Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 PM
nightowl

Tell me about Christian Mysticism???

I would love to hear all history and views on Christian Mystics and their beliefs?

Please let's keep all responses respectful, thank you.

nightowl
Old 04-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Master
Christian mysticism is not about beliefs, but the term "mystic" means someone who knows from their own experience, direct communion in divine spirit / oneness / God / Holy Spirit.

There is an esoteric, mystical element in most religions... such as in Islam there is Sufism, and so on. These days it's called Awakening in the Truth.

My first introduction to mysticism came from Quaker writers such as George Fox:

"I saw also that there was an ocean or darkness and death,
but an infinite ocean of light and love which flowed over the
ocean of darkness. In that also I saw the infinite love of God..."

Xan

Old 04-08-2011, 01:15 AM
Master
Here is a good example of the Christian mystical view.

“The great mystics of all religions agree that in the very depths of the unconscious, in every one of us,
there is a living presence that is not touched by time, place or circumstance.

Life has only one purpose, they add, and that is to discover this presence.

"The men and women who have done this – Francis of Assisi, for example, Mahatma Gandhi, Teresa of Avila, the Compassionate Buddha –
are living proof of the words of Jesus Christ, ‘The kingdom of heaven is within.’
“But they are quick to tell us — everyone of them – that no one can enter that kingdom, and discover the Ruler who lives there,
who has not brought the movement of the mind under control.

And they do not pretend that our own efforts to tame the mind will suffice in themselves. Grace, they remind us, is all-important.
"‘Increase in me my grace,’ Thomas a Kempis prays, ‘that I may be able to fulfill thy words, and to work out mine own salvation.’

“The hallmark of the man or woman of God is gratitude – endless, passionate gratitude for the previous gift of spiritual awareness… it surrounds us always. "'Like a wind that is always blowing', said Francis de Sales; 'Like fire', said Catherine of Genoa, 'that never stops burning.'”

- Eknath Easwaran

Xan

Old 04-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Time

Horrible, traditions , which are blasphemous, and have no pertaining to any christian :O So say the romans :P

They are basicaly most of the gnostics, or nag hammadi codex. Basicaly what christianity was before rome got it. Added a bit of their own pagan traditions in, throw in a cup of time, a splash of corruption.. boom we have th KJV bible.

Ive been a bit more interested in these traditions latley. The book of Enoch is interesting. So are the books of peter and mary magdaline. The nag Hammadi is even more interesting. Many of the books have other copies, and have been confirmed and properly translated. The stories are really interesting!
Old 04-08-2011, 02:52 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Here is a good example of the Christian mystical view.

“The great mystics of all religions agree that in the very depths of the unconscious, in every one of us,
there is a living presence that is not touched by time, place or circumstance.

Life has only one purpose, they add, and that is to discover this presence.

"The men and women who have done this – Francis of Assisi, for example, Mahatma Gandhi, Teresa of Avila, the Compassionate Buddha –
are living proof of the words of Jesus Christ, ‘The kingdom of heaven is within.’
“But they are quick to tell us — everyone of them – that no one can enter that kingdom, and discover the Ruler who lives there,
who has not brought the movement of the mind under control.

And they do not pretend that our own efforts to tame the mind will suffice in themselves. Grace, they remind us, is all-important.
"‘Increase in me my grace,’ Thomas a Kempis prays, ‘that I may be able to fulfill thy words, and to work out mine own salvation.’

“The hallmark of the man or woman of God is gratitude – endless, passionate gratitude for the previous gift of spiritual awareness… it surrounds us always. "'Like a wind that is always blowing', said Francis de Sales; 'Like fire', said Catherine of Genoa, 'that never stops burning.'”

- Eknath Easwaran

Xan

Xan,

I really like this thanks Xan and thank you for the other info as well I heard of most of these people and have even read some of what they have written.

Time,

I have heard of many of these books you have mentioned, but funny, I never connected them to Christian Mysticism. I'm not really sure what the KJV has to do with it other then it is a poor translation of the Christian text. Personally I see it as a more esoteric form or belief that believes heavily in the movement of the Holy Spirit upon the individual, experiencing the spiritual power of God as oppose to just reading about it.

nightowl
Old 04-08-2011, 03:55 AM
Animus27

(yes it's not original, but it's actually a well written article heh) Wikipedia has a good piece on Christian mysticism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_mysticism

You can probably get some books to hound after from the bibliography. You're in luck that Christian mysticism actually has a very complex and well recorded history. Albeit very downplayed and/or ignored by many exoteric sects of Christianity nowadays.

Time mentioned the Gnostic gospels; those have some really interesting stories and such, but they are also Gnostic in nature which means that they'll sometimes have a radically different theology from mainstream Christianity, i.e. the creator god being evil in nature, etc.

Good luck nightowl :}
Old 04-08-2011, 04:03 AM
Animus27

I just remembered I had this saved, and thought it might interest you. It's an online copy of Mysticism: A Study in Nature and Development of Spiritual Consciousness by Evelyn Underhill: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/underhill/mysticism.toc.html

It's supposed to be a very good book on mysticism, from a mainly Christian point of view.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:31 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
I just remembered I had this saved, and thought it might interest you. It's an online copy of Mysticism: A Study in Nature and Development of Spiritual Consciousness by Evelyn Underhill: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/underhill/mysticism.toc.html

It's supposed to be a very good book on mysticism, from a mainly Christian point of view.

Animus27,

Thanks I will look this up. It is funny that you should have shared the wiki article, I have been reading it on and off. I find the 'mystic' part of beliefs very insightful.

nightowl
Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Master
It will come as no surprise if I say that I am not christian but I was recently very impressed by a mystic I met earlier this year [Easter or Ostara to me] I live in an ancient place, old when Christ was born, which has the finest Norman cathedral in Europe [built over a pagan shrine btw which is why I go there a lot]. Anyway, the street up to the cathedral from the river is rather steep and was originally laid by the Romans. This not-young man in a brown robe and sandals was trudging up the sharp incline dragging a large crucifix over his shoulder. Now that to me is a REAL mystic or maybe I have the wrong idea about mysticism.

Last edited by norseman : 04-08-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
It will come as no surprise if I say that I am not christian but I was recently very impressed by a mystic I met earlier this year [Easter or Ostara to me] I live in an ancient place, old when Christ was born, which has the finest Norman cathedral in Europe [built over a pagan shrine btw which is why I go there a lot]. Anyway, the street up to the cathedral from the river is rather steep and was originally laid by the Romans. This not-young man in a brown robe and sandals was trudging up the sharp incline dragging a large crucifix over his shoulder. Now that to me is a REAL mystic or maybe I have the wrong idea about mysticism.

Hey norseman,

I can understand what you are saying in this post. I have met some Christians that just carry a different vibe then most, it is something and does leave an imprint on your spirit. at least it does for me.

nightowl