Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 01-05-2020, 04:07 PM
Master

Problematic Mind.

We know that holograms operate on the level of vision only (at the current level of the tech), which is why we cant put our hand through the kitchen table. It would not be surprising if mind had the capacity to generate the manifestation as a hologram (illusory solidity=Maya) operating on the level of ALL the senses. Have others resonated with a possible connection betwen holograms and Maya?

In terms of why mind may be regarded as problematic in spiritual circles, it seems that one of its roles is defensive to protect the organism which also involves defending itself (has to be right all the time) when challenged. Another critisism is that it incessantly chatters. This may simply be how it works on problems, like a very fast computer, which can be left to run (sort of in the background). But some have difficulty leaving it like that and instead the chatter dominates. One can see why therefore mind is regarded as problematic by some, and lead to the conclusion that it has to be limited or eliminated by practise for spiritual progress. For those that see the protective function and the chatter as positive, that practise is not necessary and may even be seen as detrimental. Another example as how seekers may vary and why one size does not fit all.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:42 PM
Master

In my view, there is no problem with the instrument of thought unless we stagnate therein, unable to get to thought rested awareness. When the tail wags the dog, we have a problem.

Simply by rotating polarities of thought (grasping doer component vs connecting identity surrendered component), rotating attention between the external ephemeral and the internal eternal, lower & higher aspects of consciousness align.

Not repression or even sublimation but rather simple recognition is all that is needed.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:44 PM
MAYA EL

Maya is your opinion on the world you experience so in other words it's how you understand your experiences that you experience within the same 1 world that we are all in.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:49 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker

In my view, there is no problem with the instrument of thought unless we stagnate therein, unable to get to thought rested awareness. When the tail wags the dog, we have a problem.

Simply by rotating polarities of thought (grasping doer component vs connecting identity surrendered component), rotating attention between the external ephemeral and the internal eternal, lower & higher aspects of consciousness align.

Not repression or even sublimation but rather simple recognition is all that is needed.

I agree and it seems to me once one 'touches' that rested awareness it's much, much easier to intellectually realize its significance and thereby minimize the tail wagging the dog.

Funny you mention rested awareness. This was my gateway and something Jon Kabat-Zinn talked about in a Nour Foundation video titled "Becoming Conscious: The Science of Mindfulness". He was speaking of techniques, one being breathe and then he went on to say one need not have any object of attention whilst practicing meditation. To simply rest in awareness, otherwise known as choiceless awareness or do-nothing meditation. Very, very powerful technique.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
I agree and it seems to me once one 'touches' that rested awareness it's much, much easier to intellectually realize its significance and thereby minimize the tail wagging the dog.

Funny you mention rested awareness. This was my gateway and something Jon Kabat-Zinn talked about in a Nour Foundation video titled "Becoming Conscious: The Science of Mindfulness". He was speaking of techniques, one being breathe and then he went on to say one need not have any object of attention whilst practicing meditation. To simply rest in awareness, otherwise known as choiceless awareness or do-nothing meditation. Very, very powerful technique.

Ah! As Oscar Wilde is said to have said, “I was born too late to be original!” or words to that effect, thought rested awareness is basic. Meditation as opposed to concentration is an effortless flow of attention inwards in dynamic stillness. Initial aids such as breath meditation or chanting ॐ or looking at a candle etc. merely focus attention. Eventually, we must let go of all doership so as to embrace the flow and imbibe the divine energy without thought interference. All well trodden territory of course, although each experience is unique.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:46 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:

Ah! As Oscar Wilde is said to have said, “I was born too late to be original!” or words to that effect, thought rested awareness is basic. Meditation as opposed to concentration is an effortless flow of attention inwards in dynamic stillness. Initial aids such as breath meditation or chanting ॐ or looking at a candle etc. merely focus attention. Eventually, we must let go of all doership so as to embrace the flow and imbibe the divine energy without thought interference. All well trodden territory of course, although each experience is unique.

Yup! There's something called the observer trap and it's part and parcel of meditation techniques involving focused attention, the observer being a more benign version of ego and not the Witness. Choiceless awareness is a path out of that trap. In essence it's what Sadhguru speaks to when he talks about opening up a small space between mind and what you truly are.

And as you said, focused attention has its place. It's hard if not impossible to rest in awareness sans a still and focused mind.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:14 PM
Master
The 'elephant in the room' that's missing in the above conversation (IMO) is the role of emotion (e-energy-pattern-motion) in 'directing' the mind. When one is compulsively e-motionally 'needy' or 'greedy' or 'defensive' or 'offensive', one's mind is 'driven' by said (essentially insatiable in nature) emotions. So one (one's mind) then just 'looks' for and 'works' to 'see' ways in which said e-motions might attain their aim/goal. The more e-motionally conflicted one is, the more 'scattered' and 'confused' one's mind will be/become.

What meditation does - the deliberately focusing one's mind on one mono-tone-al activity (like one's 'breathing' or a repetitive 'mantra) or on a simple/single object (like a candle or) or objective (like wellness) kind of meditation, I mean - is that its 'quiets' one's mind and 'frees' it to range into having visions and experiences (of Life) - like a relaxed sense that Life being is super-wonderful and OK just the way It is without one's having to 'do' anything more - which experience(s) are normally, i.e. habitually, inaccessible to most people because the above referenced e-motions naturally tend to 'run wild' 'in' them.

Relevant quote: "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. The 'light' of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light." (Matthew Ch.6)

Relevant personal account: https://focusingresources.com/2015/0...-blowing-wind/
(please note: I do not know, neither to I mean to personally recommend, the 'counselor' who responded.

Last edited by davidsun : 03-05-2020 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:54 PM
Master
Quote:

Not really, but sounds nice.