Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #171  
Old 09-01-2021, 04:12 PM
HITESH SHAH HITESH SHAH is offline
Ascender
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 852
 
interfaith

what is interfaith
Interfaith is
not random mixture of different faith
not negation of one's own faith
is an effort to find commonalities with others and promote harmony ,peace
should not be an effort to create walls , it should be an effort to create bridges
should increase faith , should promote scientific thought , discourage superstitious behavior,increase positive co-operation , energize people to activity , provide relief and hope to distressed , help create holistically better society
Need for interfaith
Many society are multi-faith and their constitutions are faith neutral . Equality of each faith/tradition before law is a wonderful thing . However in reality , it also results in absence of or neglect of faith in peoples individual lives. In many cases it does create lot other problems in relationships/professions/occupations/governance /finances etc. Interfaith in such cases help people re-discover their own faith . Of course existing mechanisms of each faith can and should continue as it is in this directions .
This forum definitely does try to fulfill this role in its unique way .

Technological progress, political revolution and economic prosperity has created an unprecedented democracy in each area of life (including spirituality / religion) . Inter-faith learnings can exhort faith leaders and practitioners to incorporate scientific / intellectual part of life in the faith's practices and rituals .

Further many a mono-religion societies do get into unscientific patterns . Inter-faith inspirations can help even these societies improve their structures and practices as well.

Finally spirituality is core part of life (as Gem told and its fact that spirit is there even when man is not thinking or aware about it .) . If anything like this help improve this core part , its definitely better. Documenting these core teachings for self and posterity is an important obligation for current generations.

Argument that religion has created problems in the past does not hold good because we do not do it logically in other areas of life . 2 world wars were fought between people of same faith (mostly excluding japan) viz Christianity . Religion was simply not the cause of it. Many a subsequent wars / recessions / conflicts /exploitation /corruptions/pandemic etc are simply not created by religions . In fact the opposite could be a reality . Absence of credible real religion may have contributed to all such issues . God simply does not need any religions. He can manage anything with extreme ease .It is for our benefit that we may need it.

Commonalities
There are many like
moral tenets expressed in religion neutral language
protection to weaker
supersoul / cosmic spirit as ultimate sovereign God in every religion
Existence of leading personalities in each religion symbolizing the abstract God in human in every religion though each faith can be free to call it son of God,messiah of God or God himself/herself .
In view of larger commonalities , the difference in symbols and terminologies are more a trivia than substance. While we can take pride in symbols of religions it does not entitle you to treat other faith as inferior as core teachings of your own faith does not permit it .

Of course we all are in a way working on this already in limited way already by being active member trying to impart and imbibe the real spirit of life through mutual peaceful posts.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 09-01-2021, 04:33 PM
Chainer Chainer is offline
Newbie ;)
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 8
 
Cool

Have to say I love the act of violence comment earlier, actually got me to sign up to this forum in order to post a response..

The issue with all inter faith attempts is that the non-interfaith will turn on you as a heretic and few are brave enough to fight that.

Everyone who signs up to an organised region HAS to believe they are right, AND everyone else is wrong, otherwise you are simply not a member of the club. Left hand path is the only way forward.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 09-01-2021, 05:00 PM
Altair Altair is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3,839
  Altair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainer
Have to say I love the act of violence comment earlier, actually got me to sign up to this forum in order to post a response..

The issue with all inter faith attempts is that the non-interfaith will turn on you as a heretic and few are brave enough to fight that.

Everyone who signs up to an organised region HAS to believe they are right, AND everyone else is wrong, otherwise you are simply not a member of the club. Left hand path is the only way forward.

Depends on the religion, doesn't it? What if said religion is polytheistic and relativist?

