Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 02:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob
EXCERPT -But all this stuff belongs in a thread which looks at Spiritualism in general, its pioneers and its emergence in the 19th century and near-disappearance in the new millennium.
Maybe time for you to start a new thread for such a conversation, BJ?
Maybe I should ask the Moderators to move this thread to the GENERAL RELIGION Forum.
I personally feel it should stay in this Forum but its presence seems to be upsetting to the point I think it would be better if it was somewhere else.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Maybe I should ask the Moderators to move this thread to the GENERAL RELIGION Forum.
I personally feel it should stay in this Forum but its presence seems
to be upsetting to the point I think it would be better if it was somewhere else.
All the discussion on these 2 is just fine.
bobjob, I luvya...but, this thread does not need to be so regimented.
People can chat a bit - it's all on topic in one way or another.
Have a cuppa.

I have many people ask me what Acupuncture is - I always say, 'I can only tell you from MY perspective ---
an Acupuncturist would tell you the right thing!' :)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 03-06-2021, 03:16 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
The title of this thread is SPIRITIST OR SPIRITUALIST which is in of it self comparing two religions.
Would you not agree?

no - It's comparing people's approach.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:27 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
All the discussion on these 2 is just fine.
bobjob, I luvya...but, this thread does not need to be so regimented.
People can chat a bit - it's all on topic in one way or another.

So asking folk to stay on topic is being regimented? I had always thought that's what we're supposed to do. Guess I've got it wrong, eh?
Old 03-06-2021, 03:30 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
I personally feel it should stay in this Forum but its presence seems to be upsetting to the point I think it would be better if it was somewhere else.

Perhaps the side-discussions would be better in a thread that considers the emergence and development of Spiritism and Spiritualism and their relationships to other forms of religion.

Oh, that's what was being suggested above - well why not? Plainly the historical aspects have more appeal than anything else. Big John has made a great suggestion!
Old 03-06-2021, 04:10 PM
Regimented: 'very strictly organized or controlled'

That's right. This thread does not have to be THAT controlled...all the chats are about S and S.
If we missed a couple - so what, it happens for a minute on every topic.

Enough.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 03-06-2021, 04:30 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Spiritism is very big in Brazil, and Brazil may even have the highest percentage of Spiritists than in any other country in the world. The group that I attend (though somewhat irregularly) is primarily Brazilian ... but I attend the English-speaking sessions.

http://www.abpbrasil.org.br/historia...st_madness.pdf

EXCERPT:
Spiritism is widely accepted in Brazil and influences psychiatric practice,especially through religious-oriented hospitals.

Still waters,

Very interesting for me. I am married to a Brazilian and have been there numerous times and had firsthand experience with spiritists. Many people utilize the help of spiritists , seeing them as effective and insightful counselors. Her family are serious Catholics but are comfortable with seeking consultation with spiritists. In their case it is on a needed basis not any interaction with an organized group. Without understanding Portuguese I have been prayed for and witnessed prayers for others and have felt the comfort in a personal way. My personal experience was from a woman who appeared to be living in relative poverty. One of the family members with more acute problems used a counselor with more of a psychiatric nature and a little more formal structure in regards to compensation.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:58 PM
Molearner

A little more detail to my posting: my wife’s daughter asked the more formal spiritists for readings on individual family members including me. This was without any of us(excepting the daughter) having any contact with the reader. The daughter only identified us as family members without any elaboration regarding us. The readings rang true...almost every in their accuracy.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:00 PM
Molearner

Eerie not ‘every’...I hate it when iPad tries to correct me....:)
Old 03-06-2021, 07:38 PM
Master
I am elated that some people are aware of Spiritism. Spiritism does seem to have 'pockets' of followers.

Spiritism was founded by Allan Kardec when he was in his mid 40's. Whereas Modern Day Spiritualism is attributed to the Fox sisters. This dealt with rappings.

Unbeknown to the Fox family, that house they were renting, as their house was being built, had already experienced rappings by Lucretia Pulver, a servant girl about 15 years old who worked for the Bell family in that house during the years 1843 and 1844. It was a peddler who visited that family during that time period and shortly disappeared is attributed to be the spirit that was causing the rappings.

This event preceded the Fox sisters by about 4 years, give or take.

After the Bell family moved from that house, the Weekman family moved in. Mr. Weekman heard rappings. They eventually moved and the Fox family moved in. By mid March of 1848, both Mr. and Mrs. Fox had heard rappings in the house.

as March 31, 1848 came, a startling event occurred early that morning. Andrew Jackson Davis received from spirit the following message:
“Brother, the Good Work has begun. Behold! A Living Demonstration is born.” Later that night, the events unfold revolving the Fox sisters and that spirit called Mr. Splitfoot.

One common denominator between Spiritualists and Spiritists is that they were originally abolitionists.

As for Spiritualists, they were fueled by Quakers who promoted their cause. Some predominate Quakers were Amy and Isaac Post.

As for Spiritists, Allan Kardec was already an abolitionist.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Closed Thread