Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 08-07-2022, 01:20 AM
Ascender

Southern Fin Whale Population Rebounding

This is really, really good news. The fin whale population had pretty much been decimated by whaling.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...the-antarctic/

Quote:
Southern fin whales have recovered to large numbers in the Antarctic
Aerial surveys have found groups of up to 150 fin whales feeding near Antarctica, a sign that populations have bounced back since since the 1976 ban on hunting these whales
By Jason Arunn Murugesu

Large groups of southern fin whales (Balaenoptera physalus quoyi) have been seen in the Antarctic for the first time since since a moratorium on commercial whaling came into force in 1986.

Fin whales are the second largest species of whale in the world, measuring 22 metres long on average and weighing 70 tonnes. Their numbers dramatically dwindled in the Antarctic in the 20th century as they were hunted for their oil.

Fin whale hunting in the southern hemisphere has been prohibited since 1976. Since then, there have been anecdotal sightings of the whales around Antarctica, but no major survey assessing their numbers.

Helena Herr at the University of Hamburg in Germany travelled to the Weddell Sea in Antarctica in 2018 on the icebreaker Polarstern.

Using a helicopter, the researchers surveyed 3251 kilometres of ocean between April 2018 and March 2019. The team counted 100 groups of fin whales, consisting of up to four whales, and eight unusually large groups of up to 150 whales feeding together.

Old 23-01-2023, 05:21 PM
Deactivated Account

I felt really happy when reading this.
Old 03-02-2023, 08:28 AM
Master

It makes my heart swell to think the numbers are on the increase.
I myself was involved in a whale project. My project was with the orcas and their pods to monitor their travels along the Johnson strait .
It saddens me deeply to see such beautiful creatures in any kind of decline .
My own pod disappeared during travels one year. The mummy Sophia and her 3 babies did not return from travels.
So very very sad .

For whales, family is everything and if a family is split up due to loss of some of the family members , the aunts/ uncles etc take them on as their own.
And they grieve just like humans do.

I was devastated when 10 sperm whales were washed up onto the beaches at the end of my street and further up the coast and all perished .....

So terribly sad.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:39 PM
Administrator
It maker a change to read some good news

Namaste