intentional activity (me doing it), and merging into the breath to lose the separate self.

There's also a distinction between narrow focus, like a spotlight on a small chosen activity, eg breathing, a mantra, a chakra; and wide-angle attention, taking in the whole of awareness. What I practice depends on how active is the monkey in my mind ha ha

My first real practice was the Vipassana practice of calm abiding starting somewhere back in 2009 and pretty much practiced exclusively for five or so years when I then started to mix in resting in awareness. It wasn't until the last few years where I was able to sit resting in awareness for an entire sitting of 30-45 minutes. Now I try to get two sittings in, mindfulness in the morning and resting in awareness in the evening. Both have value and were it not for mindfulness there's no way I would have had the patience and determination to persevere with resting in awareness.

I never cared for mantra or mental imagery and I tried those techniques several times before settling on mindfulness. They don't suit my nature and that's probably a good takeaway for anyone deciding on a technique. Go with a technique that "feels" right, at least for an initial technique, because I guarantee resting in awareness most likely will not "feel" right at first and that's even with having attained a certain degree of proficiency with a focused technique.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:10 PM
Seeker

Method for meditation

The only method that works well is no method.To go beyond thought takes focus but not thinking.Thinking keeps us from meditating and also becomes whom we think we are.I have been argued about this subject for years on Reddit until I finally left.It is very refreshing to discover other meditators on this forum that think and then don't think like I do.The strange things that occur in our lives after discovering this "non method' seems to be similar as well.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:20 PM
PureEvil760

I meditate while awake during normal life sometimes 24/7. I have an inner dialog and the main thing is focusing on silencing it completely. Talking verbally seems to be the only thing that throws me out of a meditative state. I worked for an Amazon warehouse awhile ago and would do it there, they track everything you do and put a digital display of the hardest/fastest workers to the slowest and I was top 3 out of hundreds of employees consistently. The 'grace of God' is a real thing. Didn't even care about the job, just did it for fun and to force myself into physical activity.

Awhile ago I tried taking tai chi classes which were surprisingly effective.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:29 AM
Master
We all arrive at meditation carrying unique baggage and with different outlooks. Like boats arriving at shore with different algae and barnacles on different keel materials, the first part of the process is we need to clean/remove our debris.
There are two mindsets to be aware of when starting meditation, traditionally they were known as Eastern and Western mindset - although these days this distinction is not so clear.
Eastern mindset is less egoic and easier for the teacher, in this mindset you are given a meditation and then you just immerse yourself into it and follow the instructions to the letter and stick with it- no questions just effort.
In Western mindset - which is more common - where there is a lot of thinking, then it is important for the teacher to find a method that the student finds interesting and fits their personality/mindset. Then the removal of the barnacles can begin!
That said, with the western mindset, as a teacher, it is useful to have a few meditation methods in your pocket, as the western mind is unlikely to stick to one method for long periods of time and needs different toys to play with to keep them interested. That is not a problem, as I said people come to meditation with different baggage so need to be handled appropriately.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:22 PM
Master

To add to all the above, there are many different meditation practices and each one of us naturally thinks that our own particular practice is the best and most effective for us. Because if we didn't think that our own practice was the best then we would drop it and do another practice.

So for example, my main daily practice is Shabd Yoga although I sometimes do other practices in addition. For me, Shabd Yoga is the best and most powerful meditation I have come across, which is why I have been doing it for 40+ years. But I appreciate that it is not for everyone, and others will benefit from other practices, including no method.

Peace
Old 08-01-2021, 07:42 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
To add to all the above, there are many different meditation practices and each one of us naturally thinks that our own particular practice is the best and most effective for us. Because if we didn't think that our own practice was the best then we would drop it and do another practice.

So for example, my main daily practice is Shabd Yoga although I sometimes do other practices in addition. For me, Shabd Yoga is the best and most powerful meditation I have come across, which is why I have been doing it for 40+ years. But I appreciate that it is not for everyone, and others will benefit from other practices, including no method.

