Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 14-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Deactivated Account

I consider myself an empath, but I didn't realise it for the longest time. I was raised with a narcissist and absorbed all of that, and it made me really sick (both physically and mentally). For a few years after his leaving our lives I continued this habit (especially in romantic relationships) without recognising it and I had no control over it, and I developed a few months long psychotic episode which I am only really just healing from. I was just so overwhelmed with the stuff from the collective unconsciousness which had entered as a result of my empathy constantly being switched to the 'on' position. This is when I learned I had to shut it down consciously or suffer complete mental incapacity. It has now given me a control over it that I never had before, and I consider that healthy. I believe I am here as a healer, but I was living my life in 'automatic' healer mode before, just taking in everything and not really remembering on a soul level how to properly deal with it. Now I have been processing all this whilst having my empathy more switched off so it does not build up again and I get overwhelmed. At some point in my life I think I will be able to consciously heal others without these problems reoccurring.
Old 14-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Administrator
@ Miss Hepburn what makes you think my star sign is Piscies? I'm not a believer of them anyway.my birth sign does sound nothing like me.i am more piscies than my sign Aries.but the time and day of my birth is not straight forward either.

Namaste
Old 14-07-2019, 10:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legrand
Hello Moonglow,

It's the first time I get to read you since the little time I am on this forum.

Thank you for taking the chance of sharing.

Since I just talked about the title of the first book I have read at 16 talking about spirituality on another thread. I'm quoting here the very first paragraph of this book.

"Silence and Secrecy! exclaimed Carlyle, they should be raised altars of universal worship. (If these were the days when altars were still being raised). Silence is the element in which great things are formed, so that it can finally emerge, perfect and majestic, in the light of the life they will dominate. (...) The word is great, too; but it is not the greatest. As the Swiss inscription states: the word is silver, silence is gold, or, as it would be better to say: the word is of time, the silence of eternity."

From Maurice Maeterlinck. Le Trésor des humbles.

Enjoy!

Hello Legrand,

Felt intrigued by the OP. Although I give myself no title personally, I feel a relationship with how empath was defined.

Another way I can relate to words is they can go through the process of how a person may understand thier meaning. Where as silence seem universal. Like a smile given, it needs no words.

Yes, can agree great things can emerge from the silence. It is like not thinking about it, just allowing the energy to flow.

What I also come to realize is that although I may sense what another is feeling, may also sense that he/she may not want to talk about it. So, may send a silent prayer or feeling of support to them. Respect thier privacy.

At work it can be challenging at times, for work in a busy kitchen and there are days lots of emotions fly around. This is when I focus on task at hand and not get too involved in the drama.

I also get people pick up on what I am feeling at the moment, especially if there is a relationship with him/her established. So, in some ways it seems natural, but with in society may create protective machinists which may have some be not so open.

Thank you for your thoughts and sharing.

Last edited by Moonglow : 14-07-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 17-07-2019, 03:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legrand
Hello,

From my brief time on this forum, I know there is at least another empath on it. So, I am wondering how many empaths there is on this Forum?

This is the official definition of the American Empath Association: An Empath is someone who understands the mental or emotional states of others in a way that defies conventional science and psychology. Empaths have the ability to sense the feelings, thoughts, and energies of people, plants, animals, places, or objects. In addition to sensing, Empaths absorb the energy of those around them. Empaths often experience stress or illness if they are bombarded by too many negative emotions. Empaths can also use their abilities to help others by imagining themselves in someone else’s situation and connecting with them on a deep level.

Please do feel free to share here how being an empath has affected your life. How do you deal with absorbing the energy of those around you? Are you able to turn this ability in a healing gift? Are you an empath since you are born or it came as an ability on your spiritual path? Anything you want to share.

I simply ask to those reading this thread, who are not empaths, to find in them a source of respect before posting.

Enjoy!

I’m an empath, born as this. My life has been to overcome the early absorption’s and skewed feelings, acquired from my earliest main carer’s and family ties. In the process of understanding myself as the ‘wounded healer’ I became a healer which is now supported by my empathic gifts. As a highly sensitive intuitive, my empathic ability is less involved with what I feel and more connected to being myself as a whole integrated person. So I feel and flow. Healing myself of others in me, that created a skewed, conditioned idea of myself, has taken 33 yrs. it’s been a very difficult and constant struggle to overcome on this journey, but when I see the results of being fully open, clear and flowing now, I know it’s been worth it.

