Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 13-04-2014, 02:26 AM
bartholomew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazulu
In a country where atheism squeezes out religion, what happens to values? What happens to honor, integrity, virtue, modesty and loyalty when belief in God is discouraged? What about respect for others? What about culture? It seems to me that atheism has destroyed American culture. In a world dominated by atheism, nothing is sacred; not your body, not your values, nothing. Everything is reduced to money, sex and power.

Atheism may replace religion but it never erases the spark of divinity which is in us all. So long as this is present (and it cannot be removed) the proper values will be there. Honor, integrity, virtue, modesty and loyalty are nothing to do with religion after all but are undenialbe attributes of the created essentials of humanity. We are OF God. Nothing can change that. Whether religion is present or not is quite a separate issue.
Old 13-04-2014, 03:23 AM
Mazulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartholomew

Atheism may replace religion but it never erases the spark of divinity which is in us all. So long as this is present (and it cannot be removed) the proper values will be there. Honor, integrity, virtue, modesty and loyalty are nothing to do with religion after all but are undenialbe attributes of the created essentials of humanity. We are OF God. Nothing can change that. Whether religion is present or not is quite a separate issue.

Fair enough. But I still do like religion.
Old 25-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Experiencer

This is why I am anti-religion, because these questions shouldnt happen (no offense)
Old 25-04-2014, 03:12 AM
bartholomew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenriggs
This is why I am anti-religion, because these questions shouldnt happen (no offense)

Refresh my memory. What questions do you refer to?
Old 26-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Lorelyen

The values that religions try to peddle are often in conflict and hypocritical. Non-violence and peace are good examples. Since the various priesthoods claim to lead an individual's spirituality it seems risible that they should do this with wars, inquisitions and with tactical famine thanks to an anti-contraceptive stance, etc. These values are NOT of course, necessarily, the teachings of their founders but the distortions introduced by followers spotting an opportunity to seize power. In origin it was quite easy, initiates using fear of the unknown to captivate followers. It has allowed zillions of people to be conned into going through a drudge on earth in the promise of hope for a better time thereafter, if they can be "saved". Saved from what?

I'd suggest that atheists might cultivate healthier values since they come from the heart, from having to live among people with their foibles, and living in the present. Atheists are in charge of their own conscience. There's no praying to God or popping in for a confession to make them feel better about their "sins". You won't find many atheists condemning contraception in famine and STD-ridden countries with the attendant suffering to children; you won't find many condemning others' doctrinaire. And there's nothing to stop an atheist living according to the teachings of Jesus or some other enlightened person.
Old 26-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Suspended
Inquisitions and anti-contraceptive stance are connected to Catholicism and nothing else. You can't brush all religions with the same kind of general statements..
Old 26-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Lorelyen

Yes, you're right. I was ultimately referring to the Abrahamic and other monotheistic doctrines of which the RCs seem to be the most hypocritical.
Old 28-05-2014, 12:42 AM
elephunky

Atheism is just simply a disbelief in a god. It says nothing about the approach to values, morals, opinions etc. That is up to the individual. I have met a lot of atheists online and in life that seemed to have higher values and morals then their religious friends and vice versa.

A label that explains a religious point of view does not determine how you live your life.
Old 28-05-2014, 01:42 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephunky
Atheism is just simply a disbelief in a god. It says nothing about the approach to values, morals, opinions etc. That is up to the individual. I have met a lot of atheists online and in life that seemed to have higher values and morals then their religious friends and vice versa.

A label that explains a religious point of view does not determine how you live your life.
Well said, and yes this is what I have found throughout life also, religion does not hold the monopoly on morals and values, I just wish they would wake up and realize this for their own good and the good of others.
Old 24-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Sakyadhita

Quote:
We are a highly advanced civilization both technologically and ethically. Civil rights and human rights are championed by many people in ways never seen.

This statement made me choke on my tea! ;) Western culture is profoundly unethical and extremely efficient as a tool for stripping human rights from people and making them say thanks for the task. Maybe I should say western culture is an EXCELLENT conduit for encouraging certain ethics: competition, comparison, otherness, pride/ego, and Jingoism.