Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 13-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Control thoughts or let 'em rip? While meditating.

Because I am well aware of what thoughts can do...where they can take me -
I am a firm believer in some sort of control over thoughts.
Sure, when they come in - laugh at them, push them aside, whatever - but to let them "go freely" for myself is a danger.

A thought could come in between my ears -" How are you going to pay for 'blank'?
'OMG, what I said at that party last week, I could shoot myself!'
'If 'so and so' isn't there tonight I'll freak.'
'God, I can't believe my father did that when I was 7!'

Sometimes a thought comes in that puts a smile in my heart - only to be pushed out by a 'bad' or useless thought...
(Well, not really anymore..)
Why not? because I practice thought control, modification for years.

But, there are those that believe we should be the observer and let 'em fly...
I am not talking about never thinking -
never letting the mind wonder about a creative project or never contemplating a verse or idea -
I'm speaking of sitting in meditation;
the place of stillness, still waters, no ripples on the surface, going past the Mind - to pure awareness - emptying your cup of thoughts to be filled with insights.

Comments?
And thanks.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 13-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Neville

Nearly there Miss Hepburn

Quote:
creative project
may have benefited from being read as creatively project. Getting past the material or mundane into the realms fantastique.
Old 14-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Aquarian

I think suppressing feelings is underrated.

Ideally, you clear them but the only other options are suppressing them, distracting yourself or going postal.

And by going postal I might mean doing some exercise, being artistic etc.

Oh right this is the meditation forum.

Well I clear them but if you can't do that in a few mins without messing up your meditation, this is what I was advised: encapsulate the thought in a bubble and let it drift away. Repeat as necessary.
Old 14-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Shabby

I would suggest not to do anything with them. Instead you could simply look at them and see them for what they are....thoughts.
Old 14-12-2011, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby
I would suggest not to do anything with them. Instead you could simply look at them and see them for what they are....thoughts.
Yes, that's right -just thoughts.

The more I don't give them importance the less they seem to come.

And wrap them in a bubble...

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 14-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Deactivated Account

For myself I find thinking instead of clearing my mind completely REALLY helped me take in alot of idea and understand and to 'be' them, rather then just knowing them.

I do not mean random thought about daily activites, but I sterr my mind toward spiritual topics and let it 'chew' through them.

This way I find my mind accepts them easier without accepting the knowledge then putting it in the garbage slot :0
Old 14-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Stillness_Speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
But, there are those that believe we should be the observer and let 'em fly...

I'm one of those The thing is... when why are trying to control thoughts it seems to work very well, during the meditation... then they come back. Again and again and again. And we get "carried away" by them when there is not enough prescence or in a stressful situation. "Control" is a word that is not really something to recomend in general but it also depends what we mean by control. Push away thoughts? Or gently guide them in another direction? I guess it works differently for everyone but I prefer to practice to be the Observer and in that way learn to detach from thoughts, not control them. There are some thoughts that have much more power, thoughts that are connected to deeply rooted beliefs. Learned responses, many years of programming. These are VERY difficult to control. There is automatic response in the body, the emotional stuff triggers more thoughts of the same kind and so on.
Old 14-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Shabby

If you can see a thought you have the opportunity to realize that you are not that thought but separate from it.

It's like going into a candy store. You see the candy and your mouth starts to water you can already imagine how it's going to taste and you want it....but when you instead of eating it change the focus of your attention let's say onto a Horror show.....where did your desire for sweets go?

It is the focus of attention that gives power to creating your experience.
Old 14-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Rebel*Child

This is good! I have the same problem. Sometimes when I'm focused on my breathing, there is still some random thought drifting across my mind; a song being played, a memory, etc. Either way, my head never really becomes "clear".
Old 14-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Master
I believe in giving them space.
Space to allow them to just pass or space to allow them to look within at their source or space to allow them to be a reminder to you.

James