Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 13-02-2021, 10:55 AM
Master
Nearby the Temple of the Emerald Buddha is a market that sells Amulets. In that market, I have had a lot of experiences.

One time, I was approached by a tall 'National' who was taller then me which was amazing to see. He was dressed as a person from the 'North' and he had a Lion's hide to sell me. The hide in of itself was a strange item to be selling to anybody especially to a foreigner. But then, I resonate with a special group of monks who live in caves. Those monks are typically portrayed in statues as looking like spacemen with ruby red eyes. In non-statue form, they wear lion skins! I have always wondered, "Did he know?"

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 13-02-2021, 01:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Seeing the Emerald Buddha was always a treat. Seeing foreigners disrespect the Buddha by pointing their feet at the statue and also trying to take pictures and/or videos even after being told not to, was something that amazed me. But the issues generally began before the visitors entered the grounds when they were told that their clothing was inappropriate.

The "pointing their feet" point triggered a memory about the Sufi mystic Bayezid who was once in the public square with his feet pointing towards the mosque.

When the expected criticism quickly surfaced, he asked the people to reposition his feet in a direction that did not point to God.
Old 13-02-2021, 02:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
The "pointing their feet" point triggered a memory about the Sufi mystic Bayezid who was once in the public square with his feet pointing towards the mosque.

When the expected criticism quickly surfaced, he asked the people to reposition his feet in a direction that did not point to God.

I was amazed when I noticed that Buddhists find it as objectable as Muslims do, when some one points their feet at another person and/or sacred/holy item.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 13-02-2021, 02:22 PM
Master
In Buddhist predominate countries, something Buddhists do not like is having their head patted. That is not allowed even with children.

Old 14-02-2021, 11:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters

If Buddha was alive today I'm sure He would laugh at all these customs that have been integrated into Buddhism they totally go against what He taught

" Those who made offerings of flowers, scents and incense to me are not really paying me homage. Only those who practice the Dhamma are the ones who truly pay homage to me."

Dhammapada Verse 364
Old 14-02-2021, 02:34 PM
Master
What does that scripture relate to what we are talking about?

Old 14-02-2021, 02:36 PM
Master
Do you believe pointing your feet at another person, etc., is appropriate when some people consider it offensive ?

Old 14-02-2021, 03:54 PM
Master
Quote:
What does that scripture relate to what we are talking about?

I'll leave that for you to decide....
Old 14-02-2021, 03:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Do you believe pointing your feet at another person, etc., is appropriate when some people consider it offensive ?

Every step I take points to something and if people are in front of me there's very little I can do
Old 14-02-2021, 07:58 PM
Master
Quote:
I was amazed when I noticed that Buddhists find it as objectable as Muslims do, when some one points their feet at another person and/or sacred/holy item.

I had not known that about the Buddhists either ... until you mentioned it.