Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Divination

Old 25-03-2011, 03:18 AM
nightowl

Divination Methods

How many of these have you heard of or have tried yourself?

Divination Methods
Written by Bridgett G

Aeromancy- Divination through the interpretation of clouds, the paths of comets, the currents of wind, or other aerial occurrences.

Apantomancy- Observation of omens based on meetings with animals.

Astragalomancy-The throwing of like objects in similar size and interpretation of the future based on their landing.

Astrology- Character analysis and prediction of destiny based on the positions of planetary alignment at birth.

Augury- Divination through the flight, pecking, or call of birds.

Bibliomancy- Searching for insight, prescience, and wisdom by opening a random page to a religious or spiritual book, reading the first passage, and determining its relevance to the current issue and its deeper meaning.

Botanomancy- Burning Vervain and Brier braches in order to divine the future, past, and present.

Capnomancy- Interpreting the smoke rising from a fire after jasmine and poppy seeds has been added.

Cartomancy- The use of tarot cards to read the future, past, and present.

Ceraunoscopy- The use of the winds to determine the answer to a question. (Take a bowl with answers written on small pieces of paper placed faced down within it and let the wind turn over the answer.)

Ceromancy- Divination through the interpretation of melted wax pored into cold water slowly. Similar to tea leaf reading.

Cheromancy- Divination using lots of small flat objects with markings on them, which are thrown onto a surface. The pattern in which they land is then interpreted.

Chiromancy- The reading of the lines on the palm and wrist.

Critomancy- The practice of casting a hand full of barely flour or the flour from an offering cake on a flat surface for the purpose of divination.

Dactylomancy- Divination using a ring strung on thread, which is used in the same manner as a pendulum. Seven different rings are used according to the corresponding days of the week and/or nature of the question and the seven planetary associations.

Dowsing- Finding an object using a pendulum or forked divination stick.

Geomancy- The interpretation of the pattern in which soil falls after it is cast into a nine foot circle.

Haruspicey- The examination of the entrails of sacrificial animals in order to foresee future events.

Horoscopy- Omen observation using planetary alignment.

Hydromancy- The observation of running water in search of omens.

Leranomancy- Divination using the sounds a stone makes as it is dropped into water.

Lychomancy- Divination using candle flames.

Ovomancy- The divination using eggs. (Folk or Gypsy Tradition)

Pendulum- A weighted object attached to a string, which is used to find an object/person, or answer a “yes” or “no” question.

Pessomancy- Divination through the interpretation of stone or pebbles on a stream bed.

Pyromancy- Foretelling future, past, or present events using the quality, color, and strength of a fire burning on wood and by throwing twigs, incense, or dried herbs onto the flame. (Negative answers are dark and smoky, and the fire will be hard to light. If the answer is positive, the fire will be easy to ignite and burn in the form of a pyramid.)

Rune Casting- Casting stones with markings onto a flat surface in order to divine.

Scrying- Gazing into a black mirror, crystal ball, or bowl of water to divine the future.

Selenomancy- Folk divination using the shape, color, and phases of the moon.

Spodomancy- Interpreting what is seen in ambers or ashes of a fire.

Tasseography- Using a cup of tea drunken to divine the querent’s future.
Old 25-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Uhmar

abacomancy....sand
alomancy...salt
aeromancy...cloud scry
astraglomancy...druid sticks, dice, picture story cubes,ribbons
bibliomancy...bibles or religious texts
stichomancy....poems or wise sayings or inspirationsal words
cartomancy...tarot....mah jong cards , dominoe cards, playig cards, sibilla cards, oracle cards,
cleromancy...dominoes.dice
conchomancy...seashells
lychomancy...cande flame
pendulum
pyromancy
crystal bowl..have tried nto much success
spodomancy....
tasseography...tea leaves
ceromancy...wax melted
cheromancy...runes, dice, mah jong tiles, dominoes,
chiromancy..only my own
geomancy...reading sand or salt
Old 25-03-2011, 06:14 PM
nightowl

Wow, You have tried quite a few...I never even heard of some of these I was kind of surprised there were so many.

My grandmother use to read the moon and the smoke and signs of the animals.

It is interesting to know they are out there though.
Old 25-03-2011, 06:45 PM
NatanEpsilon

I use Astrology and I Ching.
I Ching is an Advice oracle without predetermination. It gives me really insightful thoughts of which I can reflect my question. It deepen the viewpoint toward some problem of which I'm asking.
I use Astrology for self-development. For developing my character in the first place. But Astrology is a wonderful thing which teaches you how to use the principle of Time in this Universe and how to align your life with the Planetary bodies who are constantly moving and move the Time with them.
I'm a beginner in Tarot studies but I use it as an insightful tool, much similar to that of I Ching. I have a correspondences table so I mix this 3 'bags' in my reading.
Old 25-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Ascender

Astrology is a big part of my life so I use that everyday. I want to try cartomancy soon. I really want some tarot cards! I have heard of a lot and a lot are so left field lol. I also want to try geomancy.
Old 25-03-2011, 06:57 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatanEpsilon
I use Astrology and I Ching.
I Ching is an Advice oracle without predetermination. It gives me really insightful thoughts of which I can reflect my question. It deepen the viewpoint toward some problem of which I'm asking.
I use Astrology for self-development. For developing my character in the first place. But Astrology is a wonderful thing which teaches you how to use the principle of Time in this Universe and how to align your life with the Planetary bodies who are constantly moving and move the Time with them.
I'm a beginner in Tarot studies but I use it as an insightful tool, much similar to that of I Ching. I have a correspondences table so I mix this 3 'bags' in my reading.

This is an interesting mix. I truely believe that this is how personal spirituality works...at least for me. It is finding those things that speak to you and combining them into a method/practice that really enhances your own spiritual DNA.

I pretty much don't get into a lot of the astrology stuff, I am not all that great at math, so having to calculate things is more frustrating for me then benefical. I do take heed to birth signs but that is about as far as it goes for me with astrology. Thanks for mentioning the I Ching, would that fall into any of the genral catagories mentioned in the list?
Old 25-03-2011, 07:01 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVirgoxoxo
Astrology is a big part of my life so I use that everyday. I want to try cartomancy soon. I really want some tarot cards! I have heard of a lot and a lot are so left field lol. I also want to try geomancy.

That is neat that you want to try some new methods. Geomancy is definitly a more earth based method. I would be interested to hear how it goes. Have you thought about which cards you are going to try first?
Old 31-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Ascender

nightowl, look up your birth chart! I'm sure you'll be able to understand more than sun signs.
I love divination and I've really been getting into it lately. I got some Gypsy tarot cards and I'm using an online course. It's awesome!
Old 31-03-2011, 11:11 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVirgoxoxo
nightowl, look up your birth chart! I'm sure you'll be able to understand more than sun signs.
I love divination and I've really been getting into it lately. I got some Gypsy tarot cards and I'm using an online course. It's awesome!

hheeeheee LadyVirgoxoxo, I was just looking up gypsy stuff last night Is the birth chart based on the lunar calendar?
Old 31-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Ascender

For some reason I'm so drawn to gypsies, have so ever since I was little!
I don't believe it's based on the lunar calendar. If you get a Chinese birth chart it might be.