Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 21-02-2021, 11:38 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
I'm going to take this beyond practice because in the end that's the purpose of practice. That state of being is the seat of not only free will but also ethics and morality. If one truly realizes one is not one's thoughts, memories and emotions then one is not caught up in the throws of reaction to thoughts, memories and emotions and in truth one's mind and emotional state does begin to become more stable and serene. Call it the meditative state and formal sitting is not required to achieve it as it progressively becomes a more natural state of being.

I just got to this part of "Swami Vivekananda: The Yogas and Other Works".

https://www.ramakrishnavivekananda.i...itual_uses.htm

PATANJALI'S YOGA APHORISMS

CHAPTER I

CONCENTRATION: ITS SPIRITUAL USES

1. Now concentration is explained.

2. Yoga is restraining the mind-stuff (Chitta) from taking various forms (Vrittis).

3. At that time (the time of concentration) the seer (Purusha) rests in his own (unmodified) state.

4. At other times (other than that of concentration) the seer is identified with the modifications.

5. There are five classes of modifications, (some) painful and (others) not painful.

6. (These are) right knowledge, indiscrimination, verbal delusion, sleep, and memory.

7. Direct perception, inference, and competent evidence are proofs.

I'll go one step further and say even when mind-stuff is not restrained one can still rest in his own (unmodified) state. It's always there and just has to be recognized experientially and understood for what It is.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:21 PM
Knower
Does anyone feel like the regress a little when they try new meditation methods?
Old 01-03-2021, 10:38 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1673
Does anyone feel like the regress a little when they try new meditation methods?

One definition for meditation in Sanskrit is familiarization. In essence it's becoming familiar with mind and different techniques have a different "feel" of familiarization, at least to me.

So yes, it makes sense but I wouldn't call it regressing. If anything I'd call it advancement via exploration of new territory.

I'd also say unless one has massive amounts of time, immense dedication and a strict regimen with seasoned guidance it's beneficial to stay with the least number of techniques that get the job done.

Broadly speaking I'd say a focused concentration technique, an effortless technique and a technique to cultivate positive qualities. For me that's mindfulness (either breath or sound), do nothing/just sitting and a bit of loving kindness.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:41 PM
Master

Have you guys found I AM? I used to meditate and have no idea of I AM. Took me almost 2 years or so of meditation to find I AM.

Now I don't even need to meditate, I AM is always here though many times I forget and return to my old ways.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:43 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
Have you guys found I AM? I used to meditate and have no idea of I AM. Took me almost 2 years or so of meditation to find I AM.

Now I don't even need to meditate, I AM is always here though many times I forget and return to my old ways.

There is no "I Am". That is the false self. Anything you find isn't It.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:47 PM
Master

Quote:
There is no "I Am". That is the false self. Anything you find isn't It.

I am using words to make sense, of course I AM can't be put into words, you don't find it, you need to do nothing to get to I AM, I AM is already here already found.

I AM is the lack of self. I use the expression "I AM" because I have no name for it.

If you set everything aside, what is that which remains?
Old 02-03-2021, 06:03 PM
Master

There is no terminology or words that are perfect. When talking to those using words, no words are correct. What brings it alive is knowing the truth.

Question: My question is: How to find the way to one's own Being?

Nisargadatta: Give up all questions except one: "Who am l?" After all, the only fact you are sure of is that you are. The "I am" is certain. The "I am this" is not. Struggle to find out what you are in reality.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:23 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
I am using words to make sense, of course I AM can't be put into words, you don't find it, you need to do nothing to get to I AM, I AM is already here already found.

I AM is the lack of self. I use the expression "I AM" because I have no name for it.

If you set everything aside, what is that which remains?

It was probably just my erroneous interpretation of "finding". I think in terms of "realizing".

It truly is indescribable, Ineffable, so I don't even like to use "I Am" because that's a tendency of Ahamkara to label, identify, objectify.

There's also a very subtle meditator's ego and it leads to the observer trap. It pretends to be the witness however it's just a more subtle and benign version of ego/Ahamkara. I suppose it's a self-preservation mechanism.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:25 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedust
There is no terminology or words that are perfect. When talking to those using words, no words are correct. What brings it alive is knowing the truth.

Question: My question is: How to find the way to one's own Being?

Nisargadatta: Give up all questions except one: "Who am l?" After all, the only fact you are sure of is that you are. The "I am" is certain. The "I am this" is not. Struggle to find out what you are in reality.

You put it perfectly: "The way to one's own Being"; this is in fact represents the whole totality of what I say all over my posts. Like this is the greatest journey ever, all the outside journeys are nice but this one is the greatest of all.

I asked exactly the same question in my dreams with the school, I am always left wondering how I am basically walking on the steps that the masters and the teachers have walked.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:29 PM
Master

Quote:
It was probably just my erroneous interpretation of "finding". I think in terms of "realizing".

It truly is indescribable, Ineffable, so I don't even like to use "I Am" because that's a tendency of Ahamkara to label, identify, objectify.

There's also a very subtle meditator's ego and it leads to the observer trap. It pretends to be the witness however it's just a more subtle and benign version of ego/Ahamkara. I suppose it's a self-preservation mechanism.

No, no, it's my fault, english is not my native language and sometimes I make something sound different than what I really mean. I should start be more clear, I know people read our conversations and can actually use this in their own lives.

The simpler the better.

Yes, it is... I am glad you have realised this too!! So glad!!!!! It makes me very happy when people come to know this for themselves!

Interesting, this is what I say, set aside everything that you are, just one thing left keeps you away from that which always is there.