I am on an empaths fb page. When I first arrived there were 144,000 empaths on there, with the majority struggling. I landed at a time where I was no longer struggling, so I supported where I could. Most empaths struggle with so much until they heal and flow with, rather than feeling and taking on, but in saying that for me walking through everything just open and willing to self reflect, let go of my victimhood and with a willingness to grow in everything activating me has been my gift. No stone left unturned, has granted me a solid foundation that now allows me to use the gifts of my healer empath self without containment.

You have to break out of yours/others jail first.
Old 19-07-2019, 03:44 AM
Master
I have always felt people and animals. I believe I am more open to animals than people. I feel safer with animals. This is where I am at the moment. When I look back to where I was as a child, teen or even young adult, I have grown by leaps and bounds with people. But, I am also still flummoxed by them. I still have a lot to learn.
Old 19-07-2019, 04:02 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anala
I have always felt people and animals. I believe I am more open to animals than people. I feel safer with animals. This is where I am at the moment. When I look back to where I was as a child, teen or even young adult, I have grown by leaps and bounds with people. But, I am also still flummoxed by them. I still have a lot to learn.

This is quite common for many empaths, children and animals tend to allow us to connect without being overwhelmed by hidden agendas or pain bodies projected in the relating.
Old 25-07-2019, 05:39 AM
Deactivated Account

This is from my personal experience about feeling other people's feeling (being drained by it). I would say that it's a lower state of consciousness. Try extreme level of mantra and for 3 days to a week and just notice what happens. What I mean with extreme is from the moment you wake up to the moment you fall asleep. If you are heavy in thought you might actually feel like your head is hurting at the beginning if you keep it up you will start noticing shifts in awareness and when you are around negative people you can after a while notice that you don't "feel" their emotions anymore just notice them as a happening.
Old 25-07-2019, 07:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions
This is from my personal experience about feeling other people's feeling (being drained by it). I would say that it's a lower state of consciousness. Try extreme level of mantra and for 3 days to a week and just notice what happens. What I mean with extreme is from the moment you wake up to the moment you fall asleep. If you are heavy in thought you might actually feel like your head is hurting at the beginning if you keep it up you will start noticing shifts in awareness and when you are around negative people you can after a while notice that you don't "feel" their emotions anymore just notice them as a happening.

Your right in that it’s not a permanent state that one has to be caught up in. I’m a prime example of overcoming empathic entanglements. If we feel and take on, it simply means that point in us has a reaction to balance something within our own being. Noticing and flowing with, is part of emotional empowerment that many empaths feel cannot be overcome.
Old 25-07-2019, 04:43 PM
Legrand

Hello,

They are a lot of positive aspects to being an empath that we don’t often talk about.

Just to give a few exemples. In my spiritual development I simply need to meditate with or just sit near, and now just simply focus on/with a master of a given discipline to actually feel his or her state of being. It really accelerated my ability to be in this world in different ways that would of taken me years of practice alone to discover otherwise.

And what not to say about those simple pleasures I sometimes give myself to enjoy, like just taking the time to take a few hours and sit in front of a new flower in the garden and watch it open to the sun. Actually becoming the flower for those few hours.

Enjoy!
Old 25-07-2019, 07:39 PM
Guide

I love this thread, and I loved reading everyone's input! I especially resonated with something LadyMay said above about always being in "automatic healer mode". This is what I have done my entire life as far back as I could remember without knowing it. I felt so deeply the emotions of my parents and siblings that I would cry a lot for them, or have mystery ailments stemming from what I'd assume was taking on other's energies. I still tend to do this and have only recently started to gain some control and learn when to shut it off and how to create healthier boundaries. Spending as much time away from people as possible seemed like the only answer. I suffered severe adrenal fatigue, dizziness and digestive issues, meanwhile everyone around me always commented how good they feel around me, that I am the only person they feel they can talk to who really understands them.

It has helped a lot just being aware and checking in with my own feelings and emotions first before I automatically invest all my energy into helping someone. It is like when someone confides in me about something (which happens often), it triggers a similar feeling within me and I can so easily put myself in their shoes. A lot of times the advice I give is exactly what I need to follow, but I'm learning as I go along. I believe I've finally found my "off switch" but it takes effort to remember to use it.