Welcome to the forum.
__________________
~ Verus Nullus, Omnis Licitus

Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 09-01-2021, 07:36 PM
Drewskies Drewskies is offline
Newbie ;)
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 1
 
The philosophy I hold is to always let others hold their values and pretend that you hold a set of experiences that could justify their beliefs. You can't logically write off the faith of others without knowing the totality of how they got there.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 09-01-2021, 08:46 PM
Still_Waters Still_Waters is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 2,957
  Still_Waters's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
what is interfaith
Interfaith is
not random mixture of different faith
not negation of one's own faith
is an effort to find commonalities with others and promote harmony ,peace
should not be an effort to create walls , it should be an effort to create bridges
should increase faith , should promote scientific thought , discourage superstitious behavior,increase positive co-operation , energize people to activity , provide relief and hope to distressed , help create holistically better society
Need for interfaith
Many society are multi-faith and their constitutions are faith neutral . Equality of each faith/tradition before law is a wonderful thing . However in reality , it also results in absence of or neglect of faith in peoples individual lives. In many cases it does create lot other problems in relationships/professions/occupations/governance /finances etc. Interfaith in such cases help people re-discover their own faith . Of course existing mechanisms of each faith can and should continue as it is in this directions .
This forum definitely does try to fulfill this role in its unique way .

Technological progress, political revolution and economic prosperity has created an unprecedented democracy in each area of life (including spirituality / religion) . Inter-faith learnings can exhort faith leaders and practitioners to incorporate scientific / intellectual part of life in the faith's practices and rituals .

Further many a mono-religion societies do get into unscientific patterns . Inter-faith inspirations can help even these societies improve their structures and practices as well.

Finally spirituality is core part of life (as Gem told and its fact that spirit is there even when man is not thinking or aware about it .) . If anything like this help improve this core part , its definitely better. Documenting these core teachings for self and posterity is an important obligation for current generations.

Argument that religion has created problems in the past does not hold good because we do not do it logically in other areas of life . 2 world wars were fought between people of same faith (mostly excluding japan) viz Christianity . Religion was simply not the cause of it. Many a subsequent wars / recessions / conflicts /exploitation /corruptions/pandemic etc are simply not created by religions . In fact the opposite could be a reality . Absence of credible real religion may have contributed to all such issues . God simply does not need any religions. He can manage anything with extreme ease .It is for our benefit that we may need it.

Commonalities
There are many like
moral tenets expressed in religion neutral language
protection to weaker
supersoul / cosmic spirit as ultimate sovereign God in every religion
Existence of leading personalities in each religion symbolizing the abstract God in human in every religion though each faith can be free to call it son of God,messiah of God or God himself/herself .
In view of larger commonalities , the difference in symbols and terminologies are more a trivia than substance. While we can take pride in symbols of religions it does not entitle you to treat other faith as inferior as core teachings of your own faith does not permit it .

Of course we all are in a way working on this already in limited way already by being active member trying to impart and imbibe the real spirit of life through mutual peaceful posts.

Your points on "commonalities" are definitely a good starting point.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 09-01-2021, 08:53 PM
GlitterRose GlitterRose is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 370
 
Is interfaith viable?

Yes.

It does not flourish, however, when fundamentalism is present.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 09-01-2021, 11:26 PM
Gem Gem is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 20,513
  Gem's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Your point on "I AM <anything>" is indeed dualistic and divisive.

That is why I have specifically encouraged discovering the underlying ULTIMATE "core values" of the various faith in an attempt to establish unity.

One example would be the quote from the Jewish Psalm highly valued by the Hindu Ramana Maharshi.

"Be still and know that I AM God". (Psalm 46:10)

In stillness, there is no "I AM <anything>".

P.S. I could easily present parallel quotes from other traditions as well.




My theory is, a person is only religious at times when they engage in religious thought/activity. At times when they do not think that way, they have no quality of religion (hence they have symbols and rituals to remind them to think religiously). I think it's obvious that we are all aware in the same way and have a fundamental commonality which is regardless of our individual personalities. That makes religious identity irrelevant to a meditation of stillness, but religious people generally believe their religion is essential, and many more people think religions in general are very important. However, in context with 'be still', it doesn't matter if you are religious or not.

Its great that it doesn't matter, but if we really understood that, we wouldn't promote the necessity of religions as social pillars, especially considering their tendencies of conflict, war and other atrocities. Lets use an analogy. Suppose that I am a fantastic person. I give charity, help people whenever I can, use my wealth to the betterment of mankind and all that good stuff - but every few years, I go out and murder a prostitute. People don't say, Well, most of the time he does so much good, so we can overlook the occasional atrocity. No! I should hang for my crimes.

