Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 15-11-2010, 10:22 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenos
Hi K. Lets hope you get the gas money!
I'm not too sure as to how many Spiritualist churches there are near you but in the UK there's dozens and dozens. If you win the Lotto get yourself over here. You could do a different one every night :0)

G

They're pretty sparse in the USA. A problem for anyone trying to visit one.

Curious when Modern Spiritualism has its roots in Hydesville, NY....
Old 15-11-2010, 10:29 AM
glenos

When I spent a lot of time in Nashville I searched and searched and couldn't find one. Yes, Hydesville, I have been recently Googling it.
Old 15-11-2010, 10:47 AM
mac

Quote:
When I spent a lot of time in Nashville I searched and searched and couldn't find one. Yes, Hydesville, I have been recently Googling it.

Some while ago I planned to visit the US churches to compare us and them but the few I located weren't near the places we were travelling.

At the very beginning of the trip, though, I did find one close by in Florida which was in a traditional, prefabricated strip-mall building. Great atmosphere, lovely people and I was given clear evidence which was years later confirmed back in the UK.

Shame the US has so few of ours but far too many mainstream ones....
Old 15-11-2010, 04:54 PM
glenos

Go down any Nashville main street and there will be literally dozens of "normal" churches. All very nicely built and tended to with lovely lawns. Come Sunday many of the carparks would be packed and you know in a funny way I liked it. Ok so not our style as such but at least all these people worshipping the GWS. And all of the recordings of bells ringing out.. if only they were Spiritualst churches (oh boy)
Old 15-11-2010, 05:16 PM
mac

Quote:
Go down any Nashville main street and there will be literally dozens of "normal" churches. All very nicely built and tended to with lovely lawns. Come Sunday many of the carparks would be packed and you know in a funny way I liked it. Ok so not our style as such but at least all these people worshipping the GWS. And all of the recordings of bells ringing out.. if only they were Spiritualst churches (oh boy)

I do know what you mean...

In many US towns, Sunday morning is the quiet time on the roads and in the shops - folks are in church and, as you say, the parking lots are near full.

Following the services - often two of them during the morning - there's a pot-luck brunch which is something I've not heard of anywhere in the UK.

It's nice, communal and friendly and I like that part even though I don't care for the religious 'stuff' that goes on....

By midday Wal Mart is busy, as are McDonald's, Wendys, Burger King, Sonic, Carl's Jnr. et al as folks resume normal life but in their Sunday best clothes. Yuh don't see that over here!

Would that we could generate a similar community spirit in the UK's Spiritualist churches. Maybe we could reach new congregations through their bellies by introducing pot-luck brunch?

More ways of skinning a cat than one, eh?
Old 15-11-2010, 05:21 PM
deepsea

I found the same in MacKay,Qld,Oz when i was living out there.
Nary a spiritualist church in sight.
Mind,Mackay is a small country town and not much of anything at all.
Now Brisbane where I lived years ago,was so different,spirit churches all over the place.
Luckily where I live now,back in the UK,the church is down round the corner from I live,walking distance!
Arn't I lucky?

Deepsea
Old 15-11-2010, 05:24 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea
I found the same in MacKay,Qld,Oz when i was living out there.
Nary a spiritualist church in sight.
Mind,Mackay is a small country town and not much of anything at all.
Now Brisbane where I lived years ago,was so different,spirit churches all over the place.
Luckily where I live now,back in the UK,the church is down round the corner from I live,walking distance!
Arn't I lucky?

Deepsea

Lucky in so many ways, J.
Old 15-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Katiecat

Speaking of pot-lucks....the Spiritualist church that I visited has a potluck every 5th Sunday of the month....when there are 5, of course. And the first Sunday of the month is "bring a friend to church" day.
Old 15-11-2010, 06:09 PM
deepsea

Good idea,Katiecat.
We are always encouraged to bring friends to our church.
lovely happy atmosphere there always.

Old 15-11-2010, 06:31 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiecat
Speaking of pot-lucks....the Spiritualist church that I visited has a potluck every 5th Sunday of the month....when there are 5, of course. And the first Sunday of the month is "bring a friend to church" day.

Our committees in the UK might like this idea - over to you church people in the UK!