Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Ayurveda

Old 14-02-2014, 10:07 AM
nicholaswalkfree

Modern vs Traditional Ayurvedic Practice

Nowadays many Ayurvedic practitioners will type you (say, as being "Pitta") and give you a list of foods that are beneficial for you, negative for you, etc. I was speaking with somebody recently who said that this is not in the spirit of what Ayurveda was created for. She said that a true practitioner will never write a list down, rather she will tell you verbally what you need. Why? Because your body is always changing, and its needs change with the weeks and months and seasons. What is true now could change soon, in which case you would not be paying attention to what you body really needs, and rather be following a list as your health bible. I don't know much about Ayurveda but this rang true with me. I'm curious to know what others who are more acquainted with Ayurveda feel about this.

Thanks!

Nicholas
Old 08-09-2014, 04:42 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaswalkfree
Nowadays many Ayurvedic practitioners will type you (say, as being "Pitta") and give you a list of foods that are beneficial for you, negative for you, etc. I was speaking with somebody recently who said that this is not in the spirit of what Ayurveda was created for. She said that a true practitioner will never write a list down, rather she will tell you verbally what you need. Why? Because your body is always changing, and its needs change with the weeks and months and seasons. What is true now could change soon, in which case you would not be paying attention to what you body really needs, and rather be following a list as your health bible. I don't know much about Ayurveda but this rang true with me. I'm curious to know what others who are more acquainted with Ayurveda feel about this.

Thanks!

Nicholas
Hi Nicholas,

I don't know Ayurveda per se, but based on my understanding of traditional chinese medicince (TCM), there are traditional and modern TCM as well.

Modern ones seem not as effective. Part of it the quality of the practitioner, not the quality of the healing modality.

W.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Prasant K

You are quite right. The body is always changing and its needs vary accordingly. Moreover, it's not easy to classify a person as just belonging to one dosha. Most people are a combination of doshas, and must be treated accordingly. We like to have our patients spend a duration of time with us, during which we treat them and alter their treatment accordingly. We also prescribe an ayurvedic diet for our patients to follow.
Old 30-07-2018, 06:04 AM
Experiencer

I think you need to listen to your body and mind.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:48 AM
Newbie ;)

Modern vs Traditional Ayurvedic Practice

Tashi delek, Chandresh,

Im very interested in massage of all types. There is no information in this post, would you please give some information on Ayurvedic massage?

Thank you, and Namaste.
Old 30-09-2019, 03:19 AM
Newbie ;)

ayurvedic practice

Ayurveda is a system of medicine with historical roots in the Indian subcontinent. Globalized and modernized practices derived from Ayurveda traditions are a ... medicine" redirects here. For modern Indian medicine, see Healthcare in India. laboratory experiments suggest it is possible that some substances used in Ayurveda might be developed into effective treatments, there is no scientific evidence that any are effective as currently practiced. Ayurveda medicine is considered pseudoscientific.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:31 AM
Newbie ;)

Sadly, however, the original concept of Ayurveda as a system of Yoga was unable to be reintroduced in its original form.

This is because traditionally, the system was based on the Gurukulam or Hermitage where young students lived and studied with the teacher and family as a student and child of that family.

The fundamental practice and line of study was spirituality based on Sanatana Dharma (eternal truth or Hinduism).