For some reason we say 'Yes, religions do terrible things... but they do so much good... so let them continue to be pillars of our of society. We need them. They are so important. They are instrumental to the national identity. People have the right etc etc etc. It is deeply ingrained in social psyche and constitutionally ingrained in society, but we should recognise the problem - at least be conscious of it - and leave religious thoughts to pass like any other thought. Eventually such thoughts will cease to occur and that will be the end religious entities.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 10-01-2021, 04:15 AM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 12,582
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterRose
Is interfaith viable?

Yes.

It does not flourish, however, when fundamentalism is present.

Some people believe fundamentalism lingers only in Christianity.....
__________________


 
       ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

      Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind
     whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

     ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜


Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 10-01-2021, 04:23 AM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: अनुगृहितोऽस्म
Posts: 12,582
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
My theory is, a person is only religious at times when they engage in religious thought/activity. At times when they do not think that way, they have no quality of religion (hence they have symbols and rituals to remind them to think religiously). I think it's obvious that we are all aware in the same way and have a fundamental commonality which is regardless of our individual personalities. That makes religious identity irrelevant to a meditation of stillness, but religious people generally believe their religion is essential, and many more people think religions in general are very important. However, in context with 'be still', it doesn't matter if you are religious or not.

Its great that it doesn't matter, but if we really understood that, we wouldn't promote the necessity of religions as social pillars, especially considering their tendencies of conflict, war and other atrocities. Lets use an analogy. Suppose that I am a fantastic person. I give charity, help people whenever I can, use my wealth to the betterment of mankind and all that good stuff - but every few years, I go out and murder a prostitute. People don't say, Well, most of the time he does so much good, so we can overlook the occasional atrocity. No! I should hang for my crimes.

For some reason we say 'Yes, religions do terrible things... but they do so much good... so let them continue to be pillars of our of society. We need them. They are so important. They are instrumental to the national identity. People have the right etc etc etc. It is deeply ingrained in social psyche and constitutionally ingrained in society, but we should recognise the problem - at least be conscious of it - and leave religious thoughts to pass like any other thought. Eventually such thoughts will cease to occur and that will be the end religious entities.

Gem,

One of my enjoyable memories are:
being invited by a Sikh, to sit down and have some tea and converse.
trying to find a restaurant with another person who that serves food for Muslims.
being invited by a monk in charge of a 'famous' Temple that when I am in his 'country', to come visit and spend a night.
having an in depth conversation with some Jehovah Witnesses that did not realize that Jehovah is first mentioned in Genesis 2:4.

and it goes on and on......... the barriers we believe that exist, only exist if we give that kind of thinking.......... energy.
__________________


 
       ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

      Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind
     whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

     ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜


Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 10-01-2021, 05:52 AM
Gem Gem is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 20,513
  Gem's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Gem,

One of my enjoyable memories are:
being invited by a Sikh, to sit down and have some tea and converse.
trying to find a restaurant with another person who that serves food for Muslims.
being invited by a monk in charge of a 'famous' Temple that when I am in his 'country', to come visit and spend a night.
having an in depth conversation with some Jehovah Witnesses that did not realize that Jehovah is first mentioned in Genesis 2:4.

and it goes on and on......... the barriers we believe that exist, only exist if we give that kind of thinking.......... energy.






Just to play devils advocate, I know there are good things which is why we tend to think religion is a great thing, but the dark side is there within the nature of the thing, so for me personally, I dont want to be associated with something like that, or other identity structures like political affiliation and nationality, but things like that exist in the world and I accept the good with the bad. I could give good examples of my dealings with religious institutions, but I can't use the good things to excuse the bad, and I can only hope that the fewer and fewer people identify religiously as time goes on... as well as racially, nationally and other identity structures ... because from the moment one separates and becomes 'something' that 'others are not', violence becomes inevitable. I get that people love their priests, temples, rituals and so on, and they hate the violence part of it, but you can't have one without the other. That's all I can say on the issue, and I'm happy to contribute to the thread, but I feel like I'm making things too dark and I don't want labour the point.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums