Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Islam Faith

Old 07-07-2021, 05:48 PM
Master
Pir Vilayat Khan on the Sufi View of Reality

Below is a link to a 58-minute audio/video (available on YouTube) by the Sufi master, Pir Vilayat Khan, under whom I once studied, on the nature of the Reality. It is presented in Sufi/Islamic terminology with parallel references to Hindu terminology equivalents with some references to other religions as well. Although it goes very deep, it is also very understandable.

If this resonates, then I would recommend the book, "The Message in our Time" by Pir Vilayat Khan about his father, the Sufi Mystic Hazrat Inayat Khan. That book is one of my favorites even today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC0TD_g29GU

EDIT: Below is the link to the book, "The Message In Our Time", as mentioned above in my post.

https://www.amazon.com/Message-Our-T.../dp/0930872045
Old 07-07-2021, 10:41 PM
Thumbs up

Omg, I don't know what to say - I am at 8 minutes in...he is wonderful...he has a way of phrasing things
that is just a hair clearer and different than some people (zorkchop had this knack)...
and very casually relaxed saying such wisdom.
Very exciting to listen to him!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 08-07-2021, 12:19 AM
Master
EXCERPT 2 QUOTE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Omg, I don't know what to say - I am at 8 minutes in...he is wonderful...he has a way of phrasing things
that is just a hair clearer and different than some people

I'm glad that you liked what you have heard thus far. I studied under Pir Vilayat Khan many years ago and I sent this link to several of my friends whom I thought would appreciate it. I loved the way he explained things and answered questions in person.

There was one unforgettable incident involving him that happened at "The Abode" when I was there watching him like a hawk as I often did when I "evaluated" spiritual masters. There was a young kid (perhaps 7 years old or so) dancing for him and, when the kid danced to one side without looking, he accidentally stepped on a stringed instrument. I saw the pained look on Pir's face as some one near me remarked, "That was his favorite instrument". The kid started to cry uncontrollably when he saw what he had done and Pir's facial expression changed instantly. He looked at the kid and gently said something to the effect: "Don't worry about that instrument. It's just an old one. It doesn't matter." The kid was immediately relieved and started smiling again.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:32 AM
somoo

Some Sufis are people of goodness and merit as the concept of Sufism to them is asceticism with regard to worldly pleasures and devotion to good doing in preparation for the Hereafter. There are other Sufis, however, who follow religious innovations and myths, and some even fall into polytheism and deviation; may Allah safeguard us.

Indeed beliefs collide mainly with the essence of Islam ..
We must warn them because they are against the teachings of Islam

Later on, Sufism became a mixture of various innovations and exaggerations. Many forbidden ideologies of philosophers found their ways into it, such as pantheism, immanentism and atheism, which assert that one becomes free from following Islam (i.e., not obligated by it) after reaching a prescribed stage. There is no doubt that contemporary Sufism contains many deviations such as exaggerating the status of Shaykhs and the pious and worshipping tombs and graves by making sacrifices therein and supplication and circumambulation. The Sufis worship the inhabitants of these by asking for their help and support, and this is major Shirk (polytheism) and

Allaah never forgives this kind of Shirk. Moreover, they adhere to many invented supplications and celebrate the birthday of the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) and others. Pantheism and immanentism still exist in many groups of Sufis.

Allaah Knows best.

https://www.islamweb.org/en/fatwa/82017/what-is-sufism

Is Sufism a part of Islam? - Q&A - Abdur-Raheem Green - ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atKMRZ5snTA

Sufism is Allowed in Islam Answered By Dr Zakir Naik - ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s11lgzpBN4k
Old 08-07-2021, 01:36 PM
Master
Somoo,

Thank you for your input.

I am wondering if you listened to any of the audio/video and, if so, what were your impressions?
Old 06-04-2022, 09:51 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters

I am wondering if you listened to any of the audio/video and, if so, what were your impressions?

I listened to the audio and found him so easy to listen to, I was thoroughly engaged and quite alot of it made sense to me , I have read alot on meditation from hindu perspective but it great to hear from the Sufi perspective.
I am greatly interested in meditation and sounds (both in & outside of meditation) and how it affects us. Thank you for posting. I have saved that to my Youtube and will re listen and play some others when I catch a break. As a side note i got a blast of bliss about 5 mins from the end.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:30 PM
Master
QUOTE 6 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cally31
I listened to the audio and found him so easy to listen to, I was thoroughly engaged and quite alot of it made sense to me , I have read alot on meditation from hindu perspective but it great to hear from the Sufi perspective.

I am greatly interested in meditation and sounds (both in & outside of meditation) and how it affects us.

My primary spiritual mentor for over 30 years was a Hindu Mahamandeleshvara so, like yourself, I am very familiar with meditation from a Hindu perspective. As a matter of fact, I wrote the introduction to my teacher's book on the various meditation techniques.

The Sufi perspective on Reality, as expressed by Pir Vilayat Khan in the audio/video, is essentially consistent with my own view and the Hindu view as well albeit with different terminology.

I am glad that you enjoyed the talk and that you found it helpful.