Peace

True! There are innumerable practices and variations and one should approach one's own practice(s) as the one(s) that best suit the practitioner.

For instance I am largely following the Advaita tradition and by and large that tradition leverages Patanjili's techniques, however my first and ongoing focused practice is mindfulness and my other practice is no technique, no attending.

There's no right or wrong, better or best practice but just the practice that works best for the practitioner. At least for the vast majority of people who do practice. In other words householders and not renunciates. I'm guessing renuniciates aren't going to have that much choice and will follow the teachings and methods of senior monks of their chosen tradition.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:58 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
We all arrive at meditation carrying unique baggage and with different outlooks. Like boats arriving at shore with different algae and barnacles on different keel materials, the first part of the process is we need to clean/remove our debris.
There are two mindsets to be aware of when starting meditation, traditionally they were known as Eastern and Western mindset - although these days this distinction is not so clear.
Eastern mindset is less egoic and easier for the teacher, in this mindset you are given a meditation and then you just immerse yourself into it and follow the instructions to the letter and stick with it- no questions just effort.
In Western mindset - which is more common - where there is a lot of thinking, then it is important for the teacher to find a method that the student finds interesting and fits their personality/mindset. Then the removal of the barnacles can begin!
That said, with the western mindset, as a teacher, it is useful to have a few meditation methods in your pocket, as the western mind is unlikely to stick to one method for long periods of time and needs different toys to play with to keep them interested. That is not a problem, as I said people come to meditation with different baggage so need to be handled appropriately.
I think the Eastern one requires docile obedience and the Western one is like 'you do what you like'. The former removes discernment and the latter promotes pleasure. If meditation is about the truth, you need discerment, which means you won't be obedient, and the truth is what it is regardless of individual's preferences,

People have different baggage and that has to be purified as you say, but there is a key to purification which isn't different for different kinds of baggage. Though that doesn't rule out different methods as such, it does rule out methods that are not based on the fundamental key.

I know that's very disagreeable because it means you have to discern for yourself and you can't get what you want, but if one is really interested in what's true, they'll start paying attention to that.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:38 PM
Master
Addressing the opening post #1

Thought rested attentive stillness or meditation, upon subtle layers of lower mind receding, we may, with grace, enter Samadhi, when time and space disappear, even though we remain self aware in the void of no-thingness. In such a state, if and as and when we ‘return’, we may notice that linear time has elapsed, even though it didn’t seem so. (scriptures tell us that there are several levels of samadhi, but it may be best not to dwell upon the ‘mental’ definitions)

Essentially, devoid of fragmented thought, there is no ego identity, for it depends on its existence, fuelled by thought. That that remains, as self aware awareness, then simply is, poised unexpectantly in heightened attention.

In my view, meditation as a ritual is an interim step to slowing down momentum of thought, which has become a reflex response over time. Ultimately, meditation, being nothing other than our natural state, intimate and immediate, should be an ever present orientation. To get to or rather to reclaim this innateness to our being, perhaps we must slowly let go of the external and internalise our attention, with a view to prioritising rekindling (in active consciousness) our own divinity within.

No shortcuts!

Thought is eventually rested and employed only as an instrument. This of course automatically implies that we live in agendaless exuberance, vibrant in the bliss current.

The ‘letting go of’ to get to is an aspect of acceptance and surrender that needs to be constantly refreshed by simple, effortless, watchful mindfulness.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:56 PM
Thanks for that, Unseeeking Seeker!!!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 09-01-2021, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
...So for example, my main daily practice is Shabd Yoga although I sometimes do other practices in addition.
For me, Shabd Yoga is the best and most powerful meditation I have come across, which is why I have been doing it for 40+ years.
But I appreciate that it is not for everyone, and others will benefit from other practices, including no method.
Peace
You do? Well, we have something on common.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru