Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 03-11-2020, 08:15 AM
Master

Why do we feel we need to praise God?

The planet is thickly dotted with places of worship of all kinds. A list of all such places would take up a couple of A4 pages. In my town of 20,000 people there are two main churches, very often even the smallest community has such a building.
The BBC has a programme 'Songs of Praise' on a Sunday - I always like to watch this half-hour I find it very uplifting although it's not something I would personally involve myself.
It does however disturb me that God wants to be praised - and for one very simple reason really.

I didn't ask to come here.

Why I should be plonked into life without my permission is a fundamental ignoring of any basic rights I may have had. Especially if the outcome at the end is a sojourn in a hell or heaven which I really don't need. Yes, I would have preferred to have been asked.

And there is another reason; What sort of ego does this entity we call God have? Why on earth should he want to be continually praised? Maybe of course he doesn't and we simply think he does. In spite of half of the world existing in poverty and hunger those we accept as religious leaders seem to think it's OK to grovel on one's knees and accept our lot - a lot which can vary (for some reason) from monarch to drain sweeper.

I'm not saying that I am unhappy with my lot - in fact the opposite would be true - but I would like to have the feeling that I had a say in the matter.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
The planet is thickly dotted with places of worship of all kinds. A list of all such places would take up a couple of A4 pages. In my town of 20,000 people there are two main churches, very often even the smallest community has such a building.
The BBC has a programme 'Songs of Praise' on a Sunday - I always like to watch this half-hour I find it very uplifting although it's not something I would personally involve myself.
It does however disturb me that God wants to be praised - and for one very simple reason really.

Why I should be plonked into life without my permission is a fundamental ignoring of any basic rights I may have had. Especially if the outcome at the end is a sojourn in a hell or heaven which I really don't need. Yes, I would have preferred to have been asked.

And there is another reason; What sort of ego does this entity we call God have? Why on earth should he want to be continually praised? Maybe of course he doesn't and we simply think he does. In spite of half of the world existing in poverty and hunger those we accept as religious leaders seem to think it's OK to grovel on one's knees and accept our lot - a lot which can vary (for some reason) from monarch to drain sweeper.

I'm not saying that I am unhappy with my lot - in fact the opposite would be true - but I would like to have the feeling that I had a say in the matter.

This could be one reason Busby.....

Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens! Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals! ... Revelation 14:12 ESV / 5

So if you believe the Bible is the ' Word of God ' then you have to do what is written
Old 03-11-2020, 10:40 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
This could be one reason Busby.....

Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens! Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals! ... Revelation 14:12 ESV / 5

So if you believe the Bible is the ' Word of God ' then you have to do what is written

You are ignoring the question. And obviously I don't believe that the Bible is the word of God otherwise I'd be satisfied with the Status Quo.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

- Mark Twain.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:55 AM
JustASimpleGuy

I'd say it's a matter of projection. That is people project God as they perceive themselves.

The less Divinity they find within themselves, the more anthropomorphic version of God they project.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:00 AM
Master
Quote:
You are ignoring the question. And obviously I don't believe that the Bible is the word of God otherwise I'd be satisfied with the Status Quo.

Oh, pardon me but I didn't think I was ignoring your question. If you don't believe the bible is the word of God then I could ask.... Do you feel the need to praise God ? , then you have your answer....

You did use the word ' We ' which will include you, but you can take ME out as I don't feel the need nor to I believe the bible is the ' Word of God '.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:21 AM
Master

A similar question was asked to Art of Living Guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar....

Quote:
Q: We sing bhajans, kirtans, and hymns to praise the Divine. Why does the Divine like praise, just like our seniors?

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar: You praise God, not for God, but for yourself. Those who do puja, don’t do it for God, but for themselves. If you praise someone, it’s not for their happiness, you do it for your own happiness.

Parents usually praise their 2 or 3-year-old children, however the child doesn’t understand a word of their praise. So why do they praise? To uplift themselves! Not because they expect something from the child.

This is the difference between praise and prayer. Stuti (repetition of God’s name) is that which raises our chetana (consciousness). We do stuti to raise our own consciousness, not to make God happy.

Praising God thus actually heightens our own consciousness and purifies it, bringing enthusiasm and energy with it as well.

Here is an interesting article on praising by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar...

https://www.artofliving.org/skill-praising

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 03-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Oh, pardon me but I didn't think I was ignoring your question. If you don't believe the bible is the word of God then I could ask.... Do you feel the need to praise God ? , then you have your answer....

You did use the word ' We ' which will include you, but you can take ME out as I don't feel the need nor to I believe the bible is the ' Word of God '.

My questions were; why was I not asked if I wanted to be here? and why should anyone be expected to praise any god when wallowing in poverty, disease, hunger and misery?

- Mark Twain.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:45 PM
Master
[quote=Busby]My questions were; why was I not asked if I wanted to be here? and why should anyone be expected to praise any god when wallowing in poverty, disease, hunger and misery?[

Why do we feel we need to praise God

Is the above not your question ?

Last edited by Native spirit : 05-11-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:02 PM
Master

Quote:

Busby,

Where were you before you came here ? What was it like ? Was it good ? As compare to what ?

Being given life is simply this: You are given a chance.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:18 PM
janielee

Quote:

I don't know that God wants to be praised, but I suspect that humans (some) need to praise...and as they praise, so they also blame (others)

It comes in a pair so to speak.

As to the lot of many, yes .. I suspect there are intricate workings at play (karma and results of karma) that determine how and what things play out.

Finally, as to why you are here, wouldn't that require a full immersion in Spirit (including whence being here) that could give you the answer? I don't think any of us can?

JL