Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 31-07-2021, 12:35 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Why does the Jewish Encyclopedia list Elohim as one of the names of God?

You can find it here:

https://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/a...5-names-of-god

I don't see where it says that so could you quote an excerpt? What I see is that it says the Masorites used the name YHWH with the vowels from Elohim. Like was used with the Greek Adonai.
Old 31-07-2021, 12:38 AM
Knower
Quote:
The same Jewish Encyclopedia claims the name Jehovah is "A mispronunciation (introduced by Christian theologians".

Well, that's just nonsense. If they say that they are wrong. To make that assumption is problematic because it would dictate all Hebrew names translated were likewise mispronunciations and it would also make the incorrect assumption that they were aware of the correct pronunciation.

Last edited by DavidHenson : 31-07-2021 at 01:22 AM.
Old 31-07-2021, 12:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHenson
Well, that's just nonsense. If they say that they are wrong. To make that assumption is problematic because it would dictate all Hebrew names were likewise mispronunciations and it would also make the incorrect assumption that they were aware of the correct pronunciation.

The usage of the name, sometimes translated as Yahweh......

from Genesis 2:9 יְהוָ֤ה

from Genesis 2:15 יְהוָ֥ה

from Genesis 2:16 יְהוָ֣ה

As you can see, there are slight variations in the spelling of each word. I suspect your transaltion of the Bible is based on the Masoretic Text. If I am right, why doesn't your translation speak of those variations?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 31-07-2021, 12:54 AM
Master
Quote:
I don't see where it says that so could you quote an excerpt? What I see is that it says the Masorites used the name YHWH with the vowels from Elohim. Like was used with the Greek Adonai.

They have a sub-heading for the name of God called ELOHIM.
It starts off by saying

"Elohim.
The most common of the originally appellative names of God is Elohim (), plural in form though commonly construed with a singular verb or adjective."

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 31-07-2021, 12:54 AM
Knower
Quote:
If you look at the Masoretic Text, people can come up with how the name was pronounced.

I don't see how you could come to that conclusion when it was the intention of the Masorites to conceal the name in the first place. Did they leave a code?

As for the inconsistent spelling which you refer to how is a word spelled differently the same word? I'm trying to think of an English example of that.

There. Their. Different words that sound the same. So you are suggesting spelling variations of these words imply what? Pronunciation? There and their sound the same, are spelled different but have different meanings. A personal name doesn't do that so ... do you have to erroneously conclude that the words for god or lord are the names that do this or is it the actual name Yahweh (YHWH) that are spelled differently, OR is it stylistic, for example, you mention location. Location of what? The word? The age? The geographic location?

Quote:
This may have been one reason why people stopped using the name even though it is in the Hebrew text.

No. People stopped using the name due to a superstitious fear that the name was too sacred to be pronounced by the common people. That they would profane it like they profane everything. It wasn't their call. (Jeremiah 23:27)
Old 31-07-2021, 12:57 AM
Master
When you read the first verse in the Bible, it says "God created the Heaven(s) and the Earth." When I see that, I automaticlly read it as [color="Red"] "Elohim created the Heaven(s) and the Earth."

From Genesis 1:1 to Genesis 2:3, the only deity is spoken of is Elohim.

Old 31-07-2021, 01:05 AM
Knower
Quote:
"Elohim.
The most common of the originally appellative names of God is Elohim (), plural in form though commonly construed with a singular verb or adjective."

Well, that is correct. An appellative name is what I was explaining when I mentioned my hairy baby sister. Esau. See definition here.

So we call Jehovah God. But Jehovah called Moses God. (Exodus 4:16; 7:1) What that appellative name means is that the person, Jehovah or Moses, would be godlike, divine, a God, or the God. To Aaron and Pharaoh.

Like Paul said, there are many gods and many lords but to us there is only one God and one Lord. (1 Corinthians 8:5)

God and Lord are words. Titles like man and woman. King and Prince. President, Prime Minister. Dagon is a god. To worshippers of Dagon Dagon is God. Not Jehovah. To the Jews and Christians Jehovah, not Dagon is God, but Dagon is a god.

So, God, Lord i.e. Elohim, El, and it's many variants are appellative names but Jehovah, Moses are proper names the same as hairy, baby Gorilla girl is an appellative name and Susan is a proper name.

Let's not talk any more about my sister though. She grew out of that over time. The hairy coat and thumbless mit. Some of the more aggressive behavioral aspects of the species she managed to keep so . . . yeah. Let's just move on quickly.
Old 31-07-2021, 01:07 AM
Master
Quote:

EXCERPT

I don't see how you could come to that conclusion when it was the intention of the Masorites to conceal the name in the first place. Did they leave a code?

Look at the example I previously mentioned. Everything is provided so a person can pronounce the word.

Here is the first example I provided: from Genesis 2:9 יְהוָ֤ה

If you noticed, niqquds, cantillations, d'geshims, etc. are provided so the word can be pronounced.

Old 31-07-2021, 01:11 AM
Master
Quote:

EXCERPT

So we call Jehovah God.

I believe the first expression of both words is expressed as God Jehovah. I can almost predict when Jehovah God or the expression God Jehovah will be used. To me, it is uncanny.

Why in the first creation account, only Elohim is used?

Old 31-07-2021, 01:13 AM
Master
Quote:

God and Lord are words. Titles like man and woman.

If the expression is LORD in most Bibles, it will pronounced in Hebrew something like Yahweh.

If the expression is God in most Bibles, it will pronounced in Hebrew something like Elohim.