Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 07-07-2020, 06:26 AM
Just Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
When I used to live over in the Far East, if you visited a store during this holiday, one main item that would be for sale is the robes for monks.

One of my Brother-in-Laws just left being a monk. During this holiday he went and bought 50 robes for new monks.

Oh ! That's a lot of robes.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim here
Oh ! That's a lot of robes.

In Buddhism the amount wouldn't be important, it's the Volition ( Cetana ) that's important. Advertising how many you bought soils your intent and could be seen as ' Ego '.

Something similar in Christianity

But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. ' (Matthew 6:1-4, ESV)
Old 07-07-2020, 08:02 AM
Just Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
In Buddhism the amount wouldn't be important, it's the Volition ( Cetana ) that's important. Advertising how many you bought soils your intent and could be seen as ' Ego '.

Something similar in Christianity

But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. ' (Matthew 6:1-4, ESV)

I really like the fact that you're showing there's an interfaith here.

But the volition is not everything. If someone went to a shelter and gave away clothes, telling they brought a lot, sure it would be a little "less good" of an action. But there's still people who would benefit from those clothes ! And if the person giving away is doing it out of ego, then it's a lesson to learn for them. So everybody would "gain" something in the process !
Old 07-07-2020, 08:17 AM
Master
Quote:

But the volition is not everything. If someone went to a shelter and gave away clothes, telling they brought a lot, sure it would be a little "less good" of an action. But there's still people who would benefit from those clothes ! And if the person giving away is doing it out of ego, then it's a lesson to learn for them. So everybody would "gain" something in the process !

In Buddhism Volition is everything as it is what determines Karma....

' If someone went to a shelter and gave away clothes, telling they brought a lot '

Why do we buy a lot ? If you look at the ' Bigger Picture ' We buy more than we need because of ' Greed '. Attachment to material things causes suffering. My Friend who's a Buddhist Nun has two sets of clothes, one to wear while the others is being washed and dried. Simplicity......
Old 07-07-2020, 11:01 AM
Master
Quote:

Tim,

If you look at what has been written, a casual reader might think my Brother-In-Law is egotistic because he bought and gave away 50 robes. We would not know any of this if my wife had not asked him if he had done anything for Dharma Day. We also were surprised he was no longer a monk.

Surprisingly, most people do not see this as a contrast between Eastern and Western Buddhism as I do.

Some day, I want to become a monk similar to the way my Brother-In_Law became a monk. Being Dharma Day is an Auspicious day, there is a good chance it will happen on that day.

In reflection, I hope you had a Happy Dharma day!

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:20 AM
Just Tim

Quote:
Tim,

If you look at what has been written, a casual reader might think my Brother-In-Law is egotistic because he bought and gave away 50 robes. We would not know any of this if my wife had not asked him if he had done anything for Dharma Day. We also were surprised he was no longer a monk.

Surprisingly, most people do not see this as a contrast between Eastern and Western Buddhism as I do.

Some day, I want to become a monk similar to the way my Brother-In_Law became a monk. Being Dharma Day is an Auspicious day, there is a good chance it will happen on that day.

In reflection, I hope you had a Happy Dharma day!

Oh ! Well no, indeed I did not see things that way.

It was a happy day yes ! Thank you
Old 08-07-2020, 11:04 AM
Master
MERIT DOING.

Doing Merit on Special Holidays is very prevelent In Thailand and was introduced in Buddhism to counteract Ancestor Worship.... Give to the Living rather than the dead. When you look at the concept of ' Praying for the souls in Purgatory ' which some Christian Denominations practice you can see similarities, they all involve giving to receive, rather than giving out of love/respect without expecting something in return.

Then we have the Dana Sutta....

As he was sitting there, he said to the Blessed One: "Might there be the case where a person gives a gift of a certain sort and it does not bear great fruit or great benefit, whereas another person gives a gift of the same sort and it bears great fruit and great benefit?"

"Yes, Sariputta, there would be the case where a person gives a gift of a certain sort and it does not bear great fruit or great benefit, whereas another person gives a gift of the same sort and it bears great fruit and great benefit."

"Lord, what is the cause, what is the reason, why a person gives a gift of a certain sort and it does not bear great fruit or great benefit, whereas another person gives a gift of the same sort and it bears great fruit and great benefit?"

"Sariputta, there is the case where a person gives a gift seeking his own profit, with a mind attached [to the reward], seeking to store up for himself [with the thought], 'I'll enjoy this after death.' He gives his gift — food, drink, clothing, a vehicle; a garland, perfume, & ointment; bedding, shelter, & a lamp — to a brahman or a contemplative. What do you think, Sariputta? Might a person give such a gift as this?" Etc.....

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....049.than.html

In Christianity....
Give without expecting anything in return....
Old 09-07-2020, 02:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Oh ! Well no, indeed I did not see things that way.

It was a happy day yes ! Thank you

I saw that holiday the same way you did.

I really enjoy that holiday.......

As we were about to go to bed that night, my wife told me her brother is no longer a monk. He was a monk for almost 4 years. Before becoming a monk, he used to hold a high ranking position.

He had direct contact with the Monarch. There were times he secretly would pick up my wife and they would go to the Palace. Numerous times she read her cards to the Queen. Several of those times, the Queen asked her to bring me along on the next visit. I always 'chickened out'. Same thing happened when we could have seen the Dalai Lama for free. My wife went and I reluctantly stayed home.

Knowing this about her brother, we were surprised but then in another way, not surprised that he became a monk.

One of the next ones to become a monk probably is me............

I can do the 7 days...... maybe even 10 days.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:51 AM
Just Tim

Quote:

I saw that holiday the same way you did.

I really enjoy that holiday.......

As we were about to go to bed that night, my wife told me her brother is no longer a monk. He was a monk for almost 4 years. Before becoming a monk, he used to hold a high ranking position.

He had direct contact with the Monarch. There were times he secretly would pick up my wife and they would go to the Palace. Numerous times she read her cards to the Queen. Several of those times, the Queen asked her to bring me along on the next visit. I always 'chickened out'. Same thing happened when we could have seen the Dalai Lama for free. My wife went and I reluctantly stayed home.

Knowing this about her brother, we were surprised but then in another way, not surprised that he became a monk.

One of the next ones to become a monk probably is me............

I can do the 7 days...... maybe even 10 days.

Why were you and your wife scared ? Although I understand one could be intimidated in a way.

7 or 10 days is already very impressive ! But I guess it depends on the viewer's eyes.

You should try if it is your soul's call, but maybe don't engage in the 101st day without being sure. Or engage in it knowing what you are ready to give, you may very well succeed too !
Old 09-07-2020, 10:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Why were you and your wife scared ? Although I understand one could be intimidated in a way.

7 or 10 days is already very impressive ! But I guess it depends on the viewer's eyes.

You should try if it is your soul's call, but maybe don't engage in the 101st day without being sure. Or engage in it knowing what you are ready to give, you may very well succeed too !
Seeing the Queen would mean I would have to buy a suit, etc., something I was not ready to do.

As for seeing the Dali Lama: the free tickets are typically reserved for monks and nuns. Being my wife was once a nun, she got the free ticket automatically. The monks believed I should get a free ticket but I looked at